• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Just picked up a 10.5" 300BLK upper for my AR pistol and would like to work up a good Hunting load for this fall's deer season. I will be suppressing (pending stamp approval) the round but would like information on what works best with different bullet weights, fps, super/sub and effective yardage for such.

I see a common factory round as 110 Barnes for hunting? Is this the general consensus or what have you guys found.
    Has anybody used 150gr bullets for deer hunting? I have several hundred Hornady SSTs on hand which would be nice to use if able (I'm thinking the speeds will not be adequate for hunting use).
    If you could provide your powder of choice that would also be beneficial. I would like to start up with some H110 but willing to try other powders also.
    Thanks all.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip gives good terminal performance at a MV of around 2,400fps. I'm not sure if you can achieve that from a 300BLK pistol barrel.

In my opinion, and from more than a few guys who have learned the hard way, the 300BLK isn't a "good" deer hunting cartridge. With Indiana opening up the regs to rounds such as the 30/30, 300 Savage, 308 Winchester and 30-'06, in rifle-length barrels, I'm puzzled why a good number of folks seem intent on using the 300BLK for deer hunting. Keep the range down to around 50 yards, or less, and I suppose it will be OK. As for me, I'm looking forward to being able to take shots from 20-200 yards, with complete confidence in my rifle and cartridge.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    The 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip gives good terminal performance at a MV of around 2,400fps. I'm not sure if you can achieve that from a 300BLK pistol barrel.

In my opinion, and from more than a few guys who have learned the hard way, the 300BLK isn't a "good" deer hunting cartridge. With Indiana opening up the regs to rounds such as the 30/30, 300 Savage, 308 Winchester and 30-'06, in rifle-length barrels, I'm puzzled why a good number of folks seem intent on using the 300BLK for deer hunting. Keep the range down to around 50 yards, or less, and I suppose it will be OK. As for me, I'm looking forward to being able to take shots from 20-200 yards, with complete confidence in my rifle and cartridge.

Because it is more than adequate for taking whitetail at any distance we typically see in Indiana for an ethical shot. It's being shot from a VERY versatile platform. And it really only involves getting another AR15 upper receiver. 50 yards or less? Are you kidding? It's effective to at least 150, and probably further...but then shot placement and bullet drop become issues. I think you need to rethink the game unless you are hunting a property with regular 600yd shot opportunities...which IMO are pretty scarce here...

I'm running the Barnes 110gr Tac-X. Deals CAN be had on the ammo. If and when I'm out of the 250rds I've got for strictly whitetail, I will probably load Hornady's 110 gr. VMax as Barnes doesn't sell just projectiles.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I am not a hunter yet but I've been into 300blk for a year now. I've done a lot of reading trying to decide which supersonic round to use for hunting and it seems like no one uses the 150gr bullets.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Because it is more than adequate for taking whitetail at any distance we typically see in Indiana for an ethical shot. It's being shot from a VERY versatile platform. And it really only involves getting another AR15 upper receiver. 50 yards or less? Are you kidding? It's effective to at least 150, and probably further...but then shot placement and bullet drop become issues. I think you need to rethink the game unless you are hunting a property with regular 600yd shot opportunities...which IMO are pretty scarce here...

I'm running the Barnes 110gr Tac-X. Deals CAN be had on the ammo. If and when I'm out of the 250rds I've got for strictly whitetail, I will probably load Hornady's 110 gr. VMax as Barnes doesn't sell just projectiles.

Let's just say that you and I have a different definition of what "more than adequate" means. The Barnes bullets are probably the best choice for the job, but if you look at the ballistics data on this cartridge, even the best bullets are going to have limitations. Keep in mind that I've hunted with a 30 Herrett and was shooting the 300 Whisper about 25 years ago, so I know what these rounds firing light-for-caliber bullets are capable of...but I also know they have their limitations.

For the record: Due to the huge number of corn and bean fields, Indiana absolutely abounds with 600 yard shot opportunities. I see them every season, but would never take one unless it was on an animal that had already been wounded. I would put a lethal limit of maybe 125 yards on a 300BLK pistol...with the right load. Heck, that's probably true with a 16" barrel.

