• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I'll be using it for 600 yards and closer. I'm really liking the Vortex Ranger 1000, but I'm unsure if that's overkill. It looks like I can find an open box special on the Ranger 1000 for ~$260.. So I'd like to keep it around that price range. Anything else in this range that has similar features to the Vortex?

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    In my limited experience, a "1000yd" rangefinder may be needed at 600yds depending on the type of object being ranged. It seems that most of the "affordable" (<$750, IMO) units only get close to their rated range on highly reflective targets. For soft targets, I have had problems getting consistent results at even half the rated range with a few units. For example, the Bushnell unit Alan pointed somebody to a while back (post 3) is also a "1000yd" unit, but the info on Cabela's says that it is down to 650yds on non-reflective targets and as low as 350yds on deer.

On the Vortex, I seem to recall Alan saying they were generally reliable units and I HIGHLY recommend checking with him to see what he thinks is the best fit for your application.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    You really need to talk to Alan at AA Optics before you buy anything. He knows more about this stuff than anyone I have ever met and he only recommends something based on what you want to use it for. Which means that he will steer you away from what he carries if he thinks it won't do what you want or meet your budget. Below is what he told me to get and he doesn't carry it.

Bushnell - Elite 1 Mile CONX

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm very pleased with my Vortex Ranger and bought it after using a Leica CRF1000 for a couple of years. I use it for bowhunting whitetail and rifle hunting coyotes and it suits my purposes well and is accurate. The only drawback I've experienced was in heavy fog last Saturday, everything was 21 yards away for awhile and my hunting partner's Bushnell was working fine out to 70.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    You guys seem to be reaffirming my first instinct of going with the Vortex. Wouldn't mind hearing from Alan if he's not busy.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    You guys seem to be reaffirming my first instinct of going with the Vortex. Wouldn't mind hearing from Alan if he's not busy.

Sorry for the delay's in my posting (in all topics not just this one). I'm in the process of building a new facility, so for the last 4 months my short week has been 118 hours leaving very little time for anything except day to day operation's.

As others have mentioned range finders are all optimistic about their ranging abilities. They give the max range they work in lab conditions, and field conditions are much different that lab. The Vortex ranger is not overkill for your needs, its overkill for the bow hunter, or shotgun hunter, but if your wanting 600 yds, its about the right level of "kill"

Open box for 260 would give me pause. Dealer price is higher than 260 at the top buying tier. Companies don't lose money on their open box unit's, and by the time you figure CC fees, and shipping at 260 the company is losing quite a bit. If its a real Vortex it will be covered if something is wrong, if its not real then your up ___ creek.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    True. I'm not sure if it is a dealer selling it or if it's a private seller. That is something to consider/look out for though.

If its a private seller that's a different story. That's in the ball park for a used unit. If he is a private seller it is a USED unit no matter what he did with it. Used on 1 hunt is the same as used for 4 seasons.

Top Bottom