• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I'm thinking about adding one of these to my family of rifles.
    Doesn't have to be an AR type
    $1,500 range

Any thoughts from owners?

Thanks

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    i was originally looking for a dsa fal, but ended up with a springfield m1a scout with wood stock. I have 5 20 rnd CMI mags and 7 25 rnd CMI mags plus tons of ammo for it. I love the thing. I am actually about to upgrade a lot of the parts... it doesnt need it, but I want to get the best parts in it. there is a one for sale here for your price... (i think it is fate) https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ield-m1a-scout-rifle-wood-w-20-round-mag.html

The one posted does not have the scout mount in the front, but you are better off without that to be honest. it is directly connected to the barrel, gets crazy hot (not the best thing for optics, but they could handle it) and there are other options that will allow optics to be mounted lower so you can get a better checkweld, but m1a stocks are meant for the iron sights so you may need something to help with that if you want a scope. I am taking mine off once I get the parts ordered.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I know the haters are going to come alive but I have a few Armalite AR10s and love them - only issues Ive had were self inflicted or from me being lazy and not cleaning as often as I should have - theyre a little more than 1500 more @ 1600-1650 new - My second choice would be a Rock River in that price range - stay away from bargain names unless you like quality issues - my 2cents

Atlas5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I have a Springfield M1A SOCOM. It's a great rifle and i've never had any problems with it. I think any of the Springfield M1As would be a good choice.If you want to get an AR 10 you should take a look at the POF308. I think that will be my next big buy in the future.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Those POF308's seem nice, and certainly a BIG buy for $3,000!
    I always like the Springfield M1A1, but magazines appear to be pretty steep, although I can't imagine needing more than 5, but that's around $100.

Lots of good suggestions, but I'm leaning toward the DSA FAL Tactical Carbine. If I'm making the jump, I might even "buy once, cry once" and get the SAW grip with extreme duty scope mount and optic and be done with it. and a 3 point sling. and a bi pod. and a hard case. and picatinny front rails

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Damn, the FAL already weighs enuf! Why put more tangly, breaky, weighty parts? Get a good 2 point sling and forget those 3 point abortions.

Last edited:

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    I love my FAL's - "Right Arm of the Free World" and all that stuff.

In that price range, you could get a DSA or even a nicely built kit gun for less than that that will shoot as good or better than the DSA. A nice STG-58 comes to mind and if you search for previous posts I've had, you will see where I had one up for sale in a moment of weakness.

If you haven't been there before, check out The FAL Files - Powered by vBulletin Everything you ever wanted to know about FAL's. Kits without receivers (if you are interested in building your own) or complete kit riFALs come up for sale all of the time.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Damn, the FAL already weighs enuf! Why put more tangly, breaky, weighty parts. Get a good 2 point sling and forget those 3 point abortions.

and a laser. and a light. and a forend grip

Seriously, I think it's hard to beat the clean looks of thing. I don't even like to gadget up my M4. I'll be browsing the 500 this weekend for an FAL, I think.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'm thinking about adding one of these to my family of rifles.
    Doesn't have to be an AR type
    $1,500 range

Any thoughts from owners?

Thanks

Hello Speedway! From a former resident.

I always like the Springfield M1A1, but magazines appear to be pretty steep, although I can't imagine needing more than 5, but that's around $100.
    Sorry to be a nazi, but please don't confuse:
    M1A1 M1 carbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With a civilian version of the M14 Springfield Armory

I have one. For me, it's more fun to shoot than any of my ARs. And it will confidently bring home dinner to 800 meters...

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Hello Speedway! From a former resident.

Sorry to be a nazi, but please don't confuse:
    M1A1 M1 carbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With a civilian version of the M14 Springfield Armory

I have one. For me, it's more fun to shoot than any of my ARs. And it will confidently bring home dinner to 800 meters...

For a while at least, Springfield designated their semi-auto civilian version as the M1A1. I had my eye on a couple in the early 90s, but settled for a Norinco M-14. I only kept that a few years, because I just never got along with it well.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    For a while at least, Springfield designated their semi-auto civilian version as the M1A1.

That would explain why some of my old school friends have also referred to the gun as an A1, but I've never seen an ad that made that reference as far back as '98. :dunno:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Have to add my 2 cents for the STG-58. The Imbel one I have is one of those that if there were tanks surrounding my house demanding me turn over my firearms, the STG-58 would be among the last.

That said, I also have a VEPR in .308 and am happy with it. The .308 VEPRs are under $1000 leaving room for optics and ammo. Not as nice as the STG, but not bad for the price.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    I have a POF .308 and the thing is amazing. $3000 is MSRP. I bought mine for $2200 during the peak of the craziness. I am sure yoi could find one for cheaper now. The parts are very expensive if you want spares though. If you dont want something so exotic S&W just came out with a .308 version of their M&P. My LGS has two for I think around $1300 and I know that the Lafayette Gander Mtn. Had at least one when I was there this week.

I was struggling with this same choice a year ago. Bought a Kel-Tec RFB, sold it, Bought an FAL, sold it, shot an FNAR , didnt fit the bill. Finally settled on the SR-25 style AR.308. Dont know why I was so reluctant/against it in the beginning.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I have 2 Springfield M1As(Standard & Socom) and 1 DPMS LR-308. The LR-308 is hands down more accurate, but the M1As are probably going to be more reliable if things were to go downhill. It depends on what you are looking to get out of the platform. The LR-308 is a LOT easier to mount optics to. I have my M1A Standard w/a Basset mount for a scope. M1As are extremely reliable, and I haven't had a single problem with either as of to date. Plus, Springfield has a Lifetime Warranty on all their products even if you aren't the original owner. Happy hunting!

Top Bottom