• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    If someone gets hired there, please explain to me the outright ban on 5.45x39. I've been told three different excuses by two counter employees and a corporate spokesperson, none of which make any sense whatsoever.
    I can answer that. Someone at corporate mistakenly believes that all 5.45x39 is steel core ammo.. Store manager (at Greenwood) understands but corporate will not relent because they are, in many respects completely ignorant concerning firearms.
    Example is that range counter employees always ask "rifle or pistol" rather than caliber. I've noticed that a 22 rifle is not nearly as loud as as an AK pistol.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I can answer that. Someone at corporate mistakenly believes that all 5.45x39 is steel core ammo.. Store manager (at Greenwood) understands but corporate will not relent because they are, in many respects completely ignorant concerning firearms.
    Example is that range counter employees always ask "rifle or pistol" rather than caliber. I've noticed that a 22 rifle is not nearly as loud as as an AK pistol.

I appreciate the helpful reply, thanks. One of the counter guys in Carmel said the same thing about it being banned since some is steel core. When I mentioned M855, he referred me to a manager, who made some general comment about Russian ammo sanctions and gave me a corporate number to call. The lady at corporate said they banned it outright in their ranges because Range USA has a policy about not selling imported ammo...

tenor.gif

Anyway, their house their rules, but it's frustrating as hell to say the least.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I had a membership for years, but finally gave it up. Way too many stupid rules. Straw that broke the camels back was having to load mags in the stall. I go quite often with someone else and share the lane and that takes a lot of the range time up for no good reason. Yes I'm aware that a lot of the people who shoot there are ignorant and dangerous around guns, but when you already have a policy to keep all the guns in the stall, I'm not sure why penalizing everyone to load mags in the stall is the outcome to prevent the occasional idiot from playing with their guns at the back table. I otherwise like the place and the employees I've met there, but prefer going to outdoor ranges anyway. When I do feel like going to an indoor range I meet a buddy at Indy Arms.

I wouldn't work there. I don't need a low paying job, even for free range time and discounted firearms. As Dean said previously upthread, they can't afford me... ;)

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I sincerely doubt they pay anywhere near enough to make it worthwhile in the kind of cities they operate in.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Straw that broke the camels back was having to load mags in the stall.
    I have shot at 5 different Range USA locations in the last 3 years and have never seen this. I believe it's the Blue Ash, OH location that has maglula mag loaders at the tables along the wall to use.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have shot at 5 different Range USA locations in the last 3 years and have never seen this. I believe it's the Blue Ash, OH location that has maglula mag loaders at the tables along the wall to use.

Nice. They didn't have them there when I went a few years ago, but that's pretty cool. I've only been to 3 locations, Greenwood, Carmel and Blue Ash. Greenwood was where I went most often and they were the ones with that rule. Instead of making dumba$$ rules that drive off the customers who know what they're doing, maybe the range officers should just watch people closer and toss the ones that are acting in an unsafe manner? Doesn't seem like rocket science.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have been a member for years and have had no issues. All the people I have seen asked to leave deserved it because they were doing stupid stuff. That's why there are bullet holes in the stall dividers, the ceiling right above the stall, all down the walls, target tracks shot to $#!t and the like.
    When I first started going there you unloaded all your crap at the tables and then took your stuff up to the stall. Then stupid people screwed that up for everyone and now we have to everything in the stall.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I have been a member for years and have had no issues. All the people I have seen asked to leave deserved it because they were doing stupid stuff. That's why there are bullet holes in the stall dividers, the ceiling right above the stall, all down the walls, target tracks shot to $#!t and the like.
    When I first started going there you unloaded all your crap at the tables and then took your stuff up to the stall. Then stupid people screwed that up for everyone and now we have to everything in the stall.
    Yeah it’s amazing to go into a range (including the one I worked at) and see holes and damage everywhere. Ones that amazed me the most were in the wall to left or right of end lanes just a couple of feet down range. The target is straight ahead for God’s sake !

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yeah it’s amazing to go into a range (including the one I worked at) and see holes and damage everywhere. Ones that amazed me the most were in the wall to left or right of end lanes just a couple of feet down range. The target is straight ahead for God’s sake !

