• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a couple introductory comments prior to launching the post.

First, I am uncertain of the correct category for this post. I selected the one that seems most appropriate, but if the mods deem another location better I accept their decision and urge them to relocate it and provide additional information so I do not repeat the error.

Second, I am not trying to play the race card. I have trained in anthropology. I have worked in Asian and Afro-Caribbean nations. I speak three languages. I recognize the difference between racism and ethnocentrism. I also recognize that racism is found in every people group, not just in Caucasians. I believe racism is wrong, no matter which way the hatred goes. I believe ethnocentrism is natural, but education and interaction with people of many cultures will broaden an individual's understanding of his/her neighbor and facilitate mutual respect, even admiration.

Third, I believe in America and in Americans. I do not accept divisions based on race. Therefore, I do not normally use terms that segregate Americans by race. We are Americans, citizens of the greatest nation in the history of humanity. Not a perfect nation, but far better than any other to date.

With this preamble, I ask three questions based on the link I provide below.
    1. Is this an accurate description of Indianapolis?

2. If not, what can we do to counter this false information about our state, our citizens, and our capitol city?

3. If it is accurate, what can we do to improve the situation? This is our city. We can make it better.

Surge of black violence called ‘urban terrorism’

I look forward to your comments.

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Do consider the source of your information for a moment. World Nut Daily is always over the top on everything and they are usually wrong about everything. Circle Center Mall is hardly a war zone or hot bed of racial rioting, as they would make it out to be. The businesses that left didn't do so because of race rioting, either. They left because they were not profitable.

Are there criminal issues down there? Yes. Usually due to people dropping off their kids and letting them rove without supervision and some gang activity. This article is crap and just race baiting on the part of Joseph Farrah and his fellow whack jobs.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    The article is complete crap. There is some gang activity, and a lot of unsupervised teens running around in the evenings, but this is still a thriving retail area. The article notes
    "Today, Nordstrom is gone. As are many of the restaurants and shops. The rest of the mall and the surrounding area is increasingly hazardous – and empty – following a series of black mob riots featuring hundreds of people"

All it takes is actually going there and walking around to see that this is blatantly false. It's downtown, a few blocks from two major sports venues. St. Elmo's, Ruths Criss, Morton's and other upscale restaurants populate the area - empty storefronts fill up fairly quickly. This was Super Bowl village less than a year ago. The mall still connects to the new Convention Center and is situated among hotels like Hilton, Hyatt, Omni Severin, etc.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Throw out some facts without an analysis or correlation of the data and you have an OpEd. Writer suggests downturn in business directly related to black violence; wrong. I worked downtown for 15 years, you have to factor in the overall downturn in the economy. Restaurants and stores packed during lunch weren't after the downturn. I believe this was the prime factor in stores closing.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Do consider the source of your information for a moment. World Nut Daily is always over the top on everything and they are usually wrong about everything. Circle Center Mall is hardly a war zone or hot bed of racial rioting, as they would make it out to be. The businesses that left didn't do so because of race rioting, either. They left because they were not profitable.

Are there criminal issues down there? Yes. Usually due to people dropping off their kids and letting them rove without supervision and some gang activity. This article is crap and just race baiting on the part of Joseph Farrah and his fellow whack jobs.

You say "They left because they were not profitable." Any idea why they and so many others prior haven't been "profitable"? Could it be that many, many, others are like me and will NOT take my family there due to the 'gangs', 'groups of kids', 'angels in training groups' that are constantly there?

I don't care what race, nationality, height, weight, sex, or level of constipation they are. I will not put my family in that potential of harassment or danger and will not take them to that area. I spend my money and take my family to those areas that do NOT have those potentials of harassment or danger that I perceive. My money............My perception! :twocents:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

While I agree with your sentiment of the WND, there is actually a whole lot of truth (surprisingly) in which they report in this instance.

It is true that the businesses that left the CCM because of lack of an adequate profit margin. Though that lack of profit is due to people such as myself, that won't visit it and spend money there, because of the prevalent criminal elements and acts that are present in the area.

Even the IMPD admits the violent criminal problems plaguing the area, as Chief Rick Hite has stated in multiple interviews. Here is another one that was reported on Sunday: IMPD chief presents plan to make downtown Indianapolis safer - 13 WTHR Indianapolis. Note that he actually uses the phrase, "Urban Terrorism" when attributing and describing the violence downtown.

Combine this with the unruly behavior that people constantly see, especially around the time of the Indiana Black Expo.....and one no longer wonders why Steak N Shake and Walgreens had locked their doors during certain times in the past.

The perception, incorrect or not, is that young black men are armed, out of control, and in control of downtown Indy.

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    I read his book a couple of months ago and was disturbed by the amount of unreported violence. I may now be common place to get a flash mob together and rob stores etc.

cotter999

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Racism

I believe there is a lot of racism here in Indiana. I am from rural Minnesota. the only racism I had ever encountered was in the movies. After moving here, it has opened my eyes to a whole new world. I travel a lot for work. I belive that Indiana is one of the more racist state I have encountered.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I believe there is a lot of racism here in Indiana. I am from rural Minnesota. the only racism I had ever encountered was in the movies. After moving here, it has opened my eyes to a whole new world. I travel a lot for work. I belive that Indiana is one of the more racist state I have encountered.

That's a VERY open ended comment..........RACIST which way?

Black vs White
    White vs Black
    Both vs Both

Let me guess you're 30 and only been in 2 states? No offense just a thought.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Abandon%20Thread%20Just%20a%20reaction%20pic%20I%20made%20from%20this_e8a2d1_2370570.gif

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom