• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Anyone have a preference as to the chepar non solar option with just the dot and or the MRS multiple reticle solar version for a little more money?
    I think I'd just use a 2 MOS dot so the other reticle options don't appeal to me. However, if it has auto brightness that may be nice but I've never tried it on a Holosun (just the RMR which I like). The failsafe dot works in the sun without a battery is nice but also seems like it could be a fail point over a non-solar model more than battery.

Save the money or spring for the solar/MRS? What's everyone's opinion?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Anyone have a preference as to the chepar non solar option with just the dot and or the MRS multiple reticle solar version for a little more money?
    I think I'd just use a 2 MOS dot so the other reticle options don't appeal to me. However, if it has auto brightness that may be nice but I've never tried it on a Holosun (just the RMR which I like). The failsafe dot works in the sun without a battery is nice but also seems like it could be a fail point over a non-solar model more than battery.

I must have misunderstood your question in the other thread. I picked the non solar model because I wanted the 6 MOA dot and that was how to get it. If you like 2 MOA I would probably go with the MRS.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I must have misunderstood your question in the other thread. I picked the non solar model because I wanted the 6 MOA dot and that was how to get it. If you like 2 MOA I would probably go with the MRS.
    It's okay, thanks! You can get both in 6 or 2 MOA. It obviously isn't for duty use, probably over thinking it. Just wondered if there was any reason to spend more for the features of solar fail safe or auto brightness.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I would avoid auto brightness. Their merits far outweigh the many documented issues they have. Adjustable LED only, find a brightness that works fine for you in most situations, then you can always adjust. Any serious instructor will tell you the same. We probably aren’t far from autobrightness being trustworthy, but the tech is only starting to get there. The Holosun 507c/k are excellent budget choices, but other than Holosun, I would only stick with RMR, DPP, Acro and similar “duty grade”. Holosun has brought forth an excellent product that competes well with duty optics, but I don’t feel any other “budget” options like Swampfox or Sig have come close in terms of durability. With the battery life of many of the choices, set an alert on your phone to change batteries far before they need it. Solar is a nice feature to have, but redundant. I prefer 1-3 moa dot size for both handgun and rifle.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks goodcat. Yeah, EPS carry is what I'll buy. I figure with how it's priced vs the open emitter there isn't any reason not to and it's going on a small little pistol so RMR, ACRO etc. (full sized) aren't really options. Thanks again.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I'm guessing on the eye physiology here but here is my opinion the reason I notice more starburst from astigmatism with a smaller dot. To get a smaller dot to APPEAR to be the same brightness and pick it up as fast, it is actually emitting more light per surface area. A bigger dot can be less intense for equal feeling effectiveness to the eye/brain.
    With astigmatism in general it seems that the starburst effect increases with light intensity more than any other factor.

I was teaching a class yesterday and a gentleman had an old Trijicon ACOG 1X24 on his rifle with a 6.5 MOA dot. It didn't occur to me at the time, but I did see it as perfectly round when we were inside and I was looking through it. It was really dim, though, and may partially have been why... it was also amber in color.

jjohnson878

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    i like the burris fast fire 3, on for 8 hrs and you swap the battery from the top so no having to rezero, its rugget and wont break the bank, plus the doctor footprint is shared by a lot of other optics
    sd9.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I guess I am sorta the opposite of you. I still prefer open emitters, though the the new EPS carry on my 365XL is doing great, mainly because I hate the looks of those giant mailboxes that most of the closed emitters are. I know style shouldn't matter. The other thing I don't like about the Acro and Steiner is compared to the size of the optic, the window is small. I also prefer larger dots. For me they are normally clearer and less likely to be mistaken if they get ghosting from the sun. That chevron on the ACCS does a good job of resisting washout but I guess because I am used to round dots from the last 13 years of using them, it just doesn't have that balance of speed and accuracy for me.
    Resurrecting this one a bit.

I've got a couple of 407k optics (one is on a 365xl and one is on a tx-22 compact).

I carry a 365x config gun now that doesn't have an optic cut, but recently picked up a 365x with optic cut. Contemplating the EPS carry for that gun instead of a 407k due to tremendous amount of lint, etc I tend to get on/in my carry gun.

How are you (and others) liking the EPS carry?

Does anyone have experience with both the EPS carry and the 407k? If so, how do they compare (other than one has an open and the other a closed emitter)? Would it be a big adjustment going from one to the other regularly?

