Recommend a 1911 Pistol Smith to Fit a 9mm Barrel, Please!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Here's the deal. My trusty Springfield 1911A1 in 9mm has never shot good groups. The barrel sucks and it's getting worse, so I have decided I'd like to have a new barrel fitted (will probably go with Kart if it matters).

Here's the problem: None of my "go-to" guys have time in their schedule to do the work for me.

So, I'm looking for recommendations from shooters for a 1911 plumber within a couple of hours of Montgomery County. Preferably this would be someone who has a good track record of fitting barrels so that the gun is 100% reliable and as accurate as can be expected given the limitations of the parts. I'm asking here instead of the gunsmithing forum because (with all due respect), I am interested more in the opinions of people who shoot a lot, drive their guns hard, and understand what is acceptable and what is not in terms of reliability and accuracy.

I'd prefer to not ship the gun, which is why I am looking within a couple hours of Montg. Co.

Also, please do not be offended if I am familiar with the work of someone you recommend and prefer to not patronize them. If that's a problem for you, I'm okay if you don't want to offer advice to me.

Thanks!

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I recommend myself :) Though I'm not sure how close I am to you

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Yea a bit and barrel fitting is something I consider a specialty

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Rhino, AllenM is very capable of fitting a barrel for you, for whatever my opinion means to you. Just a warning, he fits them tight. It will need to be shot in before its 100% reliable with weak 9mm ammo (my open gun took 1000rds). Its easier to break in a .45 barrel because heavier recoil springs are used.

If you wanted to sacrifice a little accuracy, I'm sure a barrel could be fit not as tight so that it would be reliable right out of the gate. Wait, that would be kind of the way your gun came from Springfield.

Anyway, Allen is very knowledgeable about the 1911 platform and can help you figure out your issues.

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    Allen is the man! He would definitely be my choice for this. He built my open gun from the ground up. If he can do that…he can do anything with a 1911. He is building me another open gun right now as well. +1 to Moore GunWorks.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Allen,
    Can you make a .40 SS run reliably on factory length ammo?
    If you think you can I'm willing to give this piece of STI **** one more chance.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Rhino, AllenM is very capable of fitting a barrel for you, for whatever my opinion means to you. Just a warning, he fits them tight. It will need to be shot in before its 100% reliable with weak 9mm ammo (my open gun took 1000rds). Its easier to break in a .45 barrel because heavier recoil springs are used.

If you wanted to sacrifice a little accuracy, I'm sure a barrel could be fit not as tight so that it would be reliable right out of the gate. Wait, that would be kind of the way your gun came from Springfield.

Anyway, Allen is very knowledgeable about the 1911 platform and can help you figure out your issues.

Chad I have "loosend" them up a bit since that gun without sacrificing accuracy :) but I do fit up with tight to tolerance still

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    George in Brownsburg could do it also if he's not too backed up with custom builds. Website is still "under construction", but here's the email from it:

george@gh2custom.com

GH2 Custom - Home

Assuming GH2 is one of your "go to" guys that are too busy. Have you contacted Tony Hawkins about this? I have the impression he does his own gun work, but either way?

Yes, George is one of my go-to guys (the others being Darrel Stonebraker and Neil Keller). George doesn't have time to do it, Darrel doesn't have time to do it, and visiting Neil (don't know YET if he can do it or not) is a full day for the round trip plus the mandatory visit (Uncle Neil is COOL).

I had forgotten about Tony! I haven't talked to him a long time, but I'll see if he's interested. Thanks for the reminder!

Top Bottom