• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    Hello all, I am new to firearms in general (not counting my experience as a boy scout 15 years ago...) and I am looking for a handgun.

Why am I looking for a handgun? My wife told me to :). Also known as home defense and concealed carry every now and then. I do know to wait to cc after I get my LTCH, which I plan to apply for and do the L1 thing early next month.

I am taking the NRA basic Pistol course this weekend at Indy Gun Safety so I imagine I will have a little bit better grasp of everything then but for now I wanted to get some opinions.

I am not really interested in a revolver.

So far I have done a fair amount of Internet research and I think I am leaning towards a 9mm. It seems to me that 9mm ammo is cheaper to shoot than say 40S&W and with the right ammunition it works well for my purposes. I can be persuaded away from that though...

As far as models here is what I have been thinking: Glock G19, S&W M&P9c, or a Ruger SR9c

After holding a few at Bradis last weekend I think I am more narrowed down to a Gen4 G19 or an SR9c, they didn't have an sr9c in stock but the SR9 felt slightly better in my hand than the G4 G19. The G4 G19 felt better than the G3 G19 and that felt better than the M&P9c.

So it seems that the sr9c is about $150 cheaper than a g19 and it is american made too. I have read they are both decent and reliable guns, but from my reading through forums online I see more people mention a random failure on an sr9c than I see people mention any issues with a g19.

So I am looking for any advice/recommendations. I am open to anything I didn't mention or even a different caliber, I am just curious about what people think someone in my position should look for in a first handgun or advice on sr9c vs g19

Thanks in advance for any replies

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I think for your wife & you, I would start with a S&W or RUGER 357 MAGNUM revolver & start by shooting 38 SPECIAL, until the both of are shooting accurate enough to hit a "HUMAN size HEAD" at 25 yards, & then moving up to 357 MAGNUM ammo

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Most folks go with a revolver for their first handgun, just for simplicity sakes. But I agree with the above, handle SEVERAL different makes/models, and even shoot as many as possible to see what fits you the best.

Welcome to INGO.

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    just for clearing things up, the sr9's don't have "random failures" they had a specific barrel peening issues that was fixed after the first gen. other than that they aren't known for failures, some have said it does have a distinct break in period of about 200-300 rounds..(which, really, is a ruger thing...my p95 had ftf's and fte's in the first 200 then it just topped, P95 is another good handgun regardless of experience)

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Welcome to INGO, and I'm not a Glock fanboy or anything but, you really couldn't go wrong with the G19. It's simple. Simple is good for a new shooter.

nsenneking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Ballstown
    im no glock fan and i think if you want simplicity, go with a revolver. but i personally would go with the ruger, my buddy's shoots great

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I would recommend revolver out of the gate without training or experience. However, if you go with your list pick what is comfortable and find someone to give some training on that gun.
    Cant go wrong with a Glock.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Wouldn't a G26 be more comparable to the other guns you're looking at than a G19?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I will agree with everybody else, G19 is a good choice.
    9mm is good for new shooters too and will do the job for self defense/home defense.
    I think a new shooter should start with a .22 but if you will just buy one gun you may as well get the 9mm right away.
    Also you plan to take a class, that's good so you should be ok with a 9mm right away.
    Dont forget eyes and ear protections for your class.
    Be safe and welcome ton INGO.

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    Thanks everyone for replying, I appreciate it

To all suggesting a revolver thanks, I will look into revolvers some. And yes I do plan to continue training regardless of my final choice in handgun, I want to be a safe and responsible gun owner.

just for clearing things up, the sr9's don't have "random failures" they had a specific barrel peening issues that was fixed after the first gen. other than that they aren't known for failures, some have said it does have a distinct break in period of about 200-300 rounds..(which, really, is a ruger thing...my p95 had ftf's and fte's in the first 200 then it just topped, P95 is another good handgun regardless of experience)

thanks for clearing that up, I figured it might be an issue that was already fixed and now I know :)

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I think for your wife & you, I would start with a S&W or RUGER 357 MAGNUM revolver & start by shooting 38 SPECIAL . . .

+1

When younger I owned and carried handguns, but had been away from guns for many years (wife issue :dunno: - "ex" wife I should say). A few years ago I got interested in carrying again and my buddies who have many guns talked me into a revolver for the first one. I'm glad I did. It allowed me to get comfortable with shooting again and as noted a .357 allows you to "step up" in ammo choices. If you go this route, look into wad-cutter ammo in .38 special. It is target practice ammo and has a very light kick to it. You can get comfortable with that and then go to other .38 special rounds and then on to .357 magnum all with the same gun.

