• ...and so much more!
  • vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    Hit the range today with Allen to try out the CW9

Started out with Federal 9mm and didn't have any problems, it shot well, the recoil was mild and the gun was FUN TO SHOOT! I was hitting a bit to the right often, still not sure if it was me or the gun. Shot some of allens hotter hand loads, at bit snappier recoil but still fun and easy to shoot, did quite a bit of one handed shooting and it wasn't difficult.

On the 4th mag of reloads (flat nosed 9mm) on the 3rd or 4rd round the magazine catch caught the slide an i had to release it, it continued fine for a while after that. Went through the rest of the Federal and then started with Winchester White Box. Ran 6 mags through it without any problems, despite the ammo looking like crap. Went back to the reloads and on the 2nd mag the slide locked back again like before, all i had to do was release it (i noted i was shooting one-handed this time).

On the 4th mag it happened again on the 3rd/4th round, the slide stop locked the slide back. Finished off that ammo with a final mag and it malfunctioned a 4th time on the 2nd shot. Fired off 4 more rounds and thought the gun was empty but the 5th malfunction was the slide failed to go fully into battery, it took a light push, so that might have been due to the reload.

I finished off using his hotter loads which were hollow-points, they were rounded like FMJ's and we were hoping they wouldnt catch the slide stop like the flat-points might have been doing. Fired 3 mags without a problem, however on the 4th mag, on the 3rd round the slide stop locked back again. I made note that 4 out of 5 of these occurred on mag #2. Fired off the last 3rds we had left just fine.

So overall I put about 230 rounds through it. 100 factory, 130 reloads. Had 5 stoppages due to slide-stop, 1 was failure to go into battery. I had to make sure to sling-shot the slide upon loading to avoid the slide getting stuck with the bullet against the feed ramp. There are some videos on youtube discussing the Slide-Stop issue so hopefully i can resolve it because i really like this gun.

As for accuracy, i got some groups as small as maybe 2 inches, but on average i was more in the 4-5 inch range, this is only my second time out shooting in about 10 months:dunno: The trigger on it was great, not too long, once i got used to about where it broke at i really enjoyed it, getting back on target quickly was a breeze. I could have just kept on shooting this gun, it was really great.

Now for pics:popcorn:

PF9 given one last chance, fired 3 shots and each time the mag popped out the bottom (im left-handed) then on the 4th round it failed to extract. It's time this pistol goes...

First Target 10 yards, pulled to the bottom right in the chest area at first, had flyers all around though.

2nd and 3rd target was placed over it, 10 yards

4th target, 10 yards (their was a horizontal string across the neck from Allen and his .357 sig 1911) I was pulling to the right on all three heads, we decided to kill the hostage but it wasn't difficult hitting the heads at that range. The group on the hostage's head bottom center was done at a faster pace, so not bad.

5 target, 25 yards. Was all over the place but at least i was hitting the paper.

And Allen on his .357 sig (which was a tack-drive ;D)

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    It did feel good to get to the range today. seems like forever since last time.
    This was the first time I have shot a CW9. I have been eyeballing them for a while now for summer carry.

Felt good, nice soft recoil compared to the PF9. definitely on my buy list now. I think the slide lock issue will be easily corrected based on what I have read so far.

Just a nice little single stack 9mm.
    It handled my HD practice rounds just fine I think the extra recoil was what aggravated the slide lock issue. Defiantly a problem for a carry gun with full power ammo.

Side note my 10/22 ran great, I picked it up used and it didn't run the first time out but a good cleaning seemed to be all it needed :)

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    thanks for the links you sent me allen,

i did some light filing off the slide stop to give the bullets a bit more clearance, this should hopefully resolve the issue.
    mag 1 as the mag passes the slide stop (not fully seated)

mag 2 as it passes it

here's an example of the bullet pushed forward since after firing the following round gets pulled forward

and here is the mag fully seated empty, it still fully catches the mag follower.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    not bad, one family down at the other end and then halfway through another couple showed up. when we were packing up at 1pm there was only one guy showing up and a couple behind the berms

Top Bottom