• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So now the new range is set up for anything short of a rocket launcher. I have it at full 10 feet tall 12 feet long and about 10 feet deep give or take a bit.

Before I was using parts of an old soccer goal frame to hang my plates off of. Now that it’s a bit taller I am looking for some ideas to hang the targets. I would prefer to stay away from wood due to it being out in the elements 24/7.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Why stop there, Rocket Launchers are fun!

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    How about using an "A" frame made out of 1/2in rebar? I've got a couple I had welded up that are 20yrs old. I hang whatever plates from them using 2in strapping and a couple of bolts to hold it all together.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I made this to be a portable hanger. I've since modified it to have a longer crossmember. I don't use it much anymore since the range where I'm a member has put steel targets on all the ranges. It was just made with the "sawhorse" brackets and 2x4's.

ETA: Note, I do NOT shoot at it here in my back yard. :):

1686604487239.jpeg

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I made this to be a portable hanger. I've since modified it to have a longer crossmember. I don't use it much anymore since the range where I'm a member has put steel targets on all the ranges. It was just made with the "sawhorse" brackets and 2x4's.

ETA: Note, I do NOT shoot at it here in my back yard. :):

View attachment 281226
    Well I don’t see a problem clearly you would not miss.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Speaking of upgrades I need to get more railroad ties. My old ones are about shot.... pun intended :):

I haven't seen any available lately around Dearborn or Ripley County. Any ideas where they might have some in my local area?

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Seen a guy using the big square hay bales as backstop.
    Would that actually stop anything over a 22lr?
    Depends on the caliber and bullet, endwise works fair, side to side no. A 3x3 will stop a .223 coyote round. 30-06 ball, doubt it.

Who the heck would ruin a 70.00 bail of hay?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Depends on the caliber and bullet, endwise works fair, side to side no. A 3x3 will stop a .223 coyote round. 30-06 ball, doubt it.

Who the heck would ruin a 70.00 bail of hay?
    It wasn't a bale it was about 7 at what I could tell 4 on bottom 3 more stacked on top.
    Maybe he just shoots handguns?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I like my silhouettes separate from my 8" plates that are on the hundred.

Another way to hang the more standard silhouette that has the two holes in the shoulder; bolt an angle iron across those two holes, weld a 2x4 ish i.d. tube on that pointing down (with a cap on the top) and 2x4 i.d. piece is welded to whatever your ground support is and the 2x4 wood holds the silhouette at your desired height, but easy to break down and move to mow.

I'll try to get pictures of these mounts soon. The t post holder could be made out of the funny triangle-circular PTO shaft, thats what this reminds me of.
    I made something like that. Used angle iron to make the ‘cup’ for a 2x4. I also made an ‘H’ shaped base out of angle iron. I don’t have a personal range, so having this design is easy setup and simple to transport in three pieces. As the 2x4 gets shot up or beat up by splatter, just replace it Or cut it down.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom