• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    A bunch of my friends witness the shooting in Jennings county last weekend, they are really upset about it and with good reason. I'm glad they are safe, but a woman was still killed and another injured. I didn't know them personally, but I still feel for the family.

It worries me to think I could have easily been there and having to face a gun fight for the first time. This really hits home for me.
    It makes me feel that I'm under gunned and not as well prepared as I would like to be. I practice and I practice a lot. In practice I can fast draw and hit my target within a short amount of time. But I can't help but wonder would that be fast enough? I know I'm handicapped by carrying in my front pocket.

So for the first time in over 10 years, I want to change my main EDC, 10 shot 45acp Glock 30, to a 21 shot .40 Glock 22 on the hip. I plan to practice even more. I'm also gaining night sites with the G22.

In the 21 years that I'm carry, I'm grateful that I've never had to use my gun. But I've had some close calls that could of easily changed that.

The Republic - Seymour man held in Jennings County Jail on murder, attempted murder charges - Columbus, Indiana

Last edited:

Trading_Fool

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't think that there is anyway to defend against a domestic shooting like this, no matter how prepared you are. In a random situation, you have the element of suprise/unknown. In a domestic situation where someone is prepared to die to kill someone, you are always at a disadvantage. From what I read, there was no advance notice and I don't know how you would defend against that no matter what you were carrying.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    The glock 22 is 15+1. But I carried my glock 27(9+1) for about a year before coming back to my glock 22 for no particular reason, I never really felt under gunned with the 27. If you are worried about having more rounds why not just carry an extra magazine?

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    It doesn't seem like you can do much about domestic violence, unless it's your own household. In that case, you have a sense what's coming. People don't just suddenly go mad and kill their family. That guy probably has a history of beating his family members.

I'm more worried about situations like the Colorado shooting. You'd need a rifle for that. In that case, we are totally outgunned.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I don't think that there is anyway to defend against a domestic shooting like this, no matter how prepared you are. In a random situation, you have the element of suprise/unknown. In a domestic situation where someone is prepared to die to kill someone, you are always at a disadvantage. From what I read, there was no advance notice and I don't know how you would defend against that no matter what you were carrying.

The victim and my friends were in a car together and when they pulled up and seen the exhusband's car in the drive, the victim told one of my friends to call 911 that something bad was getting ready to happen. I really don't think she knew has bad it was about to get, but I think her fear that her daughter was inside at the time played against her better judgement.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    The glock 22 is 15+1. But I carried my glock 27(9+1) for about a year before coming back to my glock 22 for no particular reason, I never really felt under gunned with the 27. If you are worried about having more rounds why not just carry an extra magazine?

I have a 5 pack making them 20 + 1. In the past when I felt like I needed a little more, I would carry a Glock 21 on the hip and my Glock 30 as back-up with an extra magazine that fit both.

With my new set up, I do plan on carrying a G27 was back up.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    You can be "under gunned" with anything you carry. A bigger or higher capacity gun isn't a sure way to win a gunfight or come out on top of whatever situation you may be faced with. The best thing to do is train with what you are going to carry every day, and try to maintain a level of situational awareness that will hopefully/possibly keep you from being taken by surprise.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    You can be "under gunned" with anything you carry. A bigger or higher capacity gun isn't a sure way to win a gunfight or come out on top of whatever situation you may be faced with. The best thing to do is train with what you are going to carry every day, and try to maintain a level of situational awareness that will hopefully/possibly keep you from being taken by surprise.

This is very true, but.............a good driver in a funny car is going to be a great driver in a go cart in the quarter mile 99.99 percent of the time.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It makes me feel that I'm under gunned

As you've already realized, this is an equipment issue that can be remedied by a larger pistol with a higher capacity. Or a trunk rifle. :D

and not as well prepared as I would like to be.

This one is the tougher issue, because it means investing in yourself in the areas of skills building and stress testing. But you've identified a deficiency so it sounds like you're headed in the right direction. :yesway:

You might look into scenario-based force-on-force training.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_dynamic_fof_scenarios_feb_18_19_2012_a.html

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    This is very true, but.............a good driver in a funny car is going to be a great driver in a go cart in the quarter mile 99.99 percent of the time.

But the driver who jumps into a funny car and tries to race it without any training and not paying attention to the situation at hand has a much higher chance of losing.

Whatever EDC setup you decide to use, just remember that it isn't going to be the end all, beat all for every situation you may encounter.

Deucemizer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I think it was Theodore Roosevelt said "Heed the man that has but one rifle, he likely knows how to use it."... You can carry all the guns in the world, it doesn't mean squat if you're not proficient. Got to be good with what you've got.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you had been in the car with them would your spidy sense have gone off. Would you have been ready for anything. If it did play out like described and one of them been armed and aware it might have played out differently. No one wants to use their EDC in this way but why do we carry???
    Once used like this, your life will be forever changed but life might be saved.

Top Bottom