Range Report - Shooting out to 730 yards with 42769vette (pics/vids)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Not knocking anyone or thing but does anyone live downrange from the shooting location. Shooting at open fields like that makes me paranoid. Dang nice place btw. I can just almost see deer walking around there.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Not knocking anyone or thing but does anyone live downrange from the shooting location. Shooting at open fields like that makes me paranoid. Dang nice place btw. I can just almost see deer walking around there.

The closest house that dirrection is roughly 3 miles away. and there is a huge hill and woods between us and them.

At one point a group of turkey walked out within 50 yards of the target.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    On the ammo, I have about 700rds 308 168gr fgmm left

On the 260 I have a bunch loaded with 140gr amax's over 42.5gr (I think) of H4350

On the 556 I loadedd up 50ish 69smk's over 24.5gr of varget.

On the M855 I grabbed a mag full for Evan to run threw his sbr.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    The closest house that dirrection is roughly 3 miles away. and there is a huge hill and woods between us and them.

At one point a group of turkey walked out within 50 yards of the target.

Gotcha. Sounds nice! I only have three acres and shoot at my place often. I had a berm put in but it still makes me paranoid as heck. I have to be very selective about letting people shoot on my little confined range.

**24 grains varget has always been a killer load for me with 69's and 77's. Have me a Douglas /Compass Lake 18" SS SPR barrel on it's way. Can't wait to fire it up!

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Very nice write up.
    Long range shooting is a lot of fun. Being successful (relative term) at it requires dedication to it.
    Making a large wind correction and still hitting the center of the target is one of the most satisfying feeling of accomplishment that I've had when shooting. Even more so when it's done with iron sights and a sling.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Even more so when it's done with iron sights and a sling.

On a side note I shot a garand slung up with irons not long ago. I made mabye 20% hits on that target at that range. Im not real good with a sling and Irons yet. It was my first time shooting slung up. I felt like somone beat me with a board the next day. Fat people dont bend well:D

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    On a side note I shot a garand slung up with irons not long ago. I made mabye 20% hits on that target at that range. Im not real good with a sling and Irons yet. It was my first time shooting slung up. I felt like somone beat me with a board the next day. Fat people dont bend well:D
    In prone, the body doesn't do much bending, however there are muscles being stretched that normally aren't. Sitting is a different story.
    Proper sling adjustment is a must when shooting prone as it will make for a much more enjoyable experience.

Sorry for the thread jack esrice.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    In prone, the body doesn't do much bending, however there are muscles being stretched that normally aren't. Sitting is a different story.
    Proper sling adjustment is a must when shooting prone as it will make for a much more enjoyable experience.

Sorry for the thread jack esrice.

I had a applesead instructor adjust my sling for me, and I probably was sore from musle stretching. I did learn a valuable lesson. You set up a scope diffrent for sling vs bipod. I couldn't use any of my scoped rifles without moving the scope

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Awesome review and pics/vids as always. I've only had the chance to shoot at 100yds, but am hoping to get out this spring/summer and stretch out my Savage .270win. I'd like to be able to shoot out to 500yds.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    wish there was a safe place to do this where i live i can do 400yards at the most but i have never tried that far as every thing i own at the time is iron sighted and i have to drive south of 40 to go there. edit/ does any body know how a penciled barreled Stevens 200(308) would do at 300 yards with federal gold metal match? all ive got is a nikon prostaff think that would work?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    wish there was a safe place to do this where i live i can do 400yards at the most but i have never tried that far as every thing i own at the time is iron sighted and i have to drive south of 40 to go there. edit/ does any body know how a penciled barreled Stevens 200(308) would do at 300 yards with federal gold metal match? all ive got is a nikon prostaff think that would work?

It would do fine. That scope will work ok (you will get some error from the parallax setting being for 100 yards) You will not be able to dial for range because the prostaf series does not track at all, but for 300 yards you should be able to hold for range

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    It would do fine. That scope will work ok (you will get some error from the parallax setting being for 100 yards) You will not be able to dial for range because the prostaf series does not track at all, but for 300 yards you should be able to hold for range
    well ive got it zeroed for 200 yards will that be a problem and it has that goofy bdc cross hair

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    well ive got it zeroed for 200 yards will that be a problem and it has that goofy bdc cross hair

The prostaff bdc is not very good for me personally. I like to aim at a spot not a area. With the open circle design on the prostaff it makes it dificult to aim at a spot. The further you get from 100 yards the more parallax will be induced. Id try it and if your results are un acceptable upgrade to a ao/pa scope at that point and time. There is no point in dumping money into a new scope if your current scope will work for your requirements. Alot depends on your definition of accepable accuracy.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    great writeup all. i know personally alan is a great host and a wealth of knowledge. with alans coaching, missy b hit 10 of 10 with my 243 ackley single shot at the 730 yd target.

something surprised me that alans 223 was loaded with 69 gr bullits in lieu of the 77's i thought you were loading. sounds like they hit fine though.

sorry the weather wasn't condusive to comfortable shooting, but i think the wind always blows on top of that hill/field, and feels 20 or so degrees colder that real temps.

again, great write up....daryll

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Top Bottom