• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I practice with my EDCs regularly on both steel and paper. I am not looking for the front sight per se, I look for the dot but it is always there when I bring up my pistol. My Rami has a 507k with the 32 moa circle and dot. If the target is in the circle, the trigger is pulled. It os definitely a close quarters firearm, but I also practice to 25 yds regularly taking my time using the 2 moa dot. That is where a dot on a short barrel pistol (and a shooter with 67 yo eyes) really help. Not for close quarters encounters.

I have two Holosuns with the circle dot reticles. I like the dots, but the circle dot reticle makes all the difference in quick acquisition. As mentioned, you can always slow down to focus on the center dot for distance/precision.

:)

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I should try one of those reticles. I've got 2 407k's now with the 6moa dots. Looking at the EPS carry for my 365x, but possibly still going with the 6moa dot for consistency, but might change my mind on that once I shoot a different reticle.
    It will be at the FGE

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I have two Holosuns with the circle dot reticles. I like the dots, but the circle dot reticle makes all the difference in quick acquisition. As mentioned, you can always slow down to focus on the center dot for distance/precision.

:)
    As strange as it may seem, I feel I'm more accurate with the 32 MOA circle without the dot. Circle/Dot just is too busy for me and hampers my focus on the target, but as always YMMV.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    What's up everybody,

I ran into a guy that has a red dot on his EDC gun. The gun was a sig of some sort chambered in .45.
    I personally don't like red dots on my carry gun and prefer the iron sights. There is just less to worry about and less weight on your belt. I feel like it could also possibly malfunction when you need it most.

What are your guy's thought on running a red dot on your EDC gun?
    I guess I'm officially old because just yesterday at the range I noticed that my trifocals (you heard me) don't quite cut it for simultaneous front sight and target acquisition. When my gun is on target it is at just the right - or wrong - distance from my eye such that no combination of my lenses can focus on both sight and target together. Other than shooting a pistol my glasses are perfect for me.

My buddies and I talked about it in some detail and red dot is on my list to try.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I guess I'm officially old because just yesterday at the range I noticed that my trifocals (you heard me) don't quite cut it for simultaneous front sight and target acquisition. When my gun is on target it is at just the right - or wrong - distance from my eye such that no combination of my lenses can focus on both sight and target together. Other than shooting a pistol my glasses are perfect for me.

My buddies and I talked about it in some detail and red dot is on my list to try.
    You’re not old if you’re young at heart.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield

I wear progressive lenses and front sight focus requires me tilting my head up a bit. Mas says to get glasses made with the reading grind at the top but for me thats a bit extreme and not useful for everyday wear. Dot for me is a better solution. I will likely put a dot on my last carry pistol with iron sights in the next year (cz pcr).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I wear progressive lenses and front sight focus requires me tilting my head up a bit. Mas says to get glasses made with the reading grind at the top but for me thats a bit extreme and not useful for everyday wear. Dot for me is a better solution. I will likely put a dot on my last carry pistol with iron sights in the next year (cz pcr).
    I've got some shooting glasses that have the magnification at the top. I need them for irons. I wear prescription eyeglasses. That said I can shoot the dot with just my regular sunglasses. As you state, the dot is definitely a better solution IMO.

DirtRoadEvan

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I was skeptical at first . . . Another thing to fail and another battery to keep track of changing violating the KISS principle, but after making the switch I could not go back. I think an often overlooked advantage is being able to focus on the target rather than ths front sight. Even though your periferal vision picks up a lot of things while you are focused on the front site situational awareness seems better which I would think would help in a defensive scenario. Not to mention the ease at which you can make linger range shots with a handgun.

If you are not going to put in the work to nail down your draw stroke so that dot is on target everytime then you are going to have a tough time, but arguably you were probably slow with iron sights also if the sights weren't on target once drawn, just had a better visual reference to adjust. Paying more attention to my draw stroke resulted in me narrowing down the number of grip angles for things that I will actually carry. I've transitioned everything I would carry to glocks where I used to have a sig in the mix not knowing how much switching between the two was hampering the muscel memory of my draw stroke.

RSindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Carmel
    In my opinion, utilizing a red dot on your EDC gun can enhance precision and target acquisition, ensuring quicker and more accurate shots, especially in high-stress situations. With reliable equipment and the benefits of improved accuracy outweigh the potential concerns.

Jarvitron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I carry with a holosun 507k and I find it worth it. I am OK on the draw with a compact or full size pistol but with the sub/micro compacts I struggle with overgrip. The dot helps me roll back to neutral faster.

Top Bottom