• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    I would like to invite everyone to attend the Red Brush Rifle Range Steel Challenge match just east of Evansville, IN. This match is sanctioned by the Steel Challenge Shooting Association and hosted by the Indiana Practical Pistol Shooters. The match is open to the public and starts at 10:00 AM on the 2nd Sunday of each month April through October. The cost is $5 per adult shooter and juniors under 18 shoot for free. There are divisions for just about any pistol, as well as .22 rimfire rifle. Targets are all steel ranging from 8 inch round to 18x24 rectangle. This is an extremely fun match to shoot and it is a good way to introduce firearm enthusiasts to the shooting sports. I have listed all the particulars below. More info and directions to the range can be found at Red Brush Rifle Range

I hope to see you there!

Red Brush Steel Challenge

Match name: Steel Challenge, hosted by the Indiana Practical Pistol Shooters.

Location: Red Brush Rifle Range (just east of Evansville, IN)
    3299 West Eble Road
    Newburgh, IN 47630

Schedule: 2nd Sunday of the month April through October.
    Signup starts at 9:30am.
    New Shooter Meeting starts at 9:45am.
    Match starts at 10:00am.

Cost: $5 per adult shooter. Juniors under 18 shoot for free.

Firearms used: Divisions for virtually all handguns, including .22LR open & limited, single & double-action revolvers, open & limited centerfire pistols. There is also a division for .22LR carbine rifle.

Usual number of rounds needed: At least 100 rounds if you never miss. [I would bring extra!]

Other equipment needed: Eye and ear protection is required for everyone. Holster, belt, mag pouches for centerfire guns. Just extra mags for .22LR (shot from low-ready position so no holster needed for .22s).

Targets: All steel. 8", 10", and 12" round plates, 18"×24" rectangles.

Format: All-steel match run according to Steel Challenge Shooting Association rules. With a few exceptions, courses of fire consist of 5 non-reactive steel plates, one of which is a designated stop plate. Each shooter will shoot each stage 5 times, with the best 4 runs counting for score. Missed plates or late shots incur a 3 second penalty each. The match will generally consist of 4 such stages. Since there is no steel to reset, stages run quickly with squads simply needing to put fresh paint on the targets between shooters (and pick up brass if desired).

Prizes: Bragging rights for the month.

More information and directions to the range can be found at Red Brush Rifle Range

Last edited:

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    The first RBRR Steel Challenge match of the season is this coming Sunday April 12, 2015. The courses this month will most likely be somewhat short range due to the wet weather making the range fairly soggy once you get beyond the graveled areas. This means the match will likely progress fairly quickly. Come out and give it your best shot!

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    We had a great turnout for the first RBRR Steel Challenge match of the season. The weather could not have been any better. We shot 4 stages at short range due to the soggy condition of the range out past the graveled areas. I hope everyone had as much fun as I did!

PS... If you put a legible email address on your score sheet then the results will be emailed to you as soon as they are tallied. You can otherwise read the results on the RBRR web site when they are posted. Red Brush Rifle Range

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    This Sunday, May 10th will be our annual Mother’s Day Steel Challenge match. All Ladies will shoot for free. Juniors (under 18) always shoot for free. All others are only $5 per shooter.

Registration at 9am, new shooters meeting 9:30am, match starts at 10am, and we are usually done by 2pm.

This match is lots of fun yet not overwhelming to a novice shooter. Come out and give it a try.

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    Will you be using any of the SCSA steel challenge layouts ? Can a participant shoot more
    than one gun.
    Thanks brian

Brian,
    First of all, thanks for your interest in the match!

We usually run 4 stages or sometimes 5 stages. At least 2 of the stages are always official SCSA stages. We tend to freestyle the remainder of the stages. However, if you wish to shoot more than 2 official SCSA stages we encourage you to come help us set up starting at 8am, as everyone helping out has a say in how the stages are set up. You would be welcome to voice your opinion on how many official stages are set up as well as which ones are used.

As for entering more than one gun, this is sometimes allowed and sometimes not depending on the expected turn out size and the expected time to shoot each course. If the courses are of the far distance variety and/or judged to take additional time to shoot than normal then you would most likely be limited to one gun entry. If a smaller crowd is expected and/or the targets are up close and judged able to be shot quickly then a second gun entry may be possible. This decision would most likely not be made until the day of the match. You are welcome to contact the match director for clarification. His contact info is on the RBRR website.
    Red Brush Rifle Range » Steel Challenge

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    We had a really good turnout for the Mothers Day Steel Challenge match at RBRR. Despite some dire looking skies in the morning we got only a couple of very light sprinkles that lasted a few minutes, once while the sun was fully shining. We shot two official SCSA stages and two somewhat creative freestyle stages that were really fun to shoot. We had several new shooters to the match which is always good to see.

