• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Well with 60 burglaries in counties surrounding mine the trail cameras are going up and the alarm will be set every time I leave the house. My home fits the target description to a T...

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Well with 60 burglaries in counties surrounding mine the trail cameras are going up and the alarm will be set every time I leave the house. My home fits the target description to a T...
    I hope it never happens to you or anyone one. My comment is partly tongue in cheek and also to note that there is no "safe" place.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    well...if they aren't armed this works well too....
    nutkick_zps936cb4a3.gif

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Thanks for posting, we will definitely be on the lookout.
    Probably not a bad time to go over emergency procedures with the family as well as overall security around the house. Which reminds me I have a driveway alarm that I need to install.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Friend had several guns and lots of jewelry stolen out of his rural house on the Howard/Miami county line. Estimates it was group of thieves and they were fast. House sits right next to the road with other houses about a 1/4 mile apart. Happened in the middle of the day when he and the wife were at work. Sledgehammer to the front door, grabbed what they wanted, and out the door before anyone saw them. He was thinking about getting an alarm system, when they came back three weeks later, and robbed the house again. House sits one mile from IN-18.

I live in town, have cameras, and a very active group of neighbors who watch out for each other. We all work different shifts and are usually outside during daylight. I also put up motion sensor lights around the house. If we are not home and the lights turn on, one of my neighbors will walk over and check it out.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Thanks for the heads up!

I would like to know how they are targeting only households that have guns. Did they drive around on a nice day watching for those who were shooting? Did they get access to carry license info somehow? Did they look in mailboxes for gun magazines or NRA material? Did they get info from a website that these gun owners all used? Was one of the criminals a previous FedEx or UPS delivery person who paid attention to who received firearm related shipments?

It would be quite interesting to find the common denominator that is informing these criminals on who the gun owners are.

It is also a great reminder to stay situationally aware, to keep your homestead secure as it can be (many methods to do this), and to have a good insurance policy for those firearms and related items.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks for the heads up!

I would like to know how they are targeting only households that have guns. Did they drive around on a nice day watching for those who were shooting? Did they get access to carry license info somehow? Did they look in mailboxes for gun magazines or NRA material? Did they get info from a website that these gun owners all used? Was one of the criminals a previous FedEx or UPS delivery person who paid attention to who received firearm related shipments?

It would be quite interesting to find the common denominator that is informing these criminals on who the gun owners are.

It is also a great reminder to stay situationally aware, to keep your homestead secure as it can be (many methods to do this), and to have a good insurance policy for those firearms and related items.
    I would guess that they probably are just profiling. Most folks who live in rural areas probably own at least one gun.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    That reminds me... I need to sweep off the .22 casings from the front porch.

Using a sledge hammer makes entry a lot easier. I was going to harden my doors a little more, but I am ate up with windows and a patio door in back. Easy targets in my opinion.

It is very simple to gain entry by by-passing a standard lockset. I have been using the deadbolt when we are gone as well now, because of these break ins. If they are hitting with a hammer though, I see a quick entry on the way.

We do have extra vehicles, so if someone was casing us they wouldn't know if the place was empty or not.

I never got a rider on my insurance policy because they wanted all of the info for the firearms. Not comfortable getting a list like that out there.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    In a couple days my kid will be back from school... and I feel pretty certain that she will just lounge at the house all day. Hopefully boy band music scares off the thugs.

I work odd hours and am home a lot at times. My house also fits the profile houses to a tee.

I really need to get some camera action going... just so many options.

Top Bottom