Ramp Traffic Lights And Variable Speed Limits On 465…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    According to the Indiana Department of Transportation, new technology will regulate the flow of ramp traffic merging onto I-465 beginning in early May. Drivers will see the changes on the southeast side at the following locations:

• Emerson Ave.
    • Southeastern Ave.
    • Shadeland Ave.
    • Brookville Rd./US 52
    • Washington St./US 40

This summer, the southeast 465 corridor will also see Variable Speed Limits, which will adjust to account for traffic flow, crashes, road hazards, work zones and weather conditions.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Are variable speed limits even legal?

Don't municipalities have to perform traffic studies in order to change speed limits?

Is the State not beholden to those things?

One of these metered on-ramps is on one of my routes home. I'll either take Shadeland south to 465 or I'll hop on 465 @ I-70 - depending on how bad 465 south bound is on the East side.

Will it help anything here in Indy? I don't know. First inkling is that no it won't. But metered on-ramps are a thing in many other places, so it's not like it's a new thing in general.

Also note: IMPD is disallowed from "chasing". so if a feller chooses to ignore the ramp red-light, IMPD is somewhat powerless. But it's the ISP who generally deals with 465 and they're most certainly NOT powerless. Interpret that as you will.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Variable speed limits? There are already 2 speeds on 465, go like he** is trying to catch you or turtle. It's already variable!
    Metered on ramps? How do you meter the I have to get there now mentality? Gates?
    Minneapolis/St Paul has traffic lights some of their on ramps now, not impressed with how they work. If you have seen that in action it can cause many more problems than it solves!
    Common courtesy and common sense work much better, now if we could just find either in the current stock of drivers (seems to have gone the way of 154 genders).
    :crying:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This takes the human ability to adapt out of the equation completely, merging in heavy traffic is a cooperative process that is being dumbed down because the idiots being referenced in the traffic laws thread are too stupid and selfish to get along with others.

So we spend millions to regulate their stupidity…

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    We're talking about drivers who have never set foot in the BMV and aren't literate enough to read a sign. They'll ignore this like they ignore everything.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    One of these metered on-ramps is on one of my routes home. I'll either take Shadeland south to 465 or I'll hop on 465 @ I-70 - depending on how bad 465 south bound is on the East side.
    Sorry to burst yer bubble, but these lights/meter are already in place on the S Shadeland to 465 ramp, which is part of my daily commute to Greenwood.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    There are no shortage of fools that end up in positions who can effortlessly and consistently make up some new rule to make things exponentially worse than they already were.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    According to the Indiana Department of Transportation, new technology will regulate the flow of ramp traffic merging onto I-465 beginning in early May. Drivers will see the changes on the southeast side at the following locations:

• Emerson Ave.
    • Southeastern Ave.
    • Shadeland Ave.
    • Brookville Rd./US 52
    • Washington St./US 40

This summer, the southeast 465 corridor will also see Variable Speed Limits, which will adjust to account for traffic flow, crashes, road hazards, work zones and weather conditions.

I think this is possibly one of the stupidest ideas I've ever seen.

Top Bottom