• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    OK...I have noticed a lot of people on here apparently carry more than one handgun on them for self-defense. Some even carry three.

My question is........Besides an LEO or similar, why would the average fellow carry more than one gun at a time? I have an idea why I might want to at times, but I would like to hear from the folks that do and why.

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    Backup Bay bee!! I personally think its probably redundant but some ppl like the comfort of knowing that if their disarmed their not dead in the water.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Possibly due to injury or in a struggle the inability to access your primary weapon. One of the weapons jams and is beyond repair. Assailants coming or firing at you from different directions at the same time. The possibility that drawing a different weapon is faster than reloading a new magazine or speedloader. Arming another combatant sympathetic to your side. One weapon could be dropped or lost in a hasty retreat.These are off the top of my head, there are probably more reasons.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I actually heard a fantastic reason for carrying a second piece by none other than James Yeager. He said the best reason to is to be able to arm another person like a family member incase something really bad does happen. Never thought of it that way and it does make a bit of good sense. If you had to go and leave your wife, mother, father etc stationary during an episode, it'd give me a tremendous amount of peace of mind to know that they were armed. There are a lot of 'what it's' involved with that but it is food for thought, nonetheless.

dsom2006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Noblesville
    I normally carry a J85 revolver IWB at 4 o'clock and a Kahr CM9 in my right front pocket. I carry a spare magazine and a quick strip in my left front pocket. 23 rounds fairly conveniently. I don't consider either the primary or the backup. I assume the J85 is the primary if it a quick draw situation, but if I have tme to size up the situation and can get my hands in my pockets the CM9 would be the first drawn.

The reason for two guns in my opinion is if one gun needs to be surrendered for what ever reason you have a second concealed which would increase your odds of making through the situation.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I actually heard a fantastic reason for carrying a second piece by none other than James Yeager. He said the best reason to is to be able to arm another person like a family member incase something really bad does happen. Never thought of it that way and it does make a bit of good sense. If you had to go and leave your wife, mother, father etc stationary during an episode, it'd give me a tremendous amount of peace of mind to know that they were armed. There are a lot of 'what it's' involved with that but it is food for thought, nonetheless.

Yeager has alot of good things to say you just have to weed past his ego.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

This ^^

Many people are trained to use firearms and dont carry them.Either they cant do it legally or decide not to do it.

Maybe you take your wife to the range and she knows how to use your gun but dont want to go thru the trouble of carrying one.
    If something happens you can leave her with a gun.
    Same thing if you are with a friend from out of state that cant legally carry or things like that.

Im wondering about the legalities of doing that.
    What if you give a gun to someone that doesn't have a LTCH or even a convicted felon that cant legally use one, can they be charged for illegally carrying a gun? :dunno:

I would think that in a self defense situation they cant be charged for that.
    Also if you give them a gun and take it back after they used it it's not really carrying.

I would like to hear some of resident lawyers on that. :ingo:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My main thought is most BGs wouldn't expect a second gun on a victim. They somehow get the first and.......surprise!!

If they are that close that they can take your gun away from you then a knife looks like a better tool to use to fight back.

:twocents:

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Backup Bay bee!! I personally think its probably redundant but some ppl like the comfort of knowing that if their disarmed their not dead in the water.

Its interesting that you say comfort as I would imagine multiple guns would be quite uncomfortable. There are times when 1 gun is too much for the activity at hand.

jtdet01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Have a backup just as a backup. If for some reason it is needed due to the primary no longer effective, such as human error, a jam, or other mechanical malfunction. Maybe for his buddy who comes out later. Maybe for his buddies that shows up from down the street.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Have a backup just as a backup. If for some reason it is needed due to the primary no longer effective, such as human error, a jam, or other mechanical malfunction. Maybe for his buddy who comes out later. Maybe for his buddies that shows up from down the street.

If you dont know how to fix your jam you shouldn't carry a gun. :dunno:

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne

Personally I'm fine with one, but I think something with the ammunition capacity of a good sized semi-automatic makes for a good primary but having even in well maintained weapons things can happen. That's when it might be a good idea to have a small revolver handy. I don't personally see the need for two myself but I definitely wouldn't dismiss anyone who thinks it's a good idea for them.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.

My concern wouldn't be with a jam, but with a breakage type of malfunction. Guns are made of parts. Parts can and do break. If something on your Primary breaks, then you go to your Secondary. I should know, since I have worked Industrial Maintenance for the last 13 yrs.

Again... One = None & Two = One
    Even our engineers and plant manager understand this concept. ;)

ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN

I know how to fix a double feed. (which is a malfunction, a jam requires tools/disassembly to fix.) It takes 2 to 3 times longer to fix it than to draw the back up and deal with the reason that you were shooting to start with.

Would you rather spend that time fixing a malfunction or stopping a threat?

Don't think to hard about it. You will have the rest of your life to figure it out.

Top Bottom