• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • npbrownf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    I have been playing with the idea getting a compact 9mm to carry. I was just wanting some thoughts or recommendations.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Man, 9mm compacts are kinda in great abundance. There are so many brands and styles.

You might want to list some features that you like or what experience you might have to help narrow it down.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Compact is vague in the world of 9mm. I think you need to be more specific.

npbrownf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    The only handgun I own is a glock 23. I know I need more practice for sure! When I try to plug away quickly it seems that it is hard to get it back into aim to take another shot! I thought maybe a smaller calber might help?

Hit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    I would definitely check out Springfield's XDs and the S&W M&P9c. I have a full size M&P9 that shoots real well and has given me no troubles with about 2000 rounds through it.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    The only handgun I own is a glock 23. I know I need more practice for sure! When I try to plug away quickly it seems that it is hard to get it back into aim to take another shot! I thought maybe a smaller calber might help?

Then go with the Glock 19. At best, you will stick with it; at worst, it will improve your shooting with the 23. Where are you located?

Bumsi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Mc Cordsville
    Put a Ruger SR9c in your hand. If it doesn't make you smile then try something that fits your hand. I was amazed when I first shot mine. Managable recoil, very sweet trigger, and it comes with an exteded magazine that holds 17! Its great!

Royal-1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Noblesville
    If you like the feel of your G23 get an aftermarket 9mm barrel and a magazine.

It's more of a mid-size.
    You said you have a G23, then Lone Wolf 9mm barrel will fit perfect and it's like just over $100.00 + the cost of a mag or two. It's a drop in, I have them for all of mine. Love it. shoot 40 or 9. Basically two guns for $140.00 extra Try to find another 9mm for that price, besides a high point aka toaster. ;-)

:rockwoot:

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Everyone has their own favorites. If you like your Glock, you could go with the 26 which is the baby 9mm. After trying a billion guns, I discovered that to tell what I really want I had to actually get out and shoot each one, just handling them in a gun shop doesn't really tell you much about how it is going to perform when you are using it. I settled on two carry 9's that work for me (M&P 9c and a Kahr PM9).

Shoot as many as you can and see what works for YOU. Good luck!

flyboy727

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Evansville area
    I recently went on the search for a compact 9 mm. I prefer 1911 style guns, but i have others.

I have a Glock 26, with pinky extension, love the gun, never fails. But, it is a bit thick. I highly recommend this gun.

I purchased a Taurus 709 slim. Nice gun, manual safety and stainless slide, compact. But, I cannot stand the long trigger pull. The Taurus is up for sale.

I am currently researching the Kahr PM 9. I saw several models of it yesterday when we visited Midwest Gun Exchange. They had just about every model in stock.

The Kahr is very high quality, very compact, nice DOA trigger pull and made in the USA. It holds 6+1,less rounds than a Glock, but very nice compact package.

I think my next 9mm will be the kahr Pm9 or the kahr MK9 (all metal). The Kahr is more expensive, but its nice and compact.

Anyone have any info or comments on the Kahr?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, way too many to list without forgetting a bunch. I would try to handle as many as you can and if possible shoot as many as you can too. Everyone is different and there are a ton of great guns to choose from. Good luck with your decision.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010

Is it caliber or form that you have a problem with??? I see you said that you need more practice and that is telling me you are questioning your ability as much as caliber. If you are using a poor form you may experiance the same thing in a 9 mm too. I guess the thing i would recomend is picking up a copy of Mag Pull's "Art of a Tactical Hand gun" and if you still want a 9mm compact then a good thing to do is stick with a glock since that is what your using now.

Top Bottom