• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkershner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    An unquiet solace
    Preamble: Last week I went to 500 Guns on 16th Street (Indy) and traded my Benelli Nova for a used 1187 SP Super Mag. I will be going pheasant hunting next week, so I wanted to get some trap practice at IGC with my new gun beforehand. In preparation for my first time use, I performed an initial teardown, o-ring replacement, cleaning and lubing. That's when I noticed a missing part.

1187 Super Mags are designed to be able to cycle 2-3/4" through 3-1/2" loads, but in order to reliably cycle 2-3/4", there is a part which is supposed to go between the piston and the o-ring, called the barrel seal activator (BSA). The BSA partially blocks the gas relief ports, forcing more gas against the piston. For 3" or stronger shells, the BSA is removed, as more gas is not needed.

Long story short (too late): mine was missing the BSA. I called Remington and they said they would send me one for free (I have not received it yet). So basically I went to the IGC with a gun that (I thought) was going to be a single shot.

Except it cycled the loads with almost no problem. 5 boxes of shells, 1 failure to feed. The failure occurred on the last box. So I feel pretty good about using it for pheasants next week.

On a different note, I shot it very well (for me). It fits me comfortably (might need a 1/4" LOP spacer), and points very well. I was just very comfortable with it overall.

Then it occurred to me (because I am dense apparently) that I was shooting Rio super game loads (1-1/4 oz, 3-1/4 dram). Um, maybe I solved the mystery of why it cycled without the BSA.

On another (different) note: Holy Crap my gas tube gets dirty!

9k=
    9k=
    1187After125Rounds_zps65ca0bcb.jpg.html
    1187After125Rounds_zps65ca0bcb.jpg

That's almost like a before and after shot. I've never owned a gas shotgun before. Is this normal? Is Rio ammo crap? Can anyone share their experience with the 1100/1187?

Indyhandgunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    Glad to hear your 11-87 supermag is working for you. People were knocking these guns left and right saying they wouldn't cycle the low brass at all. My friend has a 11-87 sportsman that he was having problems with cycling the low brass, going through it and polishing relevant internals with some steel wool really helped. Maybe give it a shot to make your supermag more reliable. And keep some CLP on that magazine tube for easy cleanup. 1100s and 11-87 can get real dirty, that looks fairly normal.

EDIT: I just saw what shells you were using, give some 1, 1-1/8 oz shells a whirl and see how it goes without the BSA.

Top Bottom