Range Report P3AT: Backstory and photos.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Finally got to test out my new P3AT.

Backstory:
    Tried it on Wednesday but.....click no bang. No strikes to the primer. 5 different rounds.....
    Back to the store. The store, a site supprter BTW ,confirmed the issue and fixed it on the spot with phone support from KelTec. Apperently they tightened the fring pin screw down all the way before feeding the pin through the hole:):!
    Musta been a Friday in Florida!

Anyway finally got to test it out today. and the verdict is ....GREAT GUN!!!

I fired 103 flawless rounds through it. No FTF or FTE.

Ammo breakdown:

50 rounds of (yellowed old 70's looking box) PMC FMJ 90gr

30 rounds of minty Magtech FMJ 95gr

15 rounds of (yellowed old 70's looking box ) Fiocchi 90 grain FMJHP

8 rounds of GoldDot 90grain GDHP

How it shot:

Most were fired in 7 round sets. One in the chamber, 6 in the mag. No FTF or FTE. Most shot in K5 on a badguy target.

2 mags with one hand. All in K-5 at 7yards

At 7 yards all were on the paper. Most in K5 Zone. tried one mag at 15 yards and had 5 on the paper. Good enough for me at this point. It's a close distance weapon and my aim sucks! Hoping to get better. I tried one mag at spitting distance and could pretty much pick the spot. The final mag was a test. I figured the gun was dirtier than it would ever be when I'd carry. I loaded 2 speer, 2 fiocchi, and 3 Magtech. I made sure the Magtech was the one on the pipe. The rest were all mixed in no particular order. I figured 2 different types of 90grain HP's mixed with 95 grain fmj would be a good test. The fiocchi have a rounder profile and a smaller HP than the Speer as well.

Flawless performance!

Concerns, and a question to P3AT or even LCP owners:

This thing really crushes some of the casings! Is this normal for .380's in general, and for small ones in particular?
    The first few looked horrible with edges folded into the casing. It seemed to get better and just mis-shape them after awhile. The Speer were the least affetced.
    I shoot low with this. I started to come up as I went on but alotta nut shots on the poor badguy!

UPDATE: Just cleaned it and no major issues but the clip loosened up. Easy fix with the allen wrench. No big deal as I won't be shotitng 100 rounds in a SD situation.
    Maybe a concern with the recoil springs. the inner smaller one has curve to it when sitting out alone. Not a huge deal but it likely means I'll be buying some JIC.

Pics of gun and casings:

SANY0442.jpg

SANY0443.jpg

Top row are the earlier shots and worst examples. Bottom row are later rounds. Right 2 lower are Speer.

SANY0417.jpg

2 Worst casings:

SANY0439.jpg

5 worst casings:

SANY0440.jpg

So there ya have it!

2 questions for you all:

Do I have an issue because of the casings?

How many more rounds till I should consider it a reliabale carry piece? (assuming the smashed casing are "normal")

Next day update: Dang my hand hurts!!!!

Last edited:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Thats the same way my casings look. A friend at work said that was normal for the P3AT.

Good to know. (.380 is reloadable after this??)

Ya think I can trust it after only 103 rounds?

Also I like to ask about ccing it and not shooting myself in the A$$ while using the clip on Sunday.

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    Belt clip.... I have been carrying a P-32 with a belt clip for a few years now.. My rear is intact. I also carried the P-11 that way when I had it.

I would buy a P-3AT, but don't they jump around a lot in your hand?

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Belt clip.... I have been carrying a P-32 with a belt clip for a few years now.. My rear is intact. I also carried the P-11 that way when I had it.

I would buy a P-3AT, but don't they jump around a lot in your hand?

First time I shot it was toda....errr yesterday at this point.

Range guy asked if my hand hurt. Suprisingly no. It it totally controllable with 2 hands. I was able to hit COM with one hand at 7 yards.

It is snappy as they say.

You seem close enough to FW.

