• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Bubble-heads, all about them and themselves in their bubble.

Their take on Cooper's 4 safety rules(?):
    1) I already know what I'm doin. Mind your own business
    2) If I don't SEE that I'm pointin my gun at somebody else, I guess I ain't
    3) Don't pull the trigger unless you wanna to shoot
    4) If I'm shootin thata way, they ain't supposed to be there, and If they're shootin in THAT lane, their bullets are over there.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    And keep your eyes open while you are waiting on the line for those downrange to return. Dont be afraid to call somebody out for gun handling while the range is cold. Some suggest that nobody should even be touching a gun while somebody is down range. (prevents somebody that is "just going to check something" from forgetting its cold and loading up again, jeopardizing the safety of others. )
    Agreed.
    And re not touching a firearm while others are downrange ... gospel AFIC.
    As we've often said here and elsewhere, guns not being handled rarely "just go off" or shoot someone.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And keep your eyes open while you are waiting on the line for those downrange to return. Dont be afraid to call somebody out for gun handling while the range is cold. Some suggest that nobody should even be touching a gun while somebody is down range. (prevents somebody that is "just going to check something" from forgetting its cold and loading up again, jeopardizing the safety of others. )
    exactly. Call "COLD" until every shooter responds with arms up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Agreed.
    And re not touching a firearm while others are downrange ... gospel AFIC.
    As we've often said here and elsewhere, guns not being handled rarely "just go off" or shoot someone.
    I clear the action/drop mag/lock the slide back/insert a flag.

Absolutely no doubt the gun is clear/safe.

The gun/guns are pointed down range and not touched until the line is called hot again and "ALL" shooters are aware.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Back in the old days, JP didn't have a range worker. I was changing targets when a Jed Clampett drove up, hopped out, and cranked off a muzzleloader on the 265 yard line. ( I was a lane over)
    I racked a round in my Mini14, and yelled he would be next! Guy got in his 3 colored Pickup and booked. Always took a safety person after that. Don't trust anybody on a public range!

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I guess I'm more or less asking what that action would look like. Do you go stall to stall? Is there a bell to ring? (Haha @ the thought!)
    At JP, it is more or less regulated by the body of shooters on the line. They do have one or two ROs on duty but that particular property is large and spread out and they are always roaming up and down the line in their trucks. If I want to change a target (assuming that it's been some time since the last cease fire), I will yell down the line and others will start passing the word. Once everyone gets the message, they will put down their weapons and step back behind the benches. Sometimes you will have shooters who are unaware of the concept but they pick it up pretty quickly. Once the benches are clear, people go down range. Making the line hot again kinds of works in reverse of what I just described. Everyone then gives a thumbs up to signify that they are ready for a hot line. It all relies on everyone being knowledgeable and cooperative.

The smaller modernized ranges (like Willow Slough) are pretty tightly controlled by the RO.

Some shooters don't like the rules or don't agree with them and will grumble about it when the RO gets after them. I try to do my part and politely educate others who seem to be unaware of the rules. Most are accepting of it and cooperate. I think that too many new shooters are getting into the activity without ever having any kind of safety training.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At JP, it is more or less regulated by the body of shooters on the line. They do have one or two ROs on duty but that particular property is large and spread out and they are always roaming up and down the line in their trucks. If I want to change a target (assuming that it's been some time since the last cease fire), I will yell down the line and others will start passing the word. Once everyone gets the message, they will put down their weapons and step back behind the benches. Sometimes you will have shooters who are unaware of the concept but they pick it up pretty quickly. Once the benches are clear, people go down range. Making the line hot again kinds of works in reverse of what I just described. Everyone then gives a thumbs up to signify that they are ready for a hot line. It all relies on everyone being knowledgeable and cooperative.

The smaller modernized ranges (like Willow Slough) are pretty tightly controlled by the RO.

Some shooters don't like the rules or don't agree with them and will grumble about it when the RO gets after them. I try to do my part and politely educate others who seem to be unaware of the rules. Most are accepting of it and cooperate. I think that too many new shooters are getting into the activity without ever having any kind of safety training.
    Yeah there are a few here that dont like the rules and grumble/throw fits when you call them on it.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    I truly don't understand people who both buy guns and then take them out in public without a clue as to their safe operation and apparently little desire to learn.
    I honestly just don't get it. I'd be horrified if I behaved poorly at the range.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I truly don't understand people who both buy guns and then take them out in public without a clue as to their safe operation and apparently little desire to learn.
    I honestly just don't get it. I'd be horrified if I behaved poorly at the range.
    Ignorance

But mostly, just plain stupid.

Top Bottom