• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    What would you recommend as a first shotgun for a 13 year old boy? Currently I have an H&R Topper Model 158 12ga - but it's got a pretty stout kick.

We would be using it for the occasional hunting of rabbit, squirrel, or similar.

I was thinking 20 gauge... Someone recommended 410 to me, but that seems underwhelming.

I kind of like the idea of a single shot, but maybe that would grow old as he grew older? And finally, he's not the most gentle on things - so I'm not looking for something heirloom quality. Sturdy, durable, proven, run-of-the-mill shotgun. Thanks.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    How big is the kid? I'd say at 13, he should be seriously close to being able to manage a 12 gauge just fine.

If you go with something smaller, he is probably going to want to move up rather quickly.

Personally, I'd look at a Remington 870 Express youth model.

It's pretty much identical to the standard 870, but it has a shorter LOP stock (for smaller arms). It's also very easy to upgrade to a standard stock if your sons size requires. Not to mention, it's an 870... he would almost have to be the hulk to destroy it.

The gauge is up to you.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'd be searching for a 20 gauge shotgun for him.

Look at a CZ Over/Under 20 gauge. They are modestly priced, built very well. They have quite a few models from basic to very fancy, stick with the basic models and you can't go wrong. It will be a gun he can use for the next 50 years.

Stoeger makes a basic 20 gauge O/U as well, I don't think it balances or swings as well as the CZ but they are even cheaper. Mossberg also makes a 20 gauge O/U, I think its called the Silver Series.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I was 10 yearsold when my dad bought me my first Mossberg 500 12 gauge. Just remember they heavier the gun the less kick its going to have. Plus if your son is 13 he is probably going to have a growth spurt or two so I would get something he can grow into.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Remington 870 youth 20 gauge is what I bought for my son.

Doesn't Mossberg have a youth model 500 that comes with bigger butt pads to lengthen the lop as the child grows?

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    My vote is for an H&R topper in 20ga. I got one as my first gun in 1975 and will still use it. Shoots great and has great sentimental value to me because it is my first gun.

ederue

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    I'm doing the same - really leaning to the 20 ga. the .410 just doesn't have the capability. Mossburg makes a bantam model 500 with the combo barrels.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I'm going to go with the full size 870 in either 12 or 20. My dad got me a full size 20 when I was a little younger than that. I still deer hunt with it every year. Get him one he can use for the rest of his life.

grouse08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    I'm going to go with the full size 870 in either 12 or 20. My dad got me a full size 20 when I was a little younger than that. I still deer hunt with it every year. Get him one he can use for the rest of his life.

Ive been shooting managed recoil slugs in my 12 gauge. I believe my 10 yearl old could handle it

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Blackdog765,

I do believe I would push the .410 for a while.

There are two (2) reasons for this.

Reason #1) Light recoil for someone who is younger. Even IF he can handle the heavier recoil of a larger bore the light recoil will be a bit less taxing.

Reason #2) It will FORCE him to take his time and be more accurate! I wouldn't want him with his first personally owned firearm to just believe in "spraying the countryside" with shot, but rather to take his time and learn the patience of control with a smaller grouping.

Once he learns the patience and skill of accuracy then I would feel much more comfortable with him moving to a larger bore with greater spread.

Just my :twocents: and I hope it helps.

Regards,

Doug

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    My runt of a son handles recoil pretty well. He shoots any of my full power bolt rifles with ease and loves my .45-70. He's been shooting Mausers and Mosin Nagants since he was 11. I bought a 20ga 870 youth for him to use when we go hunting and he likes it. I even find it a comfortable shooter even with it's slightly shorter stock.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I'm going to split the difference and suggest the 16 gauge.
    CZ has the 201 and 202 SxS double barrels which be a good combo for a youngster.
    I grew up hunting with my Great Grandfathers 16 gauge. I was real young and pretty small but got along with it quite well. A good SxS handles well and carries light.
    The O/U mentioned earlier would be a good choice too.
    Also checkout the Browning BPS Upland special. They have one or more with the straight stock that are really good looking guns and any young hunter would be proud to have one. The 16 gauge version is made on the 20 gauge receiver, not 12 gauge, so you would be getting a true 16 gauge pump gun.
    The 16 is often overlooked but it is an excellant cartridge. And as far as ammo availability I've heard people bring it up but I've never found it to be true.

Top Bottom