There's small group shooting at Roush Lake Sunday arounf 10am. If you want to come I'll bring it. Or I would shoot at Roush sometime tomorrow as well. (the let me shoot your .40 thread in handguns section)
    (I'd also love a crack at that P-32!)

pfeigert

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    I have a Ruger LCP and have not had any trouble with it. I have put 150 rounds through it and have not had the casing deformations you have experienced. I noticed one of the replies stated his did the same as yours and is considered normal. I'd let it go at that. As far as accuracy, the LCP is about the same as yours. My best effort was about 3 inches at 7 yards with a sand bag rest and using a Crimson Trace laser. I highly recommend the CT laser if for nothing else but to build muscle memory when you aim and shoot. I think the accuracy is fine for a short barrel, close use gun. Good luck with yours.
    Pete

Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Try calling KT and tell them about the crooked spring...I bet they will send you some freebies....they're a good outfit. Do the 3ATs still have the floating ejector...just slips in and can pop out? Just curious.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Try calling KT and tell them about the crooked spring...I bet they will send you some freebies....they're a good outfit. Do the 3ATs still have the floating ejector...just slips in and can pop out? Just curious.

I want to so yes. Not sure what you mean by "floating" but it is just a small piece that slips out when you clean the gun. Mine actually rquires a bit of pessure to take out. Good snug fit. Can't pop out when assemble as it is then part of the slide rail;kinda.

I'll call KT on the spring. It was NOT crooked when I cleaned the gun prior to the initial firing.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Would you guys carry this after the 103 good rounds or shoot another 50 or so to feel confident?

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Would you guys carry this after the 103 good rounds or shoot another 50 or so to feel confident?

That's ultimately a question only you can answer, since it's your butt ultimately on the line.

When in doubt, shoot some more.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    That's ultimately a question only you can answer, since it's your butt ultimately on the line.

When in doubt, shoot some more.

Well there was nothing that gave me concern in the operation of the gun.
    The cases did giv me concern but the bent over lip ones were in the begining. sartwell says his are mishapen and he heard that's normal. maybe it's due to the style of ejector.
    I'll run another 50 (30?. don't want to shoot my rare caliber too much!) to see if the curved spring does anything. After that I'll be confident. But I'm going to get another spring or 3 and make sure I have a straight one when it's cleaned and preppered to carry.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Keep in mind that, bent cases or not, your gun put the bullets out of the end and did not stop functioning. That is basically all you need it to do, even if it returned your cases as little tiny spit wads.

Confidence is confidence. If you aren't confident now, shoot it until you are.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Mooresville
    I finally shot my new P-3AT the other day, only did 12 rounds (don't have much to spare right now), but it worked flawlessly. And the few pieces of brass that I recovered were bent up also, but I guess that isn't so odd with this gun...

I wasn't real thrilled with the accuracy though. It was getting late in the day, and the sights were hard to see. I have since put a dab of white paint on the front sight, will have to try it again. However, it seems that the front of the barrel is able to move slightly side to side which cannot be good for accuracy.

50bmgshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Greenfield
    Should u carry a P3AT?? I usually carry mine everywhere I go. But its usually my backup. After the first time I shot it I just had to have it as a backup. The belt clip makes all the difference. Just slide it into my jeans pocket and it looks like a knife(except for the faint gun outline, but can't tell its a gun unless you're close and staring at it). But of course its only a pocket pistol and the accuracy is just what you all have been saying...."CLOSE" range!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Should u carry a P3AT??

I meant has it shown it's a good function gun. esrice set me straight. Ran another 30-40 through it at Roush the other day and no issues. I had other people try it as well. So I guess it's good to go.

I'm in Detroit tonite and tomorrow and it's my back-up:yesway:

Never had a back-up before.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Should u carry a P3AT?? I usually carry mine everywhere I go. But its usually my backup. After the first time I shot it I just had to have it as a backup. The belt clip makes all the difference. Just slide it into my jeans pocket and it looks like a knife(except for the faint gun outline, but can't tell its a gun unless you're close and staring at it). But of course its only a pocket pistol and the accuracy is just what you all have been saying...."CLOSE" range!

just out of curiosity, where do you shoot 50 bmg's in greenfield?

Top Bottom