• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Thus far in my sheltered life, from an optics perspective, my experience has been limited to red dots and scopes. Recently, SIG had their Juliet3 Micro on sale, so I jumped at the opportunity to try out a magnifier behind a Romeo5 I had laying around.

Long story short, was working with the setup on Saturday at 50 yds, and while the red dot was dialed in, by itself, when used with the magnifier, the point of impact shifted up about an 1". Unfortunately, I ran out of time and ammo to diagnose whilst at the range.

Everything seems to be mounted up well, aligned (factory mounts same height above the rail), torqued to spec., etc. Nothing seems too out of whack. So, I'm scratching my head. Any ideas on things I might chase down? :dunno:

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    When using a magnifier you must first zero the dot alone.

Then, add the magnifier and use the adjustments on that unit to zero the magnifier. Do not change the zero on the dot. Adjust the magnifier only.

Here's and excellent video that spells out the process in a little greater detail:

Zeroing a Red Dot Magnifier
    If you have one magnifier that you move across different platforms, would the zero shift?

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    Thanks, never really thought of that.
    3 Eotechs, one magnifier, will have to check that out.

Glad to help.

Honestly, I feel like the magnifier is one of the most poorly explained accessories in the whole gamut of things you can put on a rifle. The companies that manufacture them really did everyone a disservice by doing an incredibly poor job of explaining how they actually function. This has lead to a lot of misinformation and confusion!

Top Bottom