• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    It seems to me that when people are considering prepping for surviving a disaster, they are viewing it as if they are the only ones in the equation or at the very least underappreciating the numbers competing for resources.

There is considerable discussion on the value and emphasis placed on bush craft. I cannot help but wonder if that emphasis should not be placed on "urban craft" if indeed there is such a thing.

For this discussion, let us consider a natural disaster (such as Yellowstone blowing its top, the New Madrid fault producing a 9 pointer, etc.) that has stopped the delivery of utilities and interupted the flow of goods to retail outlets. We are talking no electricity, water, groceries, gas and employment. In the case of Katrina, the water was even tainted by waste and petroleum and rendered unpalatable.

I would assume that in a short time frame, gathered stores of food and water may be adequate. Unless one has a pond or well from which to dip, water would quickly become a huge issue.

In a lengthy time frame or short time frame for the unprepared, people would be searching for and attempting to take what they need to survive. In this scenario it would not take too long to strip the forests of any wildlife by those who had the means to leave the cities to get away from the roving gangs.

For those that are thinking that they will be able to hold out in their dwellings and/or plant gardens seems like a tall order. It does not seem that historically forts or cities under seige have fared that well.

If one has to go mobile, storing huge amounts of ammo becomes useless because you can only physically carry so much.

In a seige scenario, which in essence is exactly what this would become whether on the level of a dwelling, a city block(s) or city, it seems that "urban craft" would be much more useful than bush craft. I would agree that one could use many aspects of bush craft such as starting fires and keeping warm and possibly a survivalists mentality, I think it would be lacking in skills that would be most needed in an urban setting...

What say ye?

Mosin Mounts

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Southwest of Indianapolis
    I agree that most will underestimate how bad it could get and how quickly.

How you prep depends on where you prep. I live in a rural area. Most of us out here are somewhat preppers by nature. The nearest grocery or department store of any account is 30-45 minutes from here. We go to the store weekly for milk, bread, and anything we're out of, but most of our groceries are purchased monthly or bi-monthly in bulk due to the inconvenience of a local commerce. That's why most people in rural areas don't panic when the power goes out during an ice storm, don't rush to the store before a snow storm, and will probably survive a major ***** storm. There are only a handful of homes for every square mile, everyone knows all the neighbors, we're all farmers or farm families and we have all sorts of resources at our disposal (and I'm not talking about natural resources, but we do have those also).

I don't watch the prepper shows, but I can assume any well-designed bush craft could suffice as an urban vehicle if needed. If you're a city prepper, imagine all the roads being blocked by gridlocked traffic. You'll have to go off road almost immediately upon mass panic. You'll need something that can cross ditches, scale curbs, push over a privacy fence. Most off-road bush vehicles I have in mind could do all this and more.

Because most of the inner-city dwellers (Urbanites) don't have the ability or desire to properly prep, they will likely do what they know best upon a disaster: beg, borrow, and steal from each-other. Those that don't eventually become happy FEMA campers will turn to the suburb dwellers (Suburbanites) to steal what they can there. These Urbanites are the most likely to need some form of urban-craft. Once the Urbanites invade the Suburbanites (where most mainstream preppers will be) there will likely be a wave of Suburbanites headed for the rural areas. These Suburbanites will likely need bush-craft for this journey.

As for us rural dwellers, we'll just be here waiting.

Top Bottom