Thanks for attending and I hope that you will join us again next month!

PS... If you put a legible email address on your score sheet, or if your email address is already on the mailing list, then the results will be emailed to you as soon as they are tallied. You can otherwise read the results on the RBRR web site once they are posted.

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    The results / scores for the Mothers Day Steel Challenge match at RBRR have been emailed and posted on the website. If you provided an email address on your score sheet and did not get the results emailed to you then your email address was not legible. Please write it more clearly on your next score sheet and then show it to someone to see if they can read it back to you correctly. If you did receive the email then you are subscribed to the mailing list and will not need to provide your email address again unless you first choose to unsubscribe for any reason.

Red Brush Rifle Range » Steel Challenge Results

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    Many thanks to all the shooters who came to the June Steel Challenge match at RBRR. The results / scores have been emailed and posted on the website. If you provided an email address on your score sheet and did not get the results emailed to you then your email address was not legible. Please write it more clearly on your next score sheet and then show it to someone to see if they can read it back to you correctly. If you did receive the email then you are subscribed to the mailing list and will not need to provide your email address again unless you first choose to unsubscribe for any reason.

As a side note, the scores were delayed from being posted due to poor penmanship and some people not circling their division/holster/age status on their score sheets. Be sure to fill in all of the necessary information. If in doubt about what to circle then ask the person at the sign up desk and they will be happy to help you out. Again, you might then show your score sheet to someone you don't know and see if they can read it back to you.

Red Brush Rifle Range » Steel Challenge Results

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    The distance to each target will range between 7 yards and 35 yards depending on how the stage is set up. As mentioned above, at least 2 of the stages are always official Steel Challenge Shooting Association stages. We tend to freestyle the remainder of the stages. You do not have to make a bullseye on the targets. If you so much as scratch the paint on a target then it is counted as a hit. Shots to the target stand do not count as a hit.

As for equipment:

Everyone needs eye and ear protection, including any spectators.
    Centerfire pistol of any kind must be drawn from a holster if you do not want a 3 second penalty added to each string of fire. If you are not comfortable drawing from a holster then take the penalty instead.
    Rimfire does not require a holster and instead is started from a low ready position pointing at a flag.
    Five magazines for your firearm is best. You can get by with two or more magazines if you have someone to load empty magazines as you shoot. The closer that you can get to five magazines the better.
    A mag pouch is useful but not required.
    You will need to holster or bag your firearm immediately after shooting each stage and it must remain there until it is your turn to shoot. (COLD RANGE!)
    125 rounds of ammo is required for a five stage match if you never miss a target. I would suggest bringing plenty of extra ammo because it is inevitable that everyone will miss some targets.

Additional info concerning Steel Challenge Shooting Association rules, stages, procedures and such can be found at
    Steel Challenge Shooting Association Home Page - US Practical Shooting Assocation

The next Steel Challenge match at RBRR will be Sunday July 12, 2015. It is always a fun time and I hope you will come shoot with us.

Last edited:

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    The next Steel Challenge at Red Brush Rifle Range is tomorrow, Sunday 9/13/2015. The weather is supposed to be cool with no chance of rain. It should make for a great day to come out and shoot the match. I hope to see you there!

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    Fun shoot in Great weather, thanks redbrush

Yes, the weather was absolutely fabulous for a day of shooting steel. I hope you had as much fun as I did!

Sorry for my mix up on thinking the plan that I used on bay one was an official SCSA stage! I simply looked through the book of stages and picked out one that I had never seen. If the match director had not been working at the hospital today then I am sure he would have told me that I had never seen that stage because it was not an official SCSA stage. Why that plan was in the book is beyond my comprehension but I will take full responsibility for setting it up!

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    The last RBRR Steel Challenge match of the season will be held on Sunday October 11. We will be implementing an electronic scoring system using PractiScore software. This will result in shooters getting the scores sent to their email almost immediately after the match. Since this is the first time that we are using this system we have made this a private match, which means it will not show up on the PractiScore website but will give us a chance to use the system and get a better understanding of how it works. If you wish to pre-register online then contact me privately and I will send you the link to sign up and choose a squad. You can also register on match day at the range.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom