• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Seems like the HGCP for Tennessee is pretty widely accepted. So now I am wondering why one state would except one states but not another's? Does anyone know the rationale or is there any.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Lots of reasons.
    some states will only accept others that have similar "training" requirements.
    some, like Indiana will accept all others.
    some will accept those states that accept theirs.
    I am assuming you mean "accept"!?

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    One reason I can think of is that some states (like ours) don't have a training requirement, so some states that do don't want to honor a states that doesn't.

Then there are states like tge peoples republic of Illinois or California that don't like the idea of their own citizens carrying guns, let alone someone from out of state.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Some states won't take a permit w/o a picture and signature on it. Ours has only a signature.
    The above reasons are also true, training makes a difference, etc.

Mostly though it is political.:patriot:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I've reviewed every state that doesn't recognize Indiana, and I have yet to find one that refuses to accept that of another state based on the lack of a photo. I know TN uses the phrase "facially valid", but that means that the permit is valid "on its face"; that it is not expired, etc., not that it has a photo.
    If there is a state I missed, please let me know. I don't mean this in sarcasm, but as a legitimate request.

From what I've found, most of those that refuse one state or another do so because of "training requirements" or dis-similarity of laws between the recognizing state and the one not recognized. A few do so because they don't recognize ANY other jurisdiction, and one that I enjoy making fun of is WA state, which refuses to recognize IN specifically because our LTCH is issued to our residents between the ages of 18 and 20 who apply and are "proper persons".

All in all, though, our LTCH is recognized in a total of 33 states. That's not a bad number, I think. :-)

Blessings,
    Bill

Some states won't take a permit w/o a picture and signature on it. Ours has only a signature.
    The above reasons are also true, training makes a difference, etc.

Mostly though it is political.:patriot:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I stand corrected. I had been told by several LEOs in some of the states that this was true. My bad. :)

That's OK. Up until a few years ago, several LEOs in some of our major cities here in Indiana would have told you that the LTCH required concealment, too. Some of that came from what their leadership taught/told them, some of it probably from officers' personal preferences. Either way, it was still false. Can't fault the guy who passes it along in good faith, though.

"When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken or he will cease being honest." You have retained your honesty. :)

Not only that, you were correct that for those other 17 states, it is mostly political.

Blessings,
    Bill

ETA:
    States that recognize or do not require IN LTCH: 28
    States that recognize IN LTCH, resident only: 5
    States that do not recognize IN LTCH: 15
    States that do not recognize IN LTCH based solely on where the carrier actually lives: 2

AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT,
    DE,
    FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN,
    IA, KS, KY, LA,
    ME, MD, MA,
    MI
    , MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH,
    NJ, NM, NY,
    NC, ND, OH, OK,
    OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX,
    UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY.

Last edited:

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    The whole recognition, reciprocity, preemption arena is a real mess. It is not a can of worms; rather it is a 55-gallon drum of worms, with the worms always moving and always changing. Big mess!

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    The idea of national reciprocity could--depending on wording--streamline this issue. On the other hand, given a chance the statists would pervert national reciprocity by imposing some set of 'federal standards' designed to prevent being armed--Like you need to meet the standard for the FBI's HRT.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The whole recognition, reciprocity, preemption arena is a real mess. It is not a can of worms; rather it is a 55-gallon drum of worms, with the worms always moving and always changing. Big mess!

To me, the worst part is when a state suddenly (and often arbitrarily) chooses to no longer recognize a permit or license that they did previous. For example, Minnesota nixing the UT permit last year. Or Nevada doing it several times to UT, AZ, etc.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    States vary in the nature and degree of the infringements they impose upon our right to keep and bear arms within their imaginary geographic borders of control.

Often, they will recognize exceptions to their own restrictions purchased under other states' requirements if those requirements are similarly strict and anti-liberty.

A few states won't allow any more liberty within their borders than the federal government demands, so they recognize none besides their own which are nearly impossible to get.

That's all I got.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    States vary in the nature and degree of the infringements they impose upon our right to keep and bear arms within their imaginary geographic borders of control.

I thought states rye-eeets were the closest thing to sacred INGO has?

I learn stuff every day.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    I thought states rye-eeets were the closest thing to sacred INGO has?

I learn stuff every day.
    :stickpoke:

Even Cledus and Jethro should know that states don't have rights.
    :stickpoke: :p

Hmmm.

That was a very libertarian-ish comment, sir. Almost . . . INGOtarian.

There is hope for you.
    :stickpoke:

Not so fast with the compliments there, amigo, he still favors daylight saving time. :nuts:

So a lawyer, a blind Chinaman, and a rhinoceros walk into a bar and ...

Top Bottom