• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I’m hoping this is the best place to post my question. I’m looking for a good quality rain jacket. $200 or under is my budget for this. If you were to be out on the range all day in the rain this fall/spring, what would you want to be wearing?

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Marmot, but mine wasn't under 200. It's the only rain jacket that doesn't make me feel like I'm trying to cut weight for wrestling, and the hood can be adjusted so it doesn't fall over your eyes or get sideways on your head. I think they have some in your price range. Also, they have excellent return/warranty policy and real people answer the phone.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Marmot, but mine wasn't under 200. It's the only rain jacket that doesn't make me feel like I'm trying to cut weight for wrestling, and the hood can be adjusted so it doesn't fall over your eyes or get sideways on your head. I think they have some in your price range. Also, they have excellent return/warranty policy and real people answer the phone.
    Thank you. I’m trying to avoid those cheap rubber things that burn you up. I have a 5.11 rain jacket but after a few hours it’s just rain resistant.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I got wet through my Marmot after it was about ten years old. I called them up, sent it in, and now I have a new one, even though I bought the old one 60% off from Sierra trading post. Rain beads up and rolls off this one. They had a great Father's Day sale so I also got a nice pair of gloves at the time with my credit from the warranty return. Buy once, cry once, I wish they sold more stuff I needed!

ETA: Mine is rn #79448 ca#32277, maybe one of those is a part number

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Thank you. I’m trying to avoid those cheap rubber things that burn you up. I have a 5.11 rain jacket but after a few hours it’s just rain resistant.
    I have a Carhartt that's the same.

In your price range, for staying dry all day, I'd look at a Helly-Hansen Dubliner jacket.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I’m trying to avoid those cheap rubber things that burn you up. I have a 5.11 rain jacket but after a few hours it’s just rain resistant.
    I've never seen one that wasn't, regardless of the cost or materials. All of the "breathable" materials eventually saturate. The higher the quality the more time it buys you but they're all going to eventually turn in to a garbage bag.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    Army surplus ECWCS Gortex outer shell. I've had mine for over 10 years and have never had any issues with it. I also bought the Gortex pants. Mind you this is what they use for the outer shell for their cold weather clothes but it serves its purpose well.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I have an Outdoor Research rainjacket that's been awesome !
    Keep in mind, that I don't sit in a treestand all day in the rain, but the brand is solid.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    If for active use look for some pit zips so you can vent and don’t get wet from sweat. From my experience Goretex just can’t quite cut it if you are working up a sweat.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I have a Marmot rain jacket and Frogg Toggs jacket and pants. If it's warm weather, I can't wear the Frogg Toggs. In cold weather I have a Kuiu shell that is waterproof and windproof.

Top Bottom