• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    If you don't mind me asking, what feature(or lack there of) did not meet your criteria?

I can't find an option that is momentary on the tailcap button. I've come to the same conclusion as esrice on this. You will push too hard when you think you won't. And when you release, the light will stay on when not expecting.

This is the same reason I release the slide with a power stroke, rather than pushing down the slide stop. I know I can perform that action no matter what. It is exactly the same motion, regardless of whatever semi-auto pistol I pick up.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    OP can you define this a bit better? Would this include striking with the light?

This will be my go-to light for bumps in the night, but also my primary defense "weapon" when on campus at night (still no campus carry at Purdue yet and I have absolutely zero training or confidence with a knife). So, I suppose it could potentially be used as a striking device.

Also, it seems that the LX2 is back-ordered everywhere (for the $147 price point)... is this due to the new models coming out?

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Check out the Olight M20S. It is great, with 3 settings plus strobe. It remembers the last setting too. Comes in a nice hard case and includes a light pouch. I've used mine a lot and love it so much that I'm thinking about buying another one.
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Olight-M20S-R5-Operations-Flashlight/dp/B0051F7S2C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345480104&sr=8-4&keywords=OLIGHT]Amazon.com: Olight M20S R5 Cree XP-G R5 LED Warrior Special Operations 320 Lumen Tactical Flashlight with Side Switch, Black: Home Improvement[/ame]

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    If you go with Surefire, pick a model with a TIR lens, this will be on the higher end models such as the back up, LX2, E2D... you'll be happier with this lens. The P2X, and G2X are nice lights because you can get the high and low mode. You will be surprised how often you use the low mode. but not as nice as the lights with the TIR lens.

LX2's and E2D's are on back order from the factory, SF says September, but they are known for not hitting deadlines.....

If you want to save some money, get a 4Sevens light. good quality, and a 10 year warranty. 4Sevens will also have the best available LED technology in their lights vs any one else. (they do it first anyway). I personally like the quark tactical models as I prefer the simpler interface.

Elzetta is cool. These are built better than a Surefire, but they are also heavier as well. But you can't break these things.

To the OP:
    The LX2 is nice, it'll have more than enough light, the low mode is plenty for most general use. But this is a two cell light, so keep the length in mind for EDC.
    I carry a E1B back up every day. Little bit smaller, TIR lens, hi and lo mode. Also a little cheaper.
    Surefire E1B Back up BLACK

If you need a couple lights, or want to save some money, the Quark Tactical QT2L is a really nice light. You'll give up a little in build quality, but you get more light output.

Quark Tactical QT2L-AA

Feel free to PM or post questions. I get to play with these things all day :)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    In that review it said that a non-clicky tailcap is available on Elzetta lights. So I went to their website and "built" a light using their online tool.

They call it their "Rotary" switch, but its a "tactically correct" tailcap. I also built it with their slimmer profiled head, which would make it more pocket friendly.

Elzetta ZFL-M60-LS2R Tactical LED Flashlight

ZFL-M60-LS2R,%20cropped.jpg

In that configuration you've basically got a Surefire LX2-- except its still missing a pocket clip. Price is $170.

Their specs are so closely matched I've love to get my hands on one to compare.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    In that review it said that a non-clicky tailcap is available on Elzetta lights. So I went to their website and "built" a light using their online tool.

They call it their "Rotary" switch, but its a "tactically correct" tailcap. I also built it with their slimmer profiled head, which would make it more pocket friendly.

Elzetta ZFL-M60-LS2R Tactical LED Flashlight

ZFL-M60-LS2R,%20cropped.jpg

In that configuration you've basically got a Surefire LX2-- except its still missing a pocket clip. Price is $170.

Their specs are so closely matched I've love to get my hands on one to compare.

Much different feel than a LX2. Heavier and better knurling. Light output and beam pattern are very similar.

If guys are interested in a particular Elzetta, let me know. Our pricing as a dealer will be a little better than buying straight from them.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can't find an option that is momentary on the tailcap button. I've come to the same conclusion as esrice on this. You will push too hard when you think you won't. And when you release, the light will stay on when not expecting.

What if you want to be able to leave it on and have only one hand available? Being able to click is more useful to me than lacking that option. Unless you're talking about accidentally clicking it on when you're not really using the light, I don't see accidentally clicking as that much of a problem. If it clicks, clicking again isn't a big deal to get it back to momentary.

You also can modify clicky switches so that they are unlikely to click when you don't want them to click, but you can still click with your thumb if you really need to click.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What if you want to be able to leave it on and have only one hand available? Being able to click is more useful to me than lacking that option. Unless you're talking about accidentally clicking it on when you're not really using the light, I don't see accidentally clicking as that much of a problem. If it clicks, clicking again isn't a big deal to get it back to momentary.

You also can modify clicky switches so that they are unlikely to click when you don't want them to click, but you can still click with your thumb if you really need to click.

Before spending the day with Shay I would have agreed. For general purpose use I like my clicky cap, but when using the light for flashing and striking I could never get the light to turn off when I wanted. I prefer the press to turn on and release to go off. Much more of a gross motor skill.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Before spending the day with Shay I would have agreed. For general purpose use I like my clicky cap, but when using the light for flashing and striking I could never get the light to turn off when I wanted. I prefer the press to turn on and release to go off. Much more of a gross motor skill.

That's okay. If that's going to be your only use or primary use, I suppose it makes sense.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    That's okay. If that's going to be your only use or primary use, I suppose it makes sense.

Keep in mind also that those with the non-clicky tailcaps can be constant-ON by twisting the endcap. You don't lose that ability entirely.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I hate to interrupt your gear thread with a call for training, but I'd like to point out that training is more important that just buying gear.

Many of my students have chimed in on this thread and talked about new realizations and reprioritizations after taking my Flashlight Combatives class. They will tell you that a defense flashlight's features matter because they have used them in ways that actually test those features.

Buying good gear is good, but don't neglect taking a class to learn better ways to use it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Keep in mind also that those with the non-clicky tailcaps can be constant-ON by twisting the endcap. You don't lose that ability entirely.

I took Rhino's comment to mean that he specifically does not like the twisting endcap for constant on because it takes two hands. To me not a big deal for a defensive light. For a general purpose light I actually like the clicky tailcap. I still usually carry my E2DL at work because I like how the tail cap is protected and it is easier to turn on with one hand.

I hate to interrupt your gear thread with a call for training, but I'd like to point out that training is more important that just buying gear.

Many of my students have chimed in on this thread and talked about new realizations and reprioritizations after taking my Flashlight Combatives class. They will tell you that a defense flashlight's features matter because they have used them in ways that actually test those features.

Buying good gear is good, but don't neglect taking a class to learn better ways to use it.
    :yesway: Flashlight Combatives is an excellent value.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I ran my sure fire g2 for years, one ham turned it on, not super fast but one hand would get me to the constant on, ride a motorcycle for a while, turning a g2 to constant on is way easier than opening a water bottle and retaining the cap one handed.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I took Rhino's comment to mean that he specifically does not like the twisting endcap for constant on because it takes two hands.

While I can still access and rotate the tailcap of the LX2 one-handed, I agree that it isn't as natural as with a clicky tailcap (for utility purposes).

Top Bottom