• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • michaelw2608

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I was wondering if anyone would have suggestions on possible BOL, not exact locations of course, just ideas of what to look for.

I recently moved from southern indiana where there are all kinds of great BOL, plus my immediate family owns a decent amount of land down there.

I don't have those luxuries now. :(

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I think we would need to know a little bit more info in general.......generally speaking are you in Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Terra Haute, South Bend? I would work hard at getting to know someone in your area that owned said piece of BOP before just showing up somewhere. You would be an outsider and outsiders may not be taken kindly ;) Maybe plan your BOL at your families property in Southern Indiana, sounds better than anything else plus you know and trust them...Right?

Last edited:

michaelw2608

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Sorry, I am on the north side of Indianapolis.

For obvious reasons I didn't want to just take off onto someone elses land, that would probably be about as smart as walking through someone elses woods during the middle of shotgun season! Ha.

I've read some stuff on here (I think) about storage lockers. Maybe if I got one in Noblesville area then hoofed it there?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no law that says your permanent or semi-permanent BOL has to be halfway to Outer Mongolia. So long as you can find a location that is reasonably inconspicuous and defensible, I see no reason you can't manage where you are at least for a while. I can sympathize with you, however, as I have the same basic problem reaching what would be my first choice of being with the rest of the family in west central Indiana when I am located in Evansville. As you could imagine, enforcing my peace and tranquility where I am is a high priority and one I consider to be perfectly doable. The unfortunate truth is that at the breaking point, we will have to make do with what we have where we happen to be at the time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Consider travel routes, location of supply's along the way, support along the way. Lots to think about.
    Look at the possibility of staying put in the area you know and are comfortable with. Hard to leave all your stuff unless absolutely required.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Important to do before any SHTF: Get to know your new surroundings and who is in it.

As soon as we moved into where we are now, I was on my bicycle and searching google earth for all the places I was going and making little mental notes of what is where and shortcuts home and such.

Now that we've settled in, I can probably navigate the immediate area better than some people that have lived here much longer.

It's important to make contact with strangers, too. Get to know who might be shady and who is worth getting more acquainted with.

Good luck with your new digs and welcome to indianoplace.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Remember the keys to survival. Food water and shelter toss is protection as you move.
    City locations are tough as the higher count of people per area will make moving tough.

Knowing routes first to get out will be key. But remember in a SHTF situation you will have everyone and their families looking at water sources and main river areas. Parks with water settings will be impossible to use and people will fill up bridge locations. Ponds and reservoirs will also fill and parks with wooded areas will as well. Many factors

My best advice would be plan routes out of town and move toward your comfort zone. If you are alone (no kids) you will be able to pack miles farther. Just getting out of urban area will improve your chances.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    I don't know where you're from in Southern Indiana (and I don't need to know) but since you are on the north side of Indy, if you want to head south you might want to head east or west first and avoid the multitudes fleeing Indy and headed north. After you get out of Marion County then chart a path south. I would avoid trying to navigate through the inner city at all costs come SHTF. Just my opinion.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I don't know where you're from in Southern Indiana (and I don't need to know) but since you are on the north side of Indy, if you want to head south you might want to head east or west first and avoid the multitudes fleeing Indy and headed north. After you get out of Marion County then chart a path south. I would avoid trying to navigate through the inner city at all costs come SHTF. Just my opinion.

Some good points here.

My bug out vehicle is a canoe. Hit the creek on our property and head south until we are at our other property.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Stay away from the inner city. After you live here for a while you will know where you can go with some safety.

michaelw2608

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    My bug out vehicle is a canoe. Hit the creek on our property and head south until we are at our other property.

I actually thought about this, since I don't live terribly far from the White River, then I thought about this some more and realized, that the White River would take me right through the middle of Indianapolis. Which I figured, and others have mentioned, would not be a good idea in a SHTF situation.

I may be a bug-in type of guy for awhile. Unless its a situation that is confined to Indianapolis, then I may hoof it to a location where a relative or friend could pick me up. But that could be quite a trek even if the situation was confined to indianapolis. I just want to have a plan for different types of scenarios so I'm not caught with my pants down.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I actually thought about this, since I don't live terribly far from the White River, then I thought about this some more and realized, that the White River would take me right through the middle of Indianapolis. Which I figured, and others have mentioned, would not be a good idea in a SHTF situation.

