• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    We have had several RC threads but I'm posting this one for selfish reasons. I need help. I created INGO so I must be smart but I'm a moron when it comes RC and I have dropped quite a bit of money into it over the years. I currently have a street car HPI Sprint 2, Old Traxxas Rustler and a 4x4 Stampede. All of them have issues and my main issues right now are the street car doesn't run and needs work and I've got 2 3s Lipo batteries that charge up fine but when I put them in the stampede they go full power for about 10 seconds then the ESC starts flashing red and it will run for ever but it's slow. Are these batteries probably bad?

I also have a charger that I would probably have a better chance sending a man into space then understanding wtf is going on. Do we have any RC experts on the N. Side of Indy who would help me on these things. I'm looking for some advice in this thread and if anyone fixes these things on the North Side. I'm willing to pay for help but prefer not to get raped at Hobby Lobby.

INDY-1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    Avon
    Well being a RC guy also Ill try to assist. Lipos are great batteries. Though they need MX upkeep. They cant sit dead or sit for a year without getting a quick charge. I assume that your charger has a storage charge option? They could of taken a dump if they have sat for months dead. Most ESCs will either work or not. I had a LOSI that kinda did the same, it was a non brushed motor and ESC and the esc would get hot and kinda go "limp mode" with a red light also. Im by Clermont

JohnE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For the Stampede check and make sure the esc is set for LiPo's instead of nicads. If it's not set right it will give a red flashing light. The instructions have how to set it for either type. Might check the Rustler also to make sure. Not sure about the HPI one since I haven't had one but it might also be the same issue.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I agree with the others about checking the esc settings and if your lipos have been sitting dead it will kill the storage cells. I know this from experience. Also are you sure your cars can handle the 3 cell lipos. I thought factory traxxas only could take 2 cell.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Another nitro guy here, I'm not very patient and I can fill a fuel tank faster than batteries can charge. My only advice would be to sell them and buy one that is nitro powered.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Raced for years. LiPo's will store well on charge, NiCd will not. But as mentioned above a 3S lipo will be putting out more volts than a standard NiCd pack that your ESC was designed and setup for. Not sure if that ESC was capable of handling LiPo or not but the voltage I am sure was or is the issue

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I have a 2 cell Lipo and it was running slow today as well. I guess I'll try figuring out the settings for the ESC and report back. Can anyone confirm 3 cell lipos are a no go for stock traxxas

I agree with the others about checking the esc settings and if your lipos have been sitting dead it will kill the storage cells. I know this from experience. Also are you sure your cars can handle the 3 cell lipos. I thought factory traxxas only could take 2 cell.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I've got the XL3 in the Stampede

Looking around on Traxxas web site. 3s lipos will work with the xl3 esc. You can only use 2s lipo's with the xl5. look and see which one you have. If it's the xl5 then you may have burnt it up.

JohnE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Make sure that it is set for lipo's. If everything is set right it may be a overtemp issue. My son was running his Traxxas Rally with 3s lipos. The motor got hotter than usual and the esc was shutting down after about 10 minutes or so due to overheating. If you have a 2s lipo try it and see if it does the same thing. Look in the manual and there should be a sidebar showing the gearing https://traxxas.com/sites/default/files/67086-1-OM-EN-R00.pdf page 25 right side shows gearing and battery size for the gears used. Talking with my son, his same issue is the battery was getting hot. This may be your issue.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    It is set or lipos. Can't be overheating as this happens when it's cold. Guy at Hobby Town said maybe the ESC is jacked. It will run fine on a 2S and doesn't flash red.

Top Bottom