• ...and so much more!
  • nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Do you do it?

I'm thinking of setting up a small rain harvesting system.

My main concern is protecting it from freezing in the winter time. How do you protect from that and still have water available in the winter?

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    We have barrels set up in the basement and the water from the gutters runs to them and fills them up. Helps with drainage too because we have drainage issues around here. There is a filter on the incoming line to the barrels to get any sediment out and there is a pump going out that pumps it into the regular water supply.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    When I was a kid we lived on a farm that had a Cistern. You could put one in your basement using barrels or poly tanks or if your serious put one underground.

Check out google for design and other info..

We used to use ours for wash water, showers, laundry, etc but could use it as drinking water if needed.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I use 2x 275 gallon IBC containers

2309afh_27.jpeg

With with a diverter.

Simple, easy, and a large amount of water. even comes with a convenient drain valve.

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    I have been wanting to do something along these lines. My smallest outbuilding is a 30x60 so I can collect a good amount of water. My concerns would be making sure it is filtered and usable for garden and animal use and making sure it is not a breeding spot for mosquitos.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    My concern is keeping a large container of water stored outside in the winter. Do those freeze over entirely in the winter?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have a couple of 55 gallon plastic barrels that catch rain off of the shed for the garden. I just ran the gutters/downspouts to them. There is a 12V system (battery/solar/pump) to run the irrigation for the garden. I actually need to re-do it this year, as I let the pump burn up last fall (oops). Just let them freeze last winter - no issues. If you want to keep them unfrozen, either keep them inside or come up with a heater.

Next up is to get one of those 200+ gallon square tanks that dom1104 is using. I want to run my sump pump discharge and the main house's gutters into it. Then set up a second solar pump system for my wife's flower beds.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Yeah my issues as well Nate, can't put in an underground tank either. I have had white poly 55 gallon drums freeze and split the seems out. not sure how to help but I will follow the thread to see if someone has a solution for you. Good luck..

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Growing up, we had an in ground cistern. It was about the size of a swimming pool. The bottom was poured concrete with block walls about twelve feet tall or so. The top was at ground level and was a concrete slab. In the cistern was a filtration medium, the top layer was pea gravel, not sure what was beneath that. There was about a 2-3 foot airspace/overflow with about 4 feet of water before the pea gravel and the downspouts from the gutters kept it full and water was drawn from the bottom.. A really neat system.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a couple of 55 gallon plastic barrels that catch rain off of the shed for the garden. I just ran the gutters/downspouts to them. There is a 12V system (battery/solar/pump) to run the irrigation for the garden. I actually need to re-do it this year, as I let the pump burn up last fall (oops). Just let them freeze last winter - no issues. If you want to keep them unfrozen, either keep them inside or come up with a heater.

Next up is to get one of those 200+ gallon square tanks that dom1104 is using. I want to run my sump pump discharge and the main house's gutters into it. Then set up a second solar pump system for my wife's flower beds.

I presently have a couple barrels that I've yet to set up like this. How much irrigation can you get out of two barrels?

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    How much do those run Dom? Got an idea how they would handle the weather long term?

They have handled the last few winters just fine, other than that, couldnt tell ya.

I believe I paid $50 each.

It just occorred to me, please nobody run out and buy the first IBC you see, make sure what was in it was something inert.

Mine had koolaid mix in them.

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I think I just found a use for those extra drum heaters that I know of laying around somewhere.. Normally used to heat thick oil when you transfer it, makes it easier to pump.. I think I know where a few are.. You can pick them up for about $150 but they run on 110V AC and a lot of it too..

Saw these too for those square totes.. http://www.drumheating.com/

I like the air bubble idea, I would have to try it.

Interesting about the rain not yours BS, I'd have to ask them to prove it just so I understood.. Especially if a certain three letter all mighty word is in their state constitution... Like to see that argument..

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    They have handled the last few winters just fine, other than that, couldnt tell ya.

I believe I paid $50 each.

It just occorred to me, please nobody run out and buy the first IBC you see, make sure what was in it was something inert.

Mine had koolaid mix in them.

Thanks for the info! How much do they weigh?

Top Bottom