• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leomort

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Hello Everyone,

I've applied for my ccw. I want to carry my 1911 and looking for an instructor who's familiar with this platform that you could recommend that's in the Indianapolis area. Thank you for any help you can give.

Leo

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Not to down play your concern, but the type of gun you use is largely irrelevant when looking for a trainer.

The fundamentals of handgun training will translate to any weapon you use.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not to down play your concern, but the type of gun you use is largely irrelevant when looking for a trainer.

The fundamentals of handgun training will translate to any weapon you use.

Fundamentals are the same. Some differences in the manual of arms. I suppose it all depends on what the OP is looking for and whether there is some specific experience he is seeking. I would say most any handgun instructor will have at least some familiarity with the 1911. Fewer will know the specifics in and outs when it comes to taking one apart, diagnosing problems, holsters or other accessories, etc.

I will say this there are very few 1911s showing up in instructor or other more advanced training classes. There are still a few of us around but I think that is only because we are stubborn.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think I understand OPs angle. There is a little more to carrying a 1911 than a Glock. (manual safety, etc)

But ANY instructor is more than qualified to handle your concerns regardless of WHAT you carry.

leomort

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    I have never carry conceal before. Have used handguns as mostly range guns, revolves, DA/SA, striker fire, and 1911s. Have started using my 1911s in IDPA now. New to hand loading and reloaded 500 rounds of 45acp that I used in competition. For IDPA, mainly looking to be safe with pistol and become more familiar and intimate with the platform.

Reason looking for 1911 instructor is because of all the internet banter I hear about instructors bad mouthing 1911s for being unreliable. I don't want an instructor who's going to bash my choice of firearm or try to convince me to switch to striker fired handgun. I want an instructor who is going to be comfortable teaching someone who's using a 1911.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    NHT3 aka Charlie here on the Forum is familiar with the 1911 and is a quality instructor from the noob to the advanced shooter. He's a good guy and won't steer you wrong or try to sell you anything other than good fundamentals.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    You might want to check with Coach at Parabellum. If that doesn't work out, ACT has a defensive pistol class in October at Riley CC.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have never carry conceal before. Have used handguns as mostly range guns, revolves, DA/SA, striker fire, and 1911s. Have started using my 1911s in IDPA now. New to hand loading and reloaded 500 rounds of 45acp that I used in competition. For IDPA, mainly looking to be safe with pistol and become more familiar and intimate with the platform.

Reason looking for 1911 instructor is because of all the internet banter I hear about instructors bad mouthing 1911s for being unreliable. I don't want an instructor who's going to bash my choice of firearm or try to convince me to switch to striker fired handgun. I want an instructor who is going to be comfortable teaching someone who's using a 1911.

Come on down. I don't normally openly pimp myself on an open forum but I'll teach you whatever you want to know about 1911s. I carry them, shoot them, reload for them. We even have a Defensive Pistol class coming up in September and my guess is all of the instructors save one will be carrying a 1911. The oddball guy carrying Glock on duty so he shoots Glock.

Just dont bring a micro .380 to my class. I will be as nice as I can but outside of some very specific circumstances those are bad choice.

Craigh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    Come on down. I don't normally openly pimp myself on an open forum but I'll teach you whatever you want to know about 1911s. I carry them, shoot them, reload for them. We even have a Defensive Pistol class coming up in September and my guess is all of the instructors save one will be carrying a 1911. The oddball guy carrying Glock on duty so he shoots Glock.

Just dont bring a micro .380 to my class. I will be as nice as I can but outside of some very specific circumstances those are bad choice.

I'll throw in a hearty recommendation for Vert. I've worked and trained with him and he is more than capable of getting you started on the right path. And good on the OP for starting his journey by seeking instruction.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

I am NOT a trainer, but would be more than happy to accompany you, to a range, and show you, what I know .....

OR don't know, as it may be .....

26 years Military experience, and have been carrying, for a day or two .....