According to this Hornady data, their 110gr load drops to around 1,500fps and less than 600 ft/lbs of energy (widely regarded as a minimum for light-skinned medium game) at 150 yards. To put this in perspective, the anemic old 30/30 has more velocity and energy AT 200 YARDS, than the 300 BLK has at the muzzle.

http://www.paragonpride.com/forum/data/attachments/2/2869-c485f6fc6ef302b401faa317b3fe7f36.jpg

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Barnes absolutely sells projectiles. They've been doing it for a long time. It's only recently they've started selling ammo.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    According to this Hornady data, their 110gr load drops to around 1,500fps and less than 600 ft/lbs of energy (widely regarded as a minimum for light-skinned medium game) at 150 yards. To put this in perspective, the anemic old 30/30 has more velocity and energy AT 200 YARDS, than the 300 BLK has at the muzzle.

http://www.paragonpride.com/forum/data/attachments/2/2869-c485f6fc6ef302b401faa317b3fe7f36.jpg

That chart is based on a 6.75" barrel. Hornady load data on a 16" barrel has starting loads at 2000fps and they go up to 2400fps. The factory loaded 110 vmax you can buy states 2350fps. I'm sure the anemic old 30/30 looks just as bad with a comparable barrel length.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have hand loaded 125 and some 150 grain pills over IMR4227. Worked my way up to best accuracy load.

Fired them through a 16" tube from close in out to 150 yards. Both were very accurate with minimal drop. Hit steel hard and blew up water jugs. Sure it would drop a deer with no problems. I am loading them for hog blasting.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That chart is based on a 6.75" barrel. Hornady load data on a 16" barrel has starting loads at 2000fps and they go up to 2400fps. The factory loaded 110 vmax you can buy states 2350fps. I'm sure the anemic old 30/30 looks just as bad with a comparable barrel length.

Nope, the 30/30 can drive a 170gr bullet about as fast as the best 110gr loads from the 300BLK. I'm not saying the 300BLK shouldn't be used for big game, but compared to even the most anemic old rounds, like the 30/30, the 300BLK is simply not very powerful. How could it be when it's fired from a case originally intended to shoot .224" bullets at varmints?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Nope, the 30/30 can drive a 170gr bullet about as fast as the best 110gr loads from the 300BLK. I'm not saying the 300BLK shouldn't be used for big game, but compared to even the most anemic old rounds, like the 30/30, the 300BLK is simply not very powerful. How could it be when it's fired from a case originally intended to shoot .224" bullets at varmints?

Your ignorance is showing...

what's the drop on your 30-30 at 300 yards? And the decrease in velocity? And your "energy" loss?

300 blackout maintains velocity and energy much better than 3030, regardless of what your data book is telling you. At 250 yards, it retains half of it's energy. Blackout hits the 50% energy mark at around 300 yds. Bullet drop on 3030 at 250yds is a little over 2 ft. For a blackout, it's about 1.5ft.

You keep saying 3030 is all that, but "that" is definitely up to interpretation.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Your ignorance is showing...

what's the drop on your 30-30 at 300 yards? And the decrease in velocity? And your "energy" loss?

300 blackout maintains velocity and energy much better than 3030, regardless of what your data book is telling you. At 250 yards, it retains half of it's energy. Blackout hits the 50% energy mark at around 300 yds. Bullet drop on 3030 at 250yds is a little over 2 ft. For a blackout, it's about 1.5ft.

You keep saying 3030 is all that, but "that" is definitely up to interpretation.

You really don't want to go down that road, T. :)

The numbers do not lie, and we can really get into the nitty gritty, if you want, but the 300BLK is to the 30/30, as the 30/30 is to the 308. Frankly, the ONLY way the 300BLK is even suitable for hunting big game at relatively short distances is by using one of a select few bullets designed for the low velocity it achieves. If you want to have THAT discussion, I'll mention that the 160 FTX and the 140gr Monoflex provide levels of performance the 300BLK can't even BEGIN to achieve.

I've been big game hunting for 35 years, reloading for almost 30, and have studied cartridges/ballistics in a way that very few can claim. So, if you want to break things down and "do the math", we can...just don't be disappointed when my "ignorance" isn't quite what you thought. ;)

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You really don't want to go down that road, T. :)

The numbers do not lie, and we can really get into the nitty gritty, if you want, but the 300BLK is to the 30/30, as the 30/30 is to the 308. Frankly, the ONLY way the 300BLK is even suitable for hunting big game at relatively short distances is by using one of a select few bullets designed for the low velocity it achieves. If you want to have THAT discussion, I'll mention that the 160 FTX and the 140gr Monoflex provide levels of performance the 300BLK can't even BEGIN to achieve.

