• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    You have two options. As opposed to getting a butt pad get a muzzle break or comp and reduce your felt recoil by around 40%. Or, Get rid of your ras47 and get an AK that is not a ras47. And yes, I am some what of an AK snob but even PSA is selling AK's now that are far and away much better. You could probably sell it for a decent price unless you paid a panic price for it already.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    You have two options. As opposed to getting a butt pad get a muzzle break or comp and reduce your felt recoil by around 40%. Or, Get rid of your ras47 and get an AK that is not a ras47. And yes, I am some what of an AK snob but even PSA is selling AK's now that are far and away much better. You could probably sell it for a decent price unless you paid a panic price for it already.

3f2.jpeg

I've never found AK recoil to be harsh ... do you want a pad to tame recoil or to extend the stock length? If the latter, try a NATO-length stock vs. a Warsaw stock. Also, have you Googled "rubber screw on AK recoil pad"? There are a bunch of options out there - just pick your preferred retailer.

I wouldn't ever recommend a RAS-47 but since you already own one, does it have that crappy "balsa" wood that ships with current Century AKs? If you're having a hard time finding a pad that lines up with your stock screw holes, I'd suggest replacing the wood with a cheap surplus furniture set - that might make finding a compatible recoil pad a bit easier.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Agreed.

I’ve been into AKs for a long time, building kits when you could find saw cut receivers and original barrels. I got bit by the RAS myself, it’s not a safe weapon IMHO.
    The RAS was discontinued for a reason... that being said, not a lot of screw on AK butt-pads, they’re generally not harsh shooters, I’ve never had a complaint shooting a 7.62 AK

mando-gunner-89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Terre Haute
    It's not necessarily the kick of the round as I have an sks and a 91/30 both with steel butt plates and I have no issues with recoil with them. It's the width of the stock that kind of iritates my shoulder, it just seems super thin IMO. And all the screw on type pads that I am seeing say they don't work with the ras47. Thanks for the input even though you are telling me to get rid if the gun, not all of us can afford a 1000 dollar arsenal. I saw a deal on an ak and I took it.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    It's not necessarily the kick of the round as I have an sks and a 91/30 both with steel butt plates and I have no issues with recoil with them. It's the width of the stock that kind of iritates my shoulder, it just seems super thin IMO. And all the screw on type pads that I am seeing say they don't work with the ras47. Thanks for the input even though you are telling me to get rid if the gun, not all of us can afford a 1000 dollar arsenal. I saw a deal on an ak and I took it.

If it's more width you're after, you can try a folding Magpul Zhukov-S stock, or another aftermarket AK stock or M4-style stock and adapter. I have the Zhukov stock on two of my guns - it has a rubberized plate and feels a bit chunkier in my shoulder. It is well-built and durable IMO, as long as you don't shoot in liquid nitrogen and then try to mortar your gun.

Also, just a friendly reminder that the WASR-10 is cheaper than a grand, especially in the secondary market. There was even a time that Century's dubious in-house built RAS, C39, and VSKA models were more expensive than new factory imported WASRs. I'd also recommend a current-production WASR over an Arsenal 100% of the time to someone trying to choose between the two.

mando-gunner-89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Ok thanks for the input, I want to keep this with all the wood furniture to make it look like an original. I have all my AR's for the tacti-cool addons, I want to keep this with the irons and wood furniture. I may buy a muzzle device but I haven't decided yet.

Top Bottom