• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    OK Folks, what we have here is a 1976 Glenfield (Marlin) Model 60 rifle in .22lr. As far as I know, and can tell, the rifle is completely stock. Mounted on top we have a Redfield 4x scope that has been on the rifle as long as I have had it.

This rifle was my first, given to my by my dad when I was about 10. I have shot it plenty of times, and just got it out last season for the first time in about 8 years. When I got it out it couldn't hold groups for shyte, I had constant FTEs along with a few FTFs, and I was about to give up on it by the end of the season.

Jump to about 3 weeks ago...I pulled it out this year and thought to myself, "Maybe it just needs a really good cleaning." So I just started taking it apart and HOLY CRAP! was it dirty. I cleaned it out best I could, and got it out to the range yesterday. WOW! what a difference. I was getting 4-5 shot groups touching, no FTE/FTFs, and was generally very pleased with my rifle.

This is that story in photo format...

The rifle as we know it.
    P5050116.JPG

The said scope.
    P5050118.JPG

Now for the groups I shot. All groups consist of 5 shots. These shots were taken from 25yds off a bench (if you wanna call it that - crappy support) and a front sandbag. The ammo in questions is 22 long rifle ammunition - cci 22 lr standard velocity 100 pack 0032 (although I got a bulk pack of 500 from Dick's).
    I shot a total of 7 groups for accuracy (and a few more for fun :ar15:), and I got the following results.

The seven groups in the order they were shot.
    1.79"
    .93"
    .85"
    .72"
    .85"
    .26" (.97" w/ called flyer)
    .50" (1.0" w/ called flyer)

High/Low/Avg Group Size
    1.79"
    .26" w/o called flyer/.72" otherwise
    .843"

As you can see the rifle is well capable of nice tight groups. The main problem was the shooter (myself). The biggest problem I had was trigger control/pull. The stock trigger is VERY heavy which caused me to pull a couple off the group. I am currently looking at ways to work with the trigger to get a lighter pull.

If there is anything you feel I left out, please let me know and I will try to add it in, as well as keep it in mind for future reports.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have one almost exactly like it, and can shoot out the center of a 1" bull at about 25 yds with it.

Mine also had a lot of FTF and FTE's until I gave it a really good cleaning. Now it runs like a champ. THat microgroove bbl has a lot of accuracy potential.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    I really like the Glenfield/Marlin 60s. Got 2 of them. One thing that a gunsmith told me is that these rifles get dirty really easy and it will affect function more so than other rifles. Had the same problems until a good cleaning and lubing then all FTF and FTE were pretty much solved.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Those Glenfields are awesome 22 rifles...They will get really dirty but keep 'em clean and you should be able to run about a bazillion rounds thru them!!!!

Top Bottom