Ramp Traffic Lights And Variable Speed Limits On 465…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Variable speed limits? There are already 2 speeds on 465, go like he** is trying to catch you or turtle. It's already variable!
    Metered on ramps? How do you meter the I have to get there now mentality? Gates?
    Minneapolis/St Paul has traffic lights some of their on ramps now, not impressed with how they work. If you have seen that in action it can cause many more problems than it solves!
    Common courtesy and common sense work much better, now if we could just find either in the current stock of drivers (seems to have gone the way of 154 genders).
    :crying:

The Twin Cities must have put them back, because they had removed them back in 2005 or so. I moved to Minnesota in 1998 and they had them everywhere in the Twin Cities area. They don't work. They are a horrid idea. I celebrated my butt off when they removed them and I can honestly say that traffic got much better after they were removed. Since Minnesota has gone even more insane Left than previously, I'm not surprised they put them back.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    The Twin Cities must have put them back, because they had removed them back in 2005 or so. I moved to Minnesota in 1998 and they had them everywhere in the Twin Cities area. They don't work. They are a horrid idea. I celebrated my butt off when they removed them and I can honestly say that traffic got much better after they were removed. Since Minnesota has gone even more insane Left than previously, I'm not surprised they put them back.
    I left MN around 98 and didn't know they took them out. Taking them out was the smart move, so I would guess they probably have put them back since politicians are all knowing (in their own minds). :lmfao:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    And they miss the point. So we go from congested 465, to semi-congested 465 with traffic snarls at the on ramp intersections. Imagine wanting to turn left to enter 465, but you cant because the ramp is backed up.
    Yes I'd love to see the traffic light logic. If the queue line is full does it stop metering to try and clear the surface road intersection? What happens when the interstate is a parking lot and cars still want to merge?

Variable speed limits have never made sense to me. Speed limits are naturally reduced when traffic is heavy because no one can go faster. The posted speed limit could be 80 but you're still only going to be driving 35 when the traffic is backed up at rush hour. Attempting to reduce it in advance isn't going to solve a supply & demand based problem.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    What could possibly go wrong with bunching traffic trying to enter 465 up even more than normal and ensuring that they'll likely have a speed deficit when they are finally blessed with a chance to merge?

Also, it makes perfect sense that such a brilliant and foolproof plan to reduce traffic backups and jams would be first implemented in the quadrant of 465 that has the lightest traffic load.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    These systems are used successfully in other metropolitan areas. There is no reason to think they cannot also be used successfully here.

These aren't new things. Not new ideas. New to here yes. But not new.

Lots of INGOers are apparently fully aboard the "new = bad" train. Gonna start yelling at clouds next? Sheesh.

Most of y'all would complain about being hanged with new rope.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    These systems are used successfully in other metropolitan areas. There is no reason to think they cannot also be used successfully here.

Lots of INGOers are apparently fully aboard the "new = bad" train. Gonna start yelling at clouds next? Sheesh.

I believe the fact is most of us support fixing the problem rather than wasting money on temporary solutions at best…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This *is* an attempt to fix the problem.

No one here is a traffic engineer of any sort. Let the actual experts deal with their subject area of expertise.
    Well, after seeing them make a total mess out of their previous efforts, why would we? These are the same people that thought "collector feeder" ramps were a good idea. Having traffic that is gaining speed merge with traffic that is losing speed... yeah, what could go wrong? :rolleyes:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

I lived and commuted in an area that had these for years and I can honestly say these are crap. The biggest thing I can remember from my time in Minnesota is when these were removed and traffic improved dramatically.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Well, after seeing them make a total mess out of their previous efforts, why would we? These are the same people that thought "collector feeder" ramps were a good idea. Having traffic that is gaining speed merge with traffic that is losing speed... yeah, what could go wrong? :rolleyes:
    Again - collector / feeders are literally used all over the country. They work. Just like the diverging diamond intersections. They work.

The problem is people. Can't change their ingrained poor habits.

465 could be 12 lanes wide each direction and there would STILL be issues because people don't plan ahead and jam over all the way from the inside to the outside to exit.

Again - these things aren't new ideas. They actually literally do work. They're not experimental. People just have to be open to a little change and not hold on to 50 year old ideas of how they *think* transportation should work.

Just because something's always been done one way doesn't mean that it has to continue.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Again - collector / feeders are literally used all over the country. They work. Just like the diverging diamond intersections. They work.
    No. They don't.
    The problem is people. Can't change their ingrained poor habits.
    Which is why they don't, and never will work.
    465 could be 12 lanes wide each direction and there would STILL be issues because people don't plan ahead and jam over all the way from the inside to the outside to exit.
    People are idiots, but encouraging them to be idiots is still a bad idea. Look at the I-74/Southeastern Ave. interchange on 465. People lose their freaking minds.
    Again - these things aren't new ideas. They actually literally do work. They're not experimental. People just have to be open to a little change and not hold on to 50 year old ideas of how they *think* transportation should work.
    No, traffic engineers need to change their thinking to how things actually work from how they think they should work.
    Just because something's always been done one way doesn't mean that it has to continue.
    But they (traffic engineers) still insist on making bad decisions and living in the should be world instead of the actually are world.

Top Bottom