• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nakatomi

Tactically Cool
    Rating - 98.7%
    76   1   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have been watching this over and over. I think he had to have missed on purpose.

His first shot, he takes his time, a long, slow, dramatic draw on a large man ten feet away who is not trying to dodge out of the way, just begging "please don't". Unless he was falling down drunk or blind, there is no way in hell you could miss that first shot. Also, the guy he is shooting at takes a good 3 or 4 seconds to realize he isn't dead and head for the floor, where the gunman could have easily shot him a few more times for good measure. Second, the discharge into the floor, he doesn't seem surprised...like maybe it's intentional, to scare the people into moving. Only the third and forth shots (after he has been shot) look like they may be intentionally aimed at people behind the desk, who are all on the floor at this point. Maybe he didn't think he would actually get shot at? Honestly, if the plan was to kill everyone, I think the first bullet would have been between the purse lady's eyes at point blank range.

Thoughts?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have been watching this over and over. I think he had to have missed on purpose.

Thoughts?

I don't see that. To me he looks like the classic example of someone trained "by the movies".

While most would ask "how on EARTH could he miss from that close?!", I think his apparent lack of trigger control was the culprit.

Its easy for those of us who enjoy the shooting hobby to forget that some people just don't get sight picture + trigger control. For all we know his grip could've been all crooked, he didn't line up his sights, and he yanked the trigger hard to the right, resulting in a miss.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I agree. If you've ever seen someone shoot a pistol who has never shot at all, they can easily miss the entire man-sized target from just a few yards away.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I think he was totally surprised by the shot into the floor.
    He jumped when the gun went off.

It is interesting that his gun hand goes waaay farther up than the recoil itself would have done. Almost over his head.
    Just another clue that he was trained by TV

And he wasn't shooting at the people behind the desk with the two shots ofter the shot into the floor.
    It looks like return fire at the deputy that shot him to me.

My video freezes after the first 6 shots and you hear a lot more shooting.
    Does everyone's video do that?

Last edited:

earlykyler2012

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Grant County
    I read or seen somewhere that his wife said he was an excellent marksman and that he most likely missed everyone on purpose. Tragic situation and I feel sorry for everyone involved.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    This guy was epic fail. All the news stories are epic fail boring. The stupid woman swinging her purse was extremely stupid in provoking the situation even more. All the coverage on this thing is fail. Maybe this is a damn good reason to carry a firearm/ allow carry on campus. 3 armed people in that meeting could have stopped this very quickly but, hey w/e Idc I carry where I carry and I can understand the gunmen to an extent. My wife is a teacher and to see these school board members making 6 digits firing people who are barely making a living is disgusting.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    This did not happen. It was all faked.

Duke (the gunman) was a convicted felon (illegal) who allegedly took a firearm into a school zone (illegal). Applying the flawless logic of the Indiana General Assembly, making something double illegal makes it impossible.

Sharp as a Marble - This simply CANNOT happen

Also, I think I heard somewhere that it is illegal to murder someone. (I couldn't find it in the IC, but a guy at the gun store told me it was a no no.) So what he did was TRIPLE illegal.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Also, I think I heard somewhere that it is illegal to murder someone. (I couldn't find it in the IC, but a guy at the gun store told me it was a no no.) So what he did was TRIPLE illegal.

If it was triple illegal, then it could have happened. Double illegal would have cancelled itself out, but triple not so much.

On a serious note, there has been coverage tonight on this and I was suprised to learn that the security guy was shooting from the back of the room, not the front corner off to the left. I had thought that the gunman was returning his fire after taking that inital hit, but once he was hit, the gunman was trying to shoot the board members. Also, from the angles shown on the TV tonight, the security guy is darned lucky he did not take out a board member himself.

From watch the video several times, I think the gunman went in to shoot people, but when it came time to do it, he had trouble bringing himself to shoot a person in cold blood. Once the shooting started though, he got over that quickly and tried to take out at least one board member and luckily failed.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    He has been charged with firearms offenses before so we know he isn't a new shooter. He also said he was going to die here tonight. I think he waited 6 min on purpose. Then when he figured police were just outside he intentionally missed the first shot hoping they would storm the room and kill him.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    I found his note he left on Facebook interesting.
    Although I can relate to his disenchantment with society I hope and pray others like him will find better ways to deal with it.

iqznt1.jpg

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    Does anyone think it would have been an effective tactic to jump on the guys back with a "combat pen" plunging it into the gunman's face from behind? ..instead of the purse hit ..and if the lady had been physically stronger.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    He has been charged with firearms offenses before so we know he isn't a new shooter.

All that means is that he's used a gun to commit a crime before, that doesn't mean he's a shooter, or knows what on Earth he is doing.

Then when he figured police were just outside he intentionally missed the first shot hoping they would storm the room and kill him.

Still don't buy that. Sure, he may have wanted to commit 'suicide by cop', but I don't think he was intentionally missing.

I was suprised to learn that the security guy was shooting from the back of the room, not the front corner off to the left.

I too initially thought the guard came from the left off-camera. This better explains now why the perp moved like he did after being hit, as it looked like it bit him from behind.

swelch76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    wow watch the men turn into a bunch of sniveling biotches kinda funny and we wonder where america has gone to....one man and one women step up but the rest show their vag's...i will get your wife a job who is she again i dont sign the papers!!! only going to get worse

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Does anyone think it would have been an effective tactic to jump on the guys back with a "combat pen" plunging it into the gunman's face from behind? ..instead of the purse hit ..and if the lady had been physically stronger.

She wouldn't have to be stronger. Just more knowledgeable of technique and anatomy. A pen, eyeliner, flashlight, anything long enough to protrude from a fist could work. No jumping on, just hammer fist blows on 45 degree angles to the back of the head would likely have dropped him like a rock.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Women (or people) that care enough to risk themselves to stop a threat but don't feel like firearms are their answer would benefit from tasers....or at least she may have.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I found his note he left on Facebook interesting.
    Although I can relate to his disenchantment with society I hope and pray others like him will find better ways to deal with it.

iqznt1.jpg

Agreed. I do fear that we are heading into a dark time where normal people feel justified in attacking the system in this manner.

Top Bottom