BTW, my revolver is a S&W model 60. I now also own multiple semi-autos all in 9mm and carry one every day, but still love to shoot the revolver. I've also used it to get other potential shooters interested especially using the wad-cutter ammo.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    First of all, welcome to the club. I'm new here myself, and just recently went through the same decision-making process. I also went through the NRA basic pistol course up here in Fort Wayne and highly recommend it. I learned more than I thought I would for sure.

I ended up getting a Walther PPS in 9mm back in January at the gun & knife show. It is very similar to a glock, but only 1 inch wide at its widest point. I highly recommend it if you plan on carrying a lot. I've got 300 rounds through it with no failures of any kind, and it is very accurate. I'm 5' 5", 125 lbs, with a 28" waist and I can conceal it under a small t-shirt no trouble. You do have a reduced capacity (6 + 1 with smallest mag), but that still beats a revolver if you have extra 8-round mags. It's slightly more expensive (I paid $565, brand new), but for me it's worth it for the extra width reduction.

If you want higher capacity, then the Glock would be fine. I agree with RobbLG that a G26 would be more comparable to your other choices.

Also, know that when you read weapon-specific forums the sample of owners is very biased; you tend to get many more posts from those with failures than from those who have no problems.

Good luck.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Hey Defender, welcome to INGO.
    It looks like you've got it narrowed down to three fine choices: Glock, Ruger and S&W. Of those three, I like the SR9c best. Actually, the SR9c closer in size to the Glock 19 than the 26. Good luck with your shopping.
    ---
    GB!

Jenel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    Hello all, I am new to firearms in general (not counting my experience as a boy scout 15 years ago...) and I am looking for a handgun.

Why am I looking for a handgun? My wife told me to :). Also known as home defense and concealed carry every now and then. I do know to wait to cc after I get my LTCH, which I plan to apply for and do the L1 thing early next month.

I am taking the NRA basic Pistol course this weekend at Indy Gun Safety so I imagine I will have a little bit better grasp of everything then but for now I wanted to get some opinions.

I am not really interested in a revolver.

So far I have done a fair amount of Internet research and I think I am leaning towards a 9mm. It seems to me that 9mm ammo is cheaper to shoot than say 40S&W and with the right ammunition it works well for my purposes. I can be persuaded away from that though...

As far as models here is what I have been thinking: Glock G19, S&W M&P9c, or a Ruger SR9c

After holding a few at Bradis last weekend I think I am more narrowed down to a Gen4 G19 or an SR9c, they didn't have an sr9c in stock but the SR9 felt slightly better in my hand than the G4 G19. The G4 G19 felt better than the G3 G19 and that felt better than the M&P9c.

So it seems that the sr9c is about $150 cheaper than a g19 and it is american made too. I have read they are both decent and reliable guns, but from my reading through forums online I see more people mention a random failure on an sr9c than I see people mention any issues with a g19.

So I am looking for any advice/recommendations. I am open to anything I didn't mention or even a different caliber, I am just curious about what people think someone in my position should look for in a first handgun or advice on sr9c vs g19

Thanks in advance for any replies

Just my opinion so don't just take my word for it:

If the Glock 19 feels good to you, it's a great first auto. I've been in law enforcement for over four years and have owned the Glock 17, 19, 26, 22, 23, and 27. I have never had a failure of any kind related to a Glock. (The few failures I've experienced were ammo related.) I'm not going to get into a peeing contest about which caliber is the best either. That being said... if your not dead set on a 9mm i would suggest the .40 S&W. Again IN MY OPINION, the .40 is the best compromise between capacity, penetration, knockdown power, and price. The Glock 23 is identical to the Glock 19, and the 4th generations are very nice. I'm not just a Glock guy either, there plenty of great guns, but no gun is perfect for every occasion. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Whichever gun you choose, make note that ammunition itself can be the cause of many malfunctions. For a self defense weapon, this can be an important factor.

Many go to great lengths to shop for a firearm, and then make the mistake of using unreliable ammunition.

Michld01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Welcome to INGO. Both guns you have mentioned will get the job done. I would recommend getting a lot of practice handling and firing the gun before relying on it for self defense and as a carry gun.

adventures47129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Clarksville
    Cost... concealabity... weight... Just a few things to consider also. I know everyone here is a Glock fan, but you may want to also consider other brands of weapons. Kahr has the CW series that are light, small, and great. They come in 380, 9, 40, and 45. These guns are very reliable and cost you far less then the Glock. Gun stores will lead you to the guns they can profit on. Most Gun owners will tell you to buy their guns. You and your wife should like and shoot the gun. It should fit the two of you if you are only going to have one gun in the house. Get to the range... find one that rents guns and shoot. Best of luck with your search!!!

Top Bottom