I may be a bug-in type of guy for awhile. Unless its a situation that is confined to Indianapolis, then I may hoof it to a location where a relative or friend could pick me up. But that could be quite a trek even if the situation was confined to indianapolis. I just want to have a plan for different types of scenarios so I'm not caught with my pants down.

If you could pick it up just south of the city you would be good. Between 10th and 16th street there is a dam. I wouldn't hesitate using the river at night to get out of dodge. Its a silent escape and is faster then walking.

michaelw2608

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    If you could pick it up just south of the city you would be good. Between 10th and 16th street there is a dam. I wouldn't hesitate using the river at night to get out of dodge. Its a silent escape and is faster then walking.

To do that I would most likely have to drive straight into the carnage (with the assumption that downtown would be in worse shape than the edges).

May not actually be a terrible plan. I don't think traffic would be too terrible going towards the city. Most people would be trying to get out.

Another assumption I would be making here is that the SHTF event didn't make the roads impossible to drive on. Assumptions are probably not a good thing to make in this type of scenario. So back to the drawing board for me.

This would be a great idea for anyone living on the south side of Indianapolis though. Thanks for the ideas everyone!

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I've read some stuff on here (I think) about storage lockers. Maybe if I got one in Noblesville area then hoofed it there?

I really wouldn't use a storage locker as a bug out location but more as a location to store supplies should your house catch fire, neighbors house blows up and the whole neighborhood is evacuated or something that doesn't allow you to return home.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    To do that I would most likely have to drive straight into the carnage (with the assumption that downtown would be in worse shape than the edges).

May not actually be a terrible plan. I don't think traffic would be too terrible going towards the city. Most people would be trying to get out.

Another assumption I would be making here is that the SHTF event didn't make the roads impossible to drive on. Assumptions are probably not a good thing to make in this type of scenario. So back to the drawing board for me.

This would be a great idea for anyone living on the south side of Indianapolis though. Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Unless you have a crystal ball I don't think there is a wrong answer. The beauty of a shtf scenario is you don't know when, where or what it's going to be. You should have multiple plans of escape.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I may be a bug-in type of guy for awhile.
    Not may, you are a bug-in guy now. The effort involved to get around Indy from where you live now will be unreal.

You should probably drive SE for an hour, then turn and head SW, staying off interstates and major highways to do it.

Buy a Delorme gazetteer for the State of Indiana, the detail along with a real compass and binoculars is priceless. In addition to compass it also has GPS coordinates on it. If you see one for half price, don't buy it, it is probably 8-10 years old buy the newest one in print. I think for Indiana it may be 2011? I have one for every State I travel in or vacation in.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    As a plan it sucks. Don't believe me, wait for a Friday evening rush hour blizzard and head downtown, from any place on the dial. You will fly until you hit the connector downtown, then it will be 4 hours from there to 465.

If you have a detailed city map and Nav skills and get off the interstate once you get near downtown, maybe 2 hours. Don't go there.

michaelw2608

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Not may, you are a bug-in guy now. The effort involved to get around Indy from where you live now will be unreal.

You should probably drive SE for an hour, then turn and head SW, staying off interstates and major highways to do it.

Buy a Delorme gazetteer for the State of Indiana, the detail along with a real compass and binoculars is priceless. In addition to compass it also has GPS coordinates on it. If you see one for half price, don't buy it, it is probably 8-10 years old buy the newest one in print. I think for Indiana it may be 2011? I have one for every State I travel in or vacation in.

Thanks for the advice, I will try to find one.

I think you are right about going S.E then S.W. So currently my plan is bug-in, unless I can somehow get a jump on the traffic (so most likely bug-in), then take Zoub's advice and take the long way around Indianapolis. I will need to plan an estimated route just to calculate fuel needs, but I feel better now that I some sort of plan.

Still lots of things to consider and improve on, but ya gotta start somewhere I guess.

Top Bottom