Range Report - Wife's first time out (pic heavy)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My wife agreed to go to the range to see what all the "hooplah" is about. Instead of just going out and shooting, I made it a real class. We began with some history about guns in America, followed by present day law; caliber and purposes for various handguns, rifles, and shotguns. Next, we spent some time on safety, loading and unloading, and lastly... shooting with the S&W .22A-1.

She wasn't totally enthralled, but did enjoy shooting the .22 caliber. She ended with a go at the Glock 23 and didn't like it one bit. I think she hit the target sheet 11 times out of 60 shots, but I thought she did an outstanding job.

We ended the session with a trip to Bradis to show her where I buy guns. We looked at a couple of smaller handguns, but she most liked the polymer-framed Ruger .22 caliber. So, I will be selling some of my current guns to get the .22 that she likes. Most likely, she will like it enough to join me at the range once in a while. If she chooses not to do so, at least she has an understanding how to load, unload, aim (with some degree of comfort), and fire a gun. However, we will practice some of these techniques at home to keep her encouraged.

Overall, it was a great success, but I almost crapped when a fellow INGOer said, "I've been reading about you." :stickpoke: :rofl:

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Great job Que and Ms. Que! Sounds like a great range trip. You can tell by her stance that she wasn't exactly comfortable, but she hung in there! I love the big ****-eatin' grin you've got. Proud husband, aren't ya'!

What range is that? Looks nice....

Last edited by a moderator:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Good deal man, I hope this goes a long way to helping your situation.

Also kudos for making it a class and a class act. Too many reluctant people are just handed whatever gun is on hand and it turns what could have been a positive experience into a negative one.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Congrats on a good day. One thing I noticed from the pictures of the missus shooting was her stance and facial expression. It looked like she was expecting to get kicked by a horse. When I got down to your comment about her not liking the .40 caliber it made sense.

If she feels more comfortable with the .22, then run to the shop and help her pick up a good .22. After she gets comfortable with that she may graduate to larger calibers later on.

NOT, like those videos you see every so often where some a$$ gives someone a .50 Desert Eagle to shoot for the first time and thinks it's funny when they crack their head open.:D

I like the approach of the history lesson and philosophy of use also.:yesway:

Happy :ar15:.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Great job!!!

My wife and I don't shoot together anymore, she pretty much gave up on the sport several years ago, but has commented she might like to start up again.

However in the early years of our marriage (been married 25+) we used to Trap Shoot together a couple days each week. I found out that recoil was her enemy, while she never had any problems shooting her 12 gauge, she would be worn out after 3 or 4 rounds of Trap (100 rounds max). Once I figured out that shooting sessions needed to be a bit shorter things went along great with her as my shooting partner.

With your wife, quickly showing disdain for the short 40 Glock, I'd suggest you keep her on the light recoiling rounds. 22 and perhaps 9mm. Heavier guns also tend to moderate recoil.

With my daughter she really likes my (she now claims it) Browning Hi Power. Heavy steel gun + 9mm round = low recoil.

Your wife might appreciate the lighter recoiling guns with target sights. If she likes the plastic frame Ruger she might also like the Walther SP22. It looks more benign than a defensive pistol and you might be able to get her to accept a 'target' pistol as a first gun pretty easily.

DisplayPic.aspx

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Congrats! Rep given for you teaching someone the basics on shooting. Hopefully you can keep her interested and learning more.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks, everybody. The last two shooting pics at the bottom were the before and after of the one time she shot the .40 caliber. I just wanted to give her the opportunity to experience what is in the bedside drawer.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Congrats on making such progress in such a short time !

You'll know when you hit a home run when the first time you hear her refer to your guns as " our " guns. :D

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    Epic win for you and her! Thank you for sharing and congrats on a super job making it a great experience. Great post!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Well done, sir, and mam.

Now, go and enjoy something else that's her hobby - its the rule of marital reciprocity...

You make a cute couple,
    Techres

Top Bottom