Really starting to dig into getting rid of cable.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    We've been cable free for 2 years now. We have Netflix and hulu. No antenna cause where we live it's pointless. It's not too bad. The annoying things I have are no live tv, no sports, and can't just plop down and mindlessly turn something on. I have to sit and choose what I want to watch. A lot of times my wife will tell me to choose, I just go through all the menus and then hand it back to her.

Jason

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    We ditched Scamcast a few months ago after getting fed up with constant price increases accompanied by steadily decreasing service quality. The neighborhood we live in doesn't allow outdoor antennas so we opted for an indoor antenna from RCA. It picks up almost 30 channels in this vinyl village, which is more than enough for us.

Resurrected because I'm getting ready to cut as well.

From the FCC website:
    (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I'm finally pretty pissed with Time Warner and their pricing and lack of customer service. Ultimately I would love to stick it to them and just drop their service all together. So being said I've started looking into going with things like Hulu plus, Amazon prime, and netflix with an hd antenna for locals.

So 2 questions for those who have already made this switch:

1) are there any channels you have issues getting? Or other options I'm overlooking?

2) what is a good hd antenna? I would like both indoor and outdoor options.

Thanks!
    Clay

The antenna really depends on how far away your are from the station. If you are within 20-25 miles, there is no reason you can't use a wall mount antenna. I use the mohu leaf and it works great. I got a refurbished unit from mohu for about $25. I could have spent a hundred or more and mounted it to the roof but it would not pick up any additional channels.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I just cut the cable this week. So far so good. We have Sling to get some cable channels and I added the sports package for a few extra sports channels. For $25 a month I am satisfied.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    I cut out all television (cable, dish, & broadcast) almost 1 year ago and don't miss the :poop: at all. Now, when I am anywhere a television is on, it is just annoying sound to me. I have found my life more relaxed because I am less stressed because I have more time to get projects and work done that was just wasted on TV. I replaced some of the TV time with more reading which to me is far more fulfiiling.

But I was never one to watch sports on TV. I was always only interested in the final score, and me watching it had no effect on that.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Can anyone in NE Indiana help me?

Recently, two TV's (need to check the third) lost channel 39* completely. Every other local channel has nearly 100% signal strength, but 39 is not even found. What happened?

* I only watch Create, not the liberal PBS stuff, I swear!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Can anyone in NE Indiana help me?

Recently, two TV's (need to check the third) lost channel 39* completely. Every other local channel has nearly 100% signal strength, but 39 is not even found. What happened?

* I only watch Create, not the liberal PBS stuff, I swear!

What's your zip code, ya commie b**tard? :stickpoke: I'll check the tower database.

Also, are you using a roofmount antenna, or just rabbit ears?

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    put your tv thru an auto select mode and let it relook for channels. mine changed and came back after I did this...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    IKR? Hence asking INGO...

Call the station and ask them if there has been a change in signal orientation or direction.

Ask a neighbor who uses an antenna if they are encountering issues.

If you are on top of the tower, you might need signal attenuation.

Top Bottom