• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Does anyone have any recommendations for what bullet (brand, weight, etc..) I should buy for reloading some ammo for a RRA 16" barrel with a 1:9 twist? I want to get the most accurate components that I can get. Any help is appreciated.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have a DPMS Bull Sweet 16 and can easily shoot 1" at a hundo with a 69grn Sierra Match King bullet pushed by Win 748 powder Win primer and used Rem brass.

I am still in the progress of working up some loads and have some 68grn Hornady match to try out and other powders like Varget and Benchmark.

The best I got with Rem yellow box 55grn stuff was like a 4" shot gun pattern. Hand loads make a world of differance. I would try some kind of match rounds on the heavier side.

If you are hunting try the Barnes TSX or Win Power point. I did manage to whack some hogs with my Sierra loads with no problems down in FL.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I've had good success with the 55 grain Hornady PSP #2265 for accurate, general shooting loads. My most accurate 1/9 bullet is the 52 grain Sierra MatchKing #1410 HPBT. My 16" barrel is not chrome lined so your results may not be the same.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Does anyone have any recommendations for what bullet (brand, weight, etc..) I should buy for reloading some ammo for a RRA 16" barrel with a 1:9 twist? I want to get the most accurate components that I can get. Any help is appreciated.
    Well, I would say that anything from 52 - 69 grains should stabilize well with the 1:9 twist rate. JMHO.:popcorn:

Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    OK, thanks for the help. I do have a follow up question. I have a friend that shoots 77gr in his RRA AR, and he swears by it. What do you guys think of this? I checked at a gun shop the other day and I was told that if I wanted to shoot this in an AR, I might not be able to shoot 77gr because the heavier bullet would make the overall case length too long to function properly. Is this true?

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Yes you can load 77 grainers in a case and run it in an AR. I use Sierra 77s with the canilure. Whether or not they will run well in your 1-9 is something you will have to try in yours. Sierra says they are for 7-8" twist barrels.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Like Cerberus said, the 77gr SMKs are fine (and common) for ARs and AR mags. The problem you may run into comes from the bullet length vs your barrel twist. Generally speaking, 1:7 or 1:8 barrels are required to properly stabilize those bullets (as well as some of the lighter solid copper bullets) although individual experiences do vary.

Does your friend have a stainless barrel? RRA uses 1:9 for most of their CM barrels while 1:8 is pretty common in their stainless barrels.

Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Like Cerberus said, the 77gr SMKs are fine (and common) for ARs and AR mags. The problem you may run into comes from the bullet length vs your barrel twist. Generally speaking, 1:7 or 1:8 barrels are required to properly stabilize those bullets (as well as some of the lighter solid copper bullets) although individual experiences do vary.

Does your friend have a stainless barrel? RRA uses 1:9 for most of their CM barrels while 1:8 is pretty common in their stainless barrels.
    My 1:9 is a CM barrel, I'll have to follow up with him and see what he has.:dunno:

Top Bottom