• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • docbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    So, I'm asking for a reloading setup for Christmas, and I've got literally no experience in reloading, so I figured a big box kit would be the best way to get my foot in the door (and the easiest to point to my wife and say THIS ONE instead of having her look for 20 subcomponents on their own). In my gift's price range I've found two kits at Midway that look promising.

Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit

Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit

The hornady kit comes with 500 free bullets, which in my mind makes it seem like a much better deal, but is there things that the RCBS comes with that my novice eyes are overlooking?

Thanks guys.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Both are very solid designs. To make a recommendation, I'd need to know what calibers you plan to reload and in what quantity. There are other options out there that for some intents and purposes are superior and will cost you less upfront.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I started out my reloading life with a Rock Chucker kit. I'm very glad that I learned how to do every step in the slow methodical way a single stage works. However, I'm also glad that I sold it years later and bought a Dillon 550B because these days I'm married and have kids and don't have the time like I used to.

I don't know what your life situation (freetime) is or how much ammo you intend to load and shoot, but I'd highly suggest types every press you'd consider in a google video search and see for yourself how much faster or better one press will work than another. I know 500 bullets sounds like a lot, but once you get going into reloading you'll quickly realize that it's not and while it's a nice incentive, don't let it be your final deciding factor.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I started out my reloading life with a Rock Chucker kit. I'm very glad that I learned how to do every step in the slow methodical way a single stage works. However, I'm also glad that I sold it years later and bought a Dillon 550B because these days I'm married and have kids and don't have the time like I used to.

I don't know what your life situation (freetime) is or how much ammo you intend to load and shoot, but I'd highly suggest types every press you'd consider in a google video search and see for yourself how much faster or better one press will work than another. I know 500 bullets sounds like a lot, but once you get going into reloading you'll quickly realize that it's not and while it's a nice incentive, don't let it be your final deciding factor.

Thanks for the post and the response, I was thinking about both of those kits too as I want to get into reloading myself. Thanks again.

docbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Someone told me that the single stage was better for more precise loads, that the progressive is good for mass producing plinking ammunition, but for more control over each round you'd want to use a single stage.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Add another who is looking into reloading.

I'm primarily wanting to reload .45acp and .308, and all of the various choices out there are enough to get your head swimming at times!

A one-stop kit that covers all the basics seems to me like an ideal way to get your feet wet without becoming overwhelmed.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I started out with RCBS and still use my RockChucker. My buddy started out and still uses the Hornady kit. Both make great ammo so it's tough to make a suggestion in one direction. I went with RCBS because they've been in the biz dang near forever and they support their presses for life. I've called them for help and parts on my Ammo Master and they helped me troubleshoot the issue and sent me the parts for free.

I will say I'm not as impressed with the titanium rings on the Hornady pistol sizing dies.. My RCBS carbide dies provide more surface area and are through hardened carbide. My Hornady dies look like it's a titanium coating... kind of like what you see on drill bits (not confirmed, just a guess).

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    if money is no object then there are lots of things to recomend. out of the two i feel that i would go with the rock chucker because that is what i decided to get and i am happy with mine as well as many others are. hornady will not be a bad choice either. i however did not buy a kit just the press and spent the extra money for the kit plus some on a different scale, powder measurer, dies, calipers, loading trays etc....

i think you will find that the kit will get you the basics and started but you will replace some if not most of the extras with the press in the near future. maybe you will be fine but i just can't imagine using all of those items in the kit to reload the volume i am looking to do. you did not state how much you will reload a year month or week.

i purchased a rock chucker press, mtm reloading trays, a chargemaster 1500 powder throw and scale (more then the whole kit your looking at but so nice), hornady one shot (no lube pad needed), frankford calipers, lee dies have worked out great and cheap, mtm powder funnel set. i bought and would recomend a case gauge for each caliber as well.

i also have a progressive press (dillon 650) now as i am loading for bulk plinking loads like 45acp, 223, 9mm, 45 colt, etc... and use the rock chucker for 300 win mag, 243, 308, ect.... i also use a hornady prep center for trimming cases and chamfer, debbur, mil crimps, ect....

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I recommend the Lee Classic Turret press, but if the kit at Kempf's is not exactly what you want you can always put together a "wish list" and e-mail it to your wife. FWIW Natchez Shooters Supplies beats Midway's prices most of the time.

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

(select .308 Win dies from the drop down list)

Get the "Rifle" kit with .308 Win dies, and upgrade to the "Pro" Auto Disk.

Then add .45 ACP dies.

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

(select the dies from the drop down list)

Then add a 6" calipers, a powder measure/dispenser, and a scale.

