• ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Looking to get a pair or two of gloves.

first set would be primarily for shooting in winter or at least wearing in winter but retaining the ability to manipulate a pistol.

second set would be to stash in the disaster bag. Could be the same as the first set.

Ive been looking at the PIG stuff from SKD, the SOLAG stuff from Blackhawk, 5.11 stuff, etc

opinions? Experience?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I think there was a glove review or two on here a while back. One of the UnderArmor gloves seems to be well liked.

As for BOB/GHB/etc..., I keep several pairs of various Mechanix gloves in my bag, in the car/truck, or in the house and garage. Great for changing a tire or effecting a road-side repair. I use them for pretty much all outdoor work, unless it is REALLY cold (the cushioned ones are awesome with the chainsaw). I even use them at the range, as the material on some is very thin and grippy.

Not nearly as 'tactical' as other choices, but, well, neither am I. :D

| | | | |
    \/\/\/\/\/ Lovemachine found it

Last edited:

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I have a pair of Maxiflex gloves that fit tight and have incredible grip. I can pick up a small screw and hand thread it. They are work gloves but would be awesome shooting gloves. They are way out of the norm for shooting but I like them. And I get them at work. Not sure of there cost. I don't like thick gloves for shooting or even in winter but I thats me.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Check these out. I've always had good luck with the durability of Mechanix gloves, although they are not for cold weather, but probably above 30 degrees. I'm thinking about ordering a pair. I particularly like the paracord loop for pulling them on.

[video=youtube;2G7snXaNRac]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G7snXaNRac[/video]

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Looking to get a pair or two of gloves.

first set would be primarily for shooting in winter or at least wearing in winter but retaining the ability to manipulate a pistol.

second set would be to stash in the disaster bag. Could be the same as the first set.

Ive been looking at the PIG stuff from SKD, the SOLAG stuff from Blackhawk, 5.11 stuff, etc

opinions? Experience?

Depends on what you mean by winter...

Going to have to get more specific on a temp range. What works well for 15-20 minutes can be useless at the 25 minute mark.

I have a lot of gloves at this point. I just picked up a pair of the Mechanix winter wind gloves, they seem really nice BUT only using them at various temps will show what they are really capable of.

If you are looking for Midwest winter and pistol... you are going to be very flexible on the "manipulate" part because you are asking about a disaster bag, not about "what will be ok for 30 minutes at the range?"

I'll report back, once it gets cold enough, on the winter wind mechanix's gloves I got. Regular mechanix I can run down to about 32 degrees for a couple hours... provided there is NO wind. With wind, below 35 for any amount of time is rough.

I talk about some of the gloves I run here:

[video=youtube;uQw5GbYsOqI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQw5GbYsOqI[/video]

FWIW a pair of nomex flight gloves can work fairly well to about 32 degrees with mild wind and 25 with no wind for me.

outnumbered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I have found mil-spec nomex aviator and heavier tank drivers to be my go to for shooting gloves. Since I'm almost 20 yrs removed from service my stash has dwindled to only 2 serviceable pairs. While I've found leather mechanix to be be fairly comfortable, I only feel comfortable on long guns with them. Plus the flame resistance of the nomex is never a bad thing. I will soon have to break down and either try to barter with my current contacts still on duty(beer always works) or officially pay for some for the first time in my life.

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    This may sound weird, but for purely shooting in cold weather I've found that winter golf gloves are excellent. Think about it, they are designed to give you maximum feel for a golf swing, it translates very well to trap shooting, speed steel shooting or just any type of general shooting. You can catch them on sale and there a dozen different brands, just find one you like...

-Drew.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Figured I'd throw my thoughts in here. I bought some Mechanix cold weather insulated gloves a month or so ago, hadn't had a chance to shoot with them on. Got the chance New Year's Day. It was brisk and breezy, 30 degrees maybe. Was out for 7 hours with them on, for short periods they would work fine, shooting rifles they seemed ok, handguns I struggled with. Mainly not being able to have full dexterity. I'm not a fan of shooting with gloves and my accuracy severely struggled, but without at least something on I wouldn't have be able to type this. I forgot rubber gloves in his instance, putting those on under regular gloves helps a bunch with keeping body heat in. I wish they would have a little more range of motion between the index finger and thumb.

Cold Weather > The Original Insulated : Mechanix Wear

Top Bottom