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I would be happy to go through it with you but I was also going to suggest Coach. It's not rocket science but running a 1911 generally takes a little more practice to get very proficient with it. OR enroll in one of our concealed carry classes and get general info and coaching on running a 1911. I would suggest starting with the 101 class at Parabellum.. Again I will refer you to Coach for the class schedules.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Certified Glock & M&P armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't know any trainers in Indiana who would purposely bash 1911s for being unreliable during their classes. Some will be candid about the special needs of 1911s and how to keep them running, but that's just being realistic.

I have completed more than 95% of my own training hours with 1911s. They will always be my favorite handguns and I shoot better with 1911s than any other handgun by far. I just wish they held more bullets! HAH!

leomort

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Thank you to all who have replied.

rhino, while I like the 1911 I don't believe it's perfect and want to become more familiar with it's strengths and weakness. And yes, I agree with you regarding limited ammo capacity. It was challenging at my first IDPA match running 8 round while everyone else is running 10. You wouldn't think two more rounds would matter that much but it does. I realized after that match that I'm not nearly as good as I thought I was just because I shoot few rounds at the range. It was a real eye opener for me.

SSGSAD, thank you for your kind offer. Will have to see if we could hook up sometime. I belong to Wildcat Valley & Pistol club up in West LaFayette but don't get there very often due to the distance/drive. I've been to Atterbury a few times and like them. Only live in Indiana 3 years now so still trying to find shooting clubs and ranges near me.

NHT3, thank you. I went to Parabullem website and sent an email inquiry.

obijohn, thank you for the information regarding ACT. I will keep that bookmarked.

VERT, thank you for your offer. What is the name of your place in Seymour? I should pass it along the way to Atterbury and will have to stop by and check you out. Do you offer women's classes as well?

Regards,

Leo

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I don't want an instructor who's going to bash my choice of firearm or try to convince me to switch to striker fired handgun.
    Good instructors teach software.

If you're in a class where they're constantly telling you to buy this or that in order to get better, you're at one of those timeshare seminars and not a skill-building class.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    VERT, thank you for your offer. What is the name of your place in Seymour? I should pass it along the way to Atterbury and will have to stop by and check you out. Do you offer women's classes as well?

Regards,

Leo

Leo I don't have a business. I am a hobbiest "instructor" who happens to be "certified" in cool gun stuff. Seymour has some neat gun shops you should check out but I have no affiliation other then friends with the owners. I am also an officer at South Central Gun Club and on the range committee at Sand Creek Conservation Club. Neither club has any association with my being an instructor outside of my offering an NRA class a couple times a year or some friendly private sessions for which I do charge for my time. Mostly I just like to help people learn about gun safety which is my contribution to the shooting sports.

It it just so happens that I do know a little bit about running a 1911.

I work with a lot of women and am the resident NRA instructor for a local Well Armed Woman chapter. I hope that will change as the ladies feel more confident in their own abilities and they become certified themselves.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    rhino, while I like the 1911 I don't believe it's perfect and want to become more familiar with it's strengths and weakness.

For self defense?

Hardware wise, very little. Ammo capacity comes into play VERY infrequently in self defense vs random crime (targeted crime can be another matter). A 1911 is generally easy to shoot and be accurate with, good ergonomics, etc.

The downside is software. I've seen greater than zero folks fail to deactivate the thumb safety when things mattered and lose because of that. If you want to carry a 1911, or any thumb safety equipped pistol, it's on you to put the work in. You need to be able to get the safety off when you're knocked down, when you're being grappled and jerked around, if your primary hand is occupied fending someone off or injured, etc. You also need to be very diligent about working the safety when you don't want to shoot. In a high stress situation where the issue has resolved from a "shoot" to "no shoot", you don't want an ND ruining your life. The short and light trigger pull is not resistant to trigger checks in the slightest. You have very little leeway for poor trigger and safety discipline.

Competing will help you get some of those skills onboard, but not all. The 1911 is a good choice *if* you are willing to put the work in. It's a less than ideal choice if you're not.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you want max ammo in IDPA using the 1911 look at the STI 2011. Same controls as a 1911. If you carry the 1911 you do need to work with the controls.

Top Bottom