• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stchas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Terrible Haute
    Looking for anything anyone might know on this particular RJ AK.

Red Jacket Firearms AK74 Rifle RJ 240 Sons of Guns

My brother has decided he wants to buy it. I think, more so, for the name and nothing else. I searched and found various posts about RJ, but was hoping someone had any info on this specific rifle. It says lifetime warranty so that's a plus but should he just look to add a couple bucks and buy an Arsenal?

According to another forum this particular setup was put together with the sole intention of selling via Atlantic. I guess I just don't want to see him lose his money on something they put together in bulk to sell cheaper than there higher quality rifles.

Appreciate any insight anyone has.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There are some Red Jacket Clones out there, so beware.

I'd get a serial number and call Red jacket Firearms in Baton Rouge, LA to verify if it's their gun first.

JMO,

~TK

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Atlantic is a stand-up company. I wouldn't be concerned that they are selling knock-off RJ guns.

This is basically just a run-of-the-mill Saiga kit installed in a US receiver that accepts hi-caps. The guts of Saiga's are good, and the OP's brother would probably be perfectly happy with it.

If you do a Google Image search of "saiga rifle" you will come up with an identical looking gun, but the receiver doesn't have the mag dimples.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    well for about $200 more you could buy a saiaga that was converted by arsenal for about $800, and not have to deal with with the crap that RJ produces.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Why do people automatically "assume" everyone who is a gun hobbyist is a gunsmith? just sayin :dunno:

That's a good point, but I'm sure it's nothing malicious. I kinda feel the same way on a lot of gun forums. I see guys talking about "I removed the trigger sear and (insert some other part of the gun that I don't know how to remove :): ). But it's all good. I may learn something at some point! :)

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Atlantic is a stand-up company. I wouldn't be concerned that they are selling knock-off RJ guns.

This is basically just a run-of-the-mill Saiga kit installed in a US receiver that accepts hi-caps. The guts of Saiga's are good, and the OP's brother would probably be perfectly happy with it.

If you do a Google Image search of "saiga rifle" you will come up with an identical looking gun, but the receiver doesn't have the mag dimples.

A lot of the information in this post is confusing me.

Why are you saying the RJ rifle posted is built on a US receiver and not the Saiga receiver? From what I can see, that rifle is nothing BUT a Saiga conversion - including the receiver (just look at the two *fake* rivets above the grip... that's clearly from moving the trigger group forward in a Saiga receiver). The Bolt Hold Open tab above the trigger group is also a dead give away that this is a Saiga receiver.

Also, are you saying that Saiga rifles do not have mag well dimples? Because many of them certainly do! In fact, my two Saigas BOTH have the mag well dimples. Admittedly, there were production runs of Saigas that did not have the dimples, but they do not represent ALL saigas.

Maybe I just need a clarification on what you were trying to say? :dunno:

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    well for about $200 more you could buy a saiaga that was converted by arsenal for about $800, and not have to deal with with the crap that RJ produces.
    Do you own or have you owned anything made by Red Jacket? Have you ever shot or even handled anything made by Red Jacket? Not trying to be malicious, just want to know what you are basing your statement off of. I hate their show, but have never heard any complaints about their AK's. The fact that they back them with a lifetime warranty says that they will stand behind their work.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    A lot of the information in this post is confusing me.

Why are you saying the RJ rifle posted is built on a US receiver and not the Saiga receiver? From what I can see, that rifle is nothing BUT a Saiga conversion - including the receiver (just look at the two *fake* rivets above the grip... that's clearly from moving the trigger group forward in a Saiga receiver). The Bolt Hold Open tab above the trigger group is also a dead give away that this is a Saiga receiver.

Also, are you saying that Saiga rifles do not have mag well dimples? Because many of them certainly do! In fact, my two Saigas BOTH have the mag well dimples. Admittedly, there were production runs of Saigas that did not have the dimples, but they do not represent ALL saigas.

Maybe I just need a clarification on what you were trying to say? :dunno:

Sorry, confused Saigas with WASR's. The WASR's come imported with 10-rd magazines and don't need the dimples. Century welds in plates to take the place of the dimples. I assumed because the Saigas come imported with 10 rd mags as well, they wouldn't have the dimples either. Sorry if I am confused or caused confusion. =)

I best go back to the AR threads..... I know a little more about those. =)

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Based on that model, you are paying for a 1/2 converted gun. It still sports the Saiga front end. I'd spring another 100-125 bucks for a SGL-31 from Arsenal.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I'm not sure the exact models that I held but I did hold 2 different Red Jacket AK's at Target World in Cincy a few months ago, one was flat out awesome. I'm still drooling over it I kid you not. The other was older and although not quite as nice still a solid feeling AK. These were around $1200 though so probably not the same style.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Do you own or have you owned anything made by Red Jacket? Have you ever shot or even handled anything made by Red Jacket? Not trying to be malicious, just want to know what you are basing your statement off of. I hate their show, but have never heard any complaints about their AK's. The fact that they back them with a lifetime warranty says that they will stand behind their work.

Bushmaster and several other companies offer a lifetime warranty. in my experience, a lifetime warranty isn't a selling point. Knowing that a company will stand behind their product should be assumed, unfortunately not all companies are that great. RJ is only warrantying their work,as all they did was replace a few pins and parts. They really didn't make anything.

No I have't owned any of their products, nor will I. Their show casts negative attention on firearms. Portrays them as bumbling idiots, does little to actual explain the work of a real rifle builder. T/hey are very hyped, it seldom trust that. Also if they had any real measurable amount of quality, consistency, technical expertise, then I am confident they would have been recommended to me by people that teach, train, or use AK's. They weren't. Arsenal has a solid reputation. Red Jacket doesn't. Especially in this case where they did the bare minimum, and want such a premium, I won't take the risk of it being half done. ( $319 from classic arms, $15 for transfer, $$$ for shipping, $90 for a conversion kit from Kvar, puts you at $450 -$470 for the parts and pieces. The work involved in a conversion could probably be done inexpensively by a reputable smith, and can be done by following online tutorials.

If I ever get a chance to handle their work. I will comment on it in a fair and honest manner. At this point I just ca't see the gain in buying their product. It 's like buying a $900 dollar bushmaster instead of piecing together a $700 BCM Ar-15. ( BCM upper and BCG, Lower of your choice). It just makes no sense.

Top Bottom