• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I work in what could be called a shady area of town and I work 3rd shifts. Probably about twice a month a car gets broken into, which doesnt affect me much cause I drive nothing worth more than 1k and I just dont leave nice things in my trucks. A few nights ago was the last straw in my mind. There was some drugged up guy waiting outside of the only entrance we are aloud to use. He opened a dock door enough to start yelling at people, so some time went on and he was threatening coworkers coming in to and leaving work. He was standing and shouting aggressively with one hand in his pocket as to be holding something (possibly a firearm). He was trying to get into the building as well. Management just shrugged it off, And the plant superintendent didnt care as they get to use there own private entrance on the opposite side of the building. I wana take the complaint to a higher power in corporate and do so with anonymity as the supervisors tend to retaliate on the employee who would do such a thing. We have no security. We are not aloud to have a firearm in the workplace. none of us feel safe and nothing is being done about this, not even the union cares. What are my options, I cant just get another job especially one that pays well. A few of us have just thought maybe we could deep conceal like a derringer type pistol but as well we could lose our jobs. I wouldnt even mind becoming the plants security guard if they were to create such a position.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    This doesn't address your desire for self protection while on the job, but in this specific situation, did any one ever think of calling the police? Sounds like the guy was out there for a while. Police may or may not have arrested the guy, depending on how he acted when they got there. But at least they would make him move along.

Might make some sort of official recommendation / complaint thru the union chain of representation.

Your kinda between a rock and a hard place.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    POCKET PISTOL! no one will ever know you have it on you. An if something makes you uncomfortable an management wont do anything by all means Call the Police!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    These days, anything that costs, costs too much. It's a shame you don't have any support. I'd CC, and if anything happened, take the consequences, but at least I'd be safe. Better that than worry every minute. Has anyone ever been in contact with you such that they'd know what you had? Of course not. I've been CC in my brother's obamunist house, much hugging etc. CC is less of a worry than some psycho in the parking lot. Protect yourself, whether anyone else will or not. You'll feel better.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I cant call them I was running my machine thats what I told them to do it and they just said "oh that guy will just leave eventually". Well what if the next guy doesnt and still nobody calls the police. What happens to you the supervisor when somebody not the BG gets hurt or killed because of negligence.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    These days, anything that costs, costs too much. It's a shame you don't have any support. I'd CC, and if anything happened, take the consequences, but at least I'd be safe. Better that than worry every minute. Has anyone ever been in contact with you such that they'd know what you had? Of course not. I've been CC in my brother's obamunist house, much hugging etc. CC is less of a worry than some psycho in the parking lot. Protect yourself, whether anyone else will or not. You'll feel better.

I know I will

and now to find a little gun to add to the collection

My safety is more important than their rules

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    Here's the thing, you work in a Union shop. You have the right to feel secure in your Union shop. You need to get ahold of your committee person and handle this with an official grievance. Then, if that doesn't work, since they don't x-ray your food bucket when you come to work, or pat you down, start carrying pepper spray. Get the stuff with the lowest percentage, it means it's been diluted the least from the original capsaicin. 1%, .5% somewhere in there. Gun stores usually carry stuff that's 10% or more, so don't get fooled. Get some of the Volcano Spray or whatever it is that Cold Steel puts out and get the small fire extinguisher can full of it. Disguise it as a small personal fire extinguisher and then you're covered out to 50 feet. It's potent stuff. We have some Level III stuff in the D.O.C. that burns for several hours even after you wash it off. Hope that idea helps.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    You're lucky you can legally have it in the parking lot with the new Laws on the books. Utility Employees and Power Employees and D.O.C. can't even have them in their cars. That's even with the passage of the laws.

todkapuz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Carmel, IN
    Sorry to hear of your issues. As someone who works on the "management" side of the fence (obviously not your company, but just my role), I feel your pain too. We too, unfortunately, have a "no weapons" rule that was outlined by our corporate office in California (no comment). I could go into reasons why, especially larger corporations, enact such rules, but its rather pointless. I periodically try to get it changed to the more non-policy "no illegal weapons", but always a hard fight. But that being said, we locally don't enforce it on legal possession, but we don't openly tell our employees as a whole that (because, sadly, people are panic prone). Not sure how your relationship is with your environmental health and safety department, but might casually ask them about such things. It saddens me to see any company that does not take worker's safety seriously... which includes anytime they are on the property.

But regardless, you need to do what is right for you. Naturally I would suggest the police route as opposed to breaking company rules. Don't know how big your company is, but larger ones tend to have ways for employees to report such safety concerns, if supervisors are not stepping up to their responsibilities. If nothing else, I'd continue to go up the chain or go to HR (don't mention you want to carry yourself, just say you felt threatened and what happened... it might get some results depending on company.)

But of course, in the end, if you do feel threatened, do what you must do. Stopping an immediate threat and getting fired for breaking rules is far better than not, and losing your life for your company, no matter how good the company is (which is in doubt if your company doesnt value your work for them enough to ensure your protection). Sadly with the economy the way it is, I'd normally say, look for a place that values you more... but its kinda hard right now.

edit: or apparently your union. (I keep forgetting I now live in a union friendly state, just saw some references to that in previous posts)

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    No need for a small gun

Smartcarry holsters

I have one that I CC a sw5906 in and did so in my Obama loving sisters today and no one had any idea
    Do not get "thunderwear". It is lesser quality trust me ...I'm a doctor ;-)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    More likely to get caught with weapon than need one. Be careful.
    How about a long shanked screwdriver. It's a tool, they can't have a problem with that.
    Keep going up the chain of command.
    Calling the police may also force the companies hand.

standanjohn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Get a deep cover holster. When I bought it, it was called "thunderwear." It's not completely uncomfortable, but it's not too bad. I have carried a full-sized 9mm pretty comfortably that way. In your case, it certainly beats the alternative.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Option A: don't ask, don't tell and carry anyway.

Option B: file the complaint with your superiors.

You say you are in a union shop? They should protect you from retaliation right?

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i would recommend the pepper spray route as its a lot more "accepted" than an actual firearm. there are a few managers where i work that cc, but i do not at work. i do however ALWAYS have it outside in my vehicle (our lot is fenced in, and people are not generally milling around back there that i do not know). i think the pepper spray will get you in a lot less hot water if found than the firearm. just my .02

Top Bottom