• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Our layers stopped producing this past fall, so we ate them. Don't expect the quantity and quality of meat you get from store chicken, but it was edible after chopping it up fine enough. We also pressure-canned some, and that seemed to make it less tough.

Chickens FTW.

I had a friend that raised fighting cocks. He told me that chickens lay according to the amount of day light and will leave off laying when the daya are shorter. So he kept a light on and they laid all year long.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I had a friend that raised fighting cocks. He told me that chickens lay according to the amount of day light and will leave off laying when the daya are shorter. So he kept a light on and they laid all year long.

Two schools of thought on this--one is that it is a great idea and the other is that to maximize lifetime return, you need to let your chickens rest when nature calls for them to do so.

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    We started lest spring with 20 chicks (buff Orpington). Ten have survived (we tried a very brief free-range trial, and our resident hawk and a couple of critters decimated the flock), and we have ample egg production. Hopefully we can get a brood or two this year, we plan to have nature raise them. Our goals for this year also include raising meat rabbits. I'm looking at the NZ and Cali, which seem to be good meat rabbits, especially when crossed. Eventually I'd like to get Silver Foxes (just because their purdier).

Top Bottom