A lot of that is trigger discipline. They have their finger on the trigger while manipulating the firearm and discharge "accidentally". If you keep your finger off the trigger until it's on the target, it's hard to hit anything else.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Nice. They didn't have them there when I went a few years ago, but that's pretty cool. I've only been to 3 locations, Greenwood, Carmel and Blue Ash. Greenwood was where I went most often and they were the ones with that rule. Instead of making dumba$$ rules that drive off the customers who know what they're doing, maybe the range officers should just watch people closer and toss the ones that are acting in an unsafe manner? Doesn't seem like rocket science.
    Because if there isn't a posted rule about it, those people will try the stupid and leave holes where not desired before the RO can grab them. Along with that, without a posted rule, those people will argue till they're blue in the face they can do it and you're infringing their rights.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Better that crap happen in a room designed for it, I guess.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have to say, I don’t miss the people who would bring in their hunting rifle or slug gun the day before deer season to “sight it in”. I saw so many junk scopes and mounts! I’ve actually seen customers pull the trigger on their rifle, and the scope fall off!

The one that makes me laugh the most, though, is the member of a couple of years that came in to cancel his membership because we had to ban shotguns on the range. Keep in mind, this guy had NEVER brought anything into the range other than a 22 rifle and his edc, but he just hated the fact that we would deprive others of the use of shotguns on our range. I explained to him that we had no choice, because the wadding from the shotguns were clogging our bullet trap and creating maintenance and safety issues, but he would have none of it. When he was pulling out of our parking lot, he even threw his hat out of his car window!

A couple of months later, he applied for a range officer job with us! :):

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Because if there isn't a posted rule about it, those people will try the stupid and leave holes where not desired before the RO can grab them. Along with that, without a posted rule, those people will argue till they're blue in the face they can do it and you're infringing their rights.

Yeah, I get that, but I still don't understand how loading mags in the lane prevents guns at the back bench. You post signs saying no guns at the back bench (which they had posted for years) and if someone violates that you toss them. I pay for range time to shoot, not sit in the stall and load mags. As I said, kind of a moot point for me as I shoot elsewhere now.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Yeah, I get that, but I still don't understand how loading mags in the lane prevents guns at the back bench. You post signs saying no guns at the back bench (which they had posted for years) and if someone violates that you toss them. I pay for range time to shoot, not sit in the stall and load mags. As I said, kind of a moot point for me as I shoot elsewhere now.
    I dunno about that one. probably too many people don't want to leave their shooters at the lane while they go back to the table to load and turn around with them in hand??? I just say there's a reason (usually a stupid person) behind every rule, not that I understand or agree with the logical connection LOL

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Easiest way to avoid guns on the tables is to ban handling ANYTHING on the tables, that is the mentality. Having a RSO in each room (I'm speaking of Greenwood) would solve the issue because one RSO can't possibly oversee what is happening at both ends when the range is busy. Even though the pay is paltry they refuse to send a second RSO in unless the primary requests one and if the showroom is busy they will not pull sales people off the floor. I've been in the store with 15 or more lanes occupied, half dozen customers in the showroom, a dozen sales people and 1 RSO scrambling to keep up.
    Sales always takes priority over safety and that is not the fault of the manager but comes straight from the top. Everything is micromanaged from Ohio and that hasn't changed since they opened.
    I can avoid the weekend clown town and usually do because the weekday RSO runs a tight ship but most want/need to go in the evenings or weekends and you are just stuck with what it is.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Easiest way to avoid guns on the tables is to ban handling ANYTHING on the tables, that is the mentality. Having a RSO in each room (I'm speaking of Greenwood) would solve the issue because one RSO can't possibly oversee what is happening at both ends when the range is busy. Even though the pay is paltry they refuse to send a second RSO in unless the primary requests one and if the showroom is busy they will not pull sales people off the floor. I've been in the store with 15 or more lanes occupied, half dozen customers in the showroom, a dozen sales people and 1 RSO scrambling to keep up.
    Sales always takes priority over safety and that is not the fault of the manager but comes straight from the top. Everything is micromanaged from Ohio and that hasn't changed since they opened.
    I can avoid the weekend clown town and usually do because the weekday RSO runs a tight ship but most want/need to go in the evenings or weekends and you are just stuck with what it is.

Sad to hear that, but it strengthens my decision to shoot elsewhere. The other good reason is that they stopped the early Saturday morning hours during COVID and never brought them back. We would get there at 8 or 9 and be gone before it got busy with the crowds of scary people. Now I meet a buddy at Indy Arms on Friday when they open at 10. There are very few people in shooting at that time and they only charge $10 for an hour on Friday mornings. Do that a couple times a month. Facility maybe isn't as nice as RangeUSA, but it's plenty good for my needs.

Top Bottom