Thanks all

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    i like the burris fast fire 3, on for 8 hrs and you swap the battery from the top so no having to rezero, its rugget and wont break the bank, plus the doctor footprint is shared by a lot of other optics
    View attachment 287263
    I had a Burris FastFire for awhile, but didn't like the battery compartment because it was easy to cross-thread.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've always had a pretty bad astigmatism - it almost kept me out of flight school in 1970 - but in recent years it had all but precluded me from using iron sights on either pistols or rifles. Had cataract surgery in the late spring & couldn't believe how much the optional toroidal lenses cleared up my vision.

Still like my red dot sights, though . . .

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Resurrecting this one a bit.

I've got a couple of 407k optics (one is on a 365xl and one is on a tx-22 compact).

I carry a 365x config gun now that doesn't have an optic cut, but recently picked up a 365x with optic cut. Contemplating the EPS carry for that gun instead of a 407k due to tremendous amount of lint, etc I tend to get on/in my carry gun.

How are you (and others) liking the EPS carry?

Does anyone have experience with both the EPS carry and the 407k? If so, how do they compare (other than one has an open and the other a closed emitter)? Would it be a big adjustment going from one to the other regularly?

Thanks all
    I am liking the EPS Carry enough that I just ordered another to put on my Canik MC9. I don't notice a lot of difference between it and the K models as far as shoot ability. Due to its small outer footprint I don't feel like I am giving up any concealment but am gaining the water and dirt resistant benefits.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I am liking the EPS Carry enough that I just ordered another to put on my Canik MC9. I don't notice a lot of difference between it and the K models as far as shoot ability. Due to its small outer footprint I don't feel like I am giving up any concealment but am gaining the water and dirt resistant benefits.
    Cool, thanks for the info.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    PXL_20230914_224808467.MP.jpg

PXL_20230914_224720173.MP.jpg

morve80

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Speedway
    I'm trying to get a s&w equalizer for the wife. She likes her pc 380 ez, but wanted an optic. So it seems best of both worlds. Anywho, her's will mostly be a gun for at home, if she would happen to carry it would be in her purse. I'm a huge Holosun fan,she likes mine. I've read here the eps carry is closed and the 507k is open. But eps carry is also more expensive. Should I just get her a 507k or should I get her the eps carry? Is this a buy once cry once situation? I'm torn.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm trying to get a s&w equalizer for the wife. She likes her pc 380 ez, but wanted an optic. So it seems best of both worlds. Anywho, her's will mostly be a gun for at home, if she would happen to carry it would be in her purse. I'm a huge Holosun fan,she likes mine. I've read here the eps carry is closed and the 507k is open. But eps carry is also more expensive. Should I just get her a 507k or should I get her the eps carry? Is this a buy once cry once situation? I'm torn.

I like the closed emitter way better. Keeping it clean is like night and day. You don't have to do much to dirty up your glass with the funnel the open emitters form. Dead skin, clothes lint, let alone any kind of dusty environment builds up fast.

I haven't tried the EPS carry, but my 509T is great, but for one thing. The mailbox-like profile in line with the longer grip of the G45, make for a harder to conceal pistol. It has to be just right to keep from bulging my T-shirt or running it into things.

I'm hoping to try the MRS version (required) of the EPS carry one day

Last edited:

morve80

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Speedway
    I have the 508t in green. Wish I would have just gotten the 509t. I open carry so mine is always linty fresh.

Relax_36

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 23, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Just picked up an EPS Carry MRS (red) this afternoon for the Shield Plus. Haven't even opened the box yet, probably won't get an opportunity to install it or go to the range and zero it in until this time next week, but I'm looking forward to it for sure.

This is my first RDS purchase, but everything I've read and watched while trying to decide what to buy pointed me in the direction of the EPS Carry. Having tried out the 507K of a friend I really liked the circle dot over just the dot alone, so MRS felt like something I wanted. Being able to use standard-height iron sights was pretty appealing to me, so EPS Carry MRS it is. I have no idea if I'll see the benefits of the enclosed emitter on the EPS Carry as oppossed to an open emitter like on the 407/507, as I've never had any RDS before today, but it sounds like I won't have to worry too much about dust, lint, cleaning, etc on the lens so I don't hate that.

Figure I'd rather run the chance of over-buying on my first RDS as opposed to being left thinking "I wish I would have..." after skimping on some Amazon el-cheapo that I come to regret wasting money on. Reckon I can always sell the EPS and downgrade to something else if I come to realize I bought more than I need.

Still though, something feels terribly wrong about spending almost as much on the optic as what I'm mounting it on haha :crying:

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just wish like hell Holosun would build a closed emitter dot sight that goes right on the Glock MOS slide without an adapter plate. Until then it’s the SCS.

Top Bottom