Other tools you might like... a manual (Lyman's 49th), kinetic bullet puller, Lee case trimmer and lock stud, plus the .308 case length gauge.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Someone told me that the single stage was better for more precise loads, that the progressive is good for mass producing plinking ammunition, but for more control over each round you'd want to use a single stage.

I've heard people say that also, and maybe there were some bad progressive presses out a a long time ago, but I reload using my dillon 550B exclusively and I load my rifle for long range accuracy. I load my 30-06 ammo that shoots just shy of 1/2" at 100 yards on my dillon 550B. I could say the same thing for my 223 and a couple of 308's that I've had in the past. You can take my word for it that you can reload some very accurate ammunition on a progressive press.

You really need to watch some videos before making any purchases. Before I bought my first press I bought an old VHS tape on how to reload using the RCBS rock chucker. It showed me everything I needed to know to help me get started and it took the place of a knowledgable teacher, which I didn't have. When I wanted to upgrade to the Dillon years later I bought their VHS and watched it. To this day I'll try to find something in my house that'll even play a VHS and then watch it again as a reference. Those videos are worth their weight in gold. Had there been a google video around when I started reloading then I probably would have watched it there for free.

Watch the videos.

forthehousew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    indy

I started out with a Lyman hand tool. often called the nutcracker. Good for strengthening the hands and learned each step. I recently purchased a Dillion 550B and have yet to use it, seems too complicated, I even got all the extra tool heads and dies for 9mm, 357, 45, 44, 223 video etc. But it has a lot of moving parts. I would start with a kit but load one stage at a time at first. Anyone know of a gunshop that had presses set-up to demo the process. To me hands on is better than the video.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    I started out with a Lyman hand tool. often called the nutcracker. Good for strengthening the hands and learned each step. I recently purchased a Dillion 550B and have yet to use it, seems too complicated, I even got all the extra tool heads and dies for 9mm, 357, 45, 44, 223 video etc. But it has a lot of moving parts. I would start with a kit but load one stage at a time at first. Anyone know of a gunshop that had presses set-up to demo the process. To me hands on is better than the video.

For great hands-on experience, check out Aszerigan...Profire Arms. He's a Site advertiser here on INGO. He offers classes and they are fantastic. During the classes you get the basics so you understand what you're doing and why.. and you also get the hands-on practice. Gotta love a class where you bring home ammo that you've made yourself.

docbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Just looked up the Dillon 550B - I really wish my wife didn't set my Christmas present limit at ~$250. Especially when I'm going end up spending probably twice as much as something stupid with no utility like a purse. :spend::(

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Started out with the Rock Chucker kit. Got two presses now and a 550. The more my brothers and I got into it the more we spent. Now it is not so much how much but the quality of the stuff we get.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I started out in 1979, with a Rock Chucker Press, and still USE it today....
    back then they didn't offer "kits"... I was on my own, except for my experience with a $ 9.95 Lee .410 loader... I BOUGHT A SPEER #10, AND read ..... AND MADE A lot OF misteaks... BUT never BLEW UP, OR DAMAGED A GUN.... OR MYSELF ( thank god )... get WHAT you WANT AND GO SLOW, AND you have HUNDREDS of advice givers, and YEARS of experience, right here.... USE US !!!!!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Beyond one of those kits, what else would I need to get started loading .308 and 5.56?

bare minimum

reloading manual
    press
    dies (Lee dies come with shell holder, otherwise you need that too)
    sizing lube (I like Lee case lube and Imperial sizing wax)
    case trimming tool (Lee trimmer by far the cheapest)
    chamfering tool (Lee is cheap but works... on most things)
    calipers (6" at Harbor Freight <$20)
    powder measure
    powder scale
    priming tool (some Lee presses come with and you prime on the press)
    shell holders for priming tool (tools differ)

powder (good powder for both 308 and 5.56 is H4895)
    primers
    bullets

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I started out in 1979, with a Rock Chucker Press, and still USE it today....
    back then they didn't offer "kits"... I was on my own, except for my experience with a $ 9.95 Lee .410 loader... I BOUGHT A SPEER #10, AND read ..... AND MADE A lot OF misteaks... BUT never BLEW UP, OR DAMAGED A GUN.... OR MYSELF ( thank god )... get WHAT you WANT AND GO SLOW, AND you have HUNDREDS of advice givers, and YEARS of experience, right here.... USE US !!!!!

^^^Same here, only in '72'. I still have that old Speer #10 Manual on my bench(at the back!!HA HA).
    Have you noticed how the loads have changed??+ NO: TiteGroup, HP-38,Varget...Bill.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    I hated my RockChucker so much, I bought a Bonanza Co-Ax.
    If I had the decision, I would go for the Hornady. It won't spit spent primers all over the bench and floor. It comes with the bushing system already installed.
    Either that, or I would buy a Lee Classic Turret.

Top Bottom