• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I got in on the 3/8" AR500 targets Field King sold and I had a chance to shoot them today. Since there were some questions about how AR500 holds up to centerfire rifles I took before and after photos.

So NIB:

IMG_6536.jpg

The 9" target took about 100 rounds from a .308 using FGMM, all from around 350 meters. The 6" about 200 from a 7mm WSM using 168 grain VLDs @ about 3040 fps, between 500 and 350 meters. Both targets handled everything just fine with no pitting.

So the 12" took about 50 hits from a 30-06AI. 210 VLDs @ 2900 fps. Most of them 200+ meters, lead splatter but no marks on the target that could be felt.

IMG_6547.jpg

Up close you should be able to tell that the marks are all on the surface.

IMG_6550.jpg

Since some of the questions I mentioned above were along the lines of how AR500 holds up at 100 yards, I moved in to 94 yards and put 3 rounds on the target. I don't normally shoot big rifles at steel that close, and I definitely don't recommend anything closer. With flat steel you won't get a ricochet directly, but with that much energy still moving you could catch a second bounce.

Anyway, each of the 3 rounds left a small crater. Looks like the steel flowed a little. You can see two of them near the edge of the penny added for scale.

IMG_6569.jpg

Another angle, where you can tell that the VLD opened up a little before it came apart. It isn't exactly a deep hole but it can be felt.

IMG_6573.jpg

I wouldn't use a big rifle on these this close again even though there is no danger of punching through. Over time they could probably take hundreds more rounds but eventually they'd pit too much to be safe. Keep in mind this was a hot load and a heavy bullet, I doubt FGMM out of the 308 would have done the same. Should have hung on to a round to see.

AR500 is supposed to have trouble with very fast rounds. If I can find time to run the press I have a 22-250AI 50 grain load that goes ~4100fps. See what that does next weekend.

Last edited:

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Awesome report, but what's bugging me are the simple physics involved, like what is the ballistic data of that 4,100 fps bullet? Do you have energy data for that sucker? Bc its gotta be amazing.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    How do you think the plates would handle .223 at 100 yards? Or surplus 30-06 from a Garand at 100 yards?

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Great information! Thanks for trying the rifle rounds at 100 yards. I got two sets from Field King but haven't put them out yet. Your report gives me confidence in their performance.

Rep sent your way. :)

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Is that actually a hole(dent) in you last 2 pictures? It looks like the bullet is just smashed into it and stuck there.

As best I can measure it s about 0.5mm into the plate. It isn't easy to measure but it looks like the impact removed a little steel. The flash makes the surface inside look the same as outside, but it is actually different.

techres said:
    How do you think the plates would handle .223 at 100 yards? Or surplus 30-06 from a Garand at 100 yards?

I don't think they would have any problem at all with typical loads out of either. If you really hammer a target in a short period of time from 100 yards or so you can get hot spots, which can lead to pits. You can also ding up your edges if you hit them. But other than that they should last a long time.

Top Bottom