I've been big game hunting for 35 years, reloading for almost 30, and have studied cartridges/ballistics in a way that very few can claim. So, if you want to break things down and "do the math", we can...just don't be disappointed when my "ignorance" isn't quite what you thought. ;)

You're using general load data from Hornady's site for a Barnes projectile. I'm using general run of the mill 30-30 data. Holdover on 30-30 is just about 24" at 250? 300blk is what, 18". Comparing apples to oranges is only going to get you to drink sour juice.

You asked why. You got an answer. You tried to **** on my answer. You don't like it. Tough. The data IMO doesn't mean jack **** for shooting inside 150 yds. Also, I don't see many free floated 3030's, nor are they as light as my 300blk. Nor are they freefloated. Or cheap. Or anything that remotely seems interesting to me. I can hunt with 300 blk pistol on public property, and with my rifle on private...

Yes, 30-30 has more case capacity. chamber pressures are fairly similar due to burn rates. You have similar bullet weights, yes...but blackout maintains velocity longer, and shoots shorter distances, but flatter.

This is like 9mm vs. 45acp...pointless. People kill deer with 22. It's all about shot placement. I'm sorry you feel you need to blow through both shoulders to compensate...

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    So, if the data doesn't mean jack (expletive) for shooting inside 150 yards, why are you talking about ballistics at 250? (If you're keeping shots inside 150, then you actually AGREE WITH ME on the effective range?)

I didn't (expletive) on your answer, I just let you know that if you want to get into the details of how these cartridges compare, from a ballistics standpoint, I can do that...but you will not be pleased with the outcome.

I've been shooting and hunting with a 30 Herrett, fired out of a 10" Contender barrel, for close to 20 years...way longer than the 300BLK has been around. I know all about picking the right bullet and limiting the range of shots taken on game. I'm still objective enough to recognize the 300BLK for what it is...and what it isn't.

I've got a 100 yard range behind my house. You bring your 300BLK and I'll shoot my 30 Herrett or 30/30 Winchester. We'll set up the chronograph and have a grand ol' time! :)

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    No thanks. I'm not agreeing with you at all. You said 300 blk is ineffective, I called your bull****. You can type expletive all you want. Doesn't matter. You are back pedaling. /end

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Just picked up a 10.5" 300BLK upper for my AR pistol and would like to work up a good Hunting load for this fall's deer season. I will be suppressing (pending stamp approval) the round but would like information on what works best with different bullet weights, fps, super/sub and effective yardage for such.

I see a common factory round as 110 Barnes for hunting? Is this the general consensus or what have you guys found.
    Has anybody used 150gr bullets for deer hunting? I have several hundred Hornady SSTs on hand which would be nice to use if able (I'm thinking the speeds will not be adequate for hunting use).
    If you could provide your powder of choice that would also be beneficial. I would like to start up with some H110 but willing to try other powders also.
    Thanks all.

I assume that your short barrel will be legal, because it is a "pistol" right? Also, since it is a "pistol", which was previously a legal caliber are you still restricted to 10 rounds on your person? I have an 8.5" 300 blk pistol too, but my deer gun this year is going to be a 16" Noveske 300 blk rifle, which will replace my 458. I am going to look this up, but I feel like I keep reading that you don't gain much from your powder in 300 blk past 9", so I am not sure it matters that much to your velocity. I went 16", for legality obviously, because I want a butt stock on my hunting rifle if I am going to make any shots longer than 100 yards.

I guess I would think that the 300 blk may NOT be considered a "good" deer hunting cartridge, but it sure seems like a lot of hunters are having great success with it. I have a friend who hunts deer and antelope out west with 223, so I don't see how 300 blk is inappropriate as long as you have a realistic view of it's limitations. Unlike with my rifled shotgun or my 458, I feel like shot choice/placement will be more critical. What I really look forward to is carrying a nicely balanced rifle with low recoil, relatively flat trajectory, and a usable range totally up to anything I need. I have a 300 WSM as well, but I was told that I cannot use "high powered rifles" on the property which I hunt.

Anyhow, I have ladders worked up with the 110 Barnes Tac-TX and 110 Hornady Vmax. I chose w296 and Lil gun for powders. I have 1680, vv N110, 5744, but it seemed like you could get higher velocity on the 110s from w296 and Lil Gun. I am saving my 1680 for subsonic, as I only have 3 lbs.

Top Bottom