• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I was sitting on my deck enjoying the cool weather when I saw a little bunny come screaming across the yard like a bat outta hell making a line for his hole that leads under the deck. Not entirely strange as they do like to play in my yard. A few seconds later, a hawk landed on the lowest tree branch of the back neighbor's about 25 - 30 yards away. He sat there for a few minutes surveying the scene, and then flew over closer to me and landed on my fence to my left. He was about 10 yards away for what must have been 10 minutes. Then the bunny scampered out towards the edge of the deck where I couldn't see him, and a minute or two later the hawk flew down to where I had last seen him (there's another hole there). Then the hawk jumps in the deck railing maybe 7 yards from me and staring dead at me. I stand up and say "Go away!" and he flies over to the other side of the yard and lands on the fence. He takes a dump, and a minute later flies off between the houses to my right.

The neighbors over and back have a couple of Scottish terriers that were running in their fenced yard and I was hoping the hawk wouldn't get big eyes and go after one of them. The hawk looked well fed, so that probably didn't stay in his mind too long.

As I was typing the bunny came hopping around the front of the deck and headed between the houses to the left. I guess he felt the coast was clear. To give meaning to the saying "The best camera in the world is the one you have," here is a slightly zoomed iPhone pic of the hawk on the fence.

OCLoLjA.jpg

I thought it was a pretty cool 20 minutes :yesway:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Very cool that you got that close-up view of the hawk. We get many hawks at work throughout the day (lots of gophers to eat). They are truly amazing to watch when they are hunting and have learned that our mowers scare-up the gophers and send them running making them easy targets.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Looks like I have a pair of them. Two of em are over on the neighbor's privacy fence off to my left, about 30 yards away, squeeking and calling back and forth to each other. Maybe the bunny problem will go away? And now, after typing a sentence, they're gone.

Wonder how long they'll stick around? I'll have to keep the regular camera close by.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Looks like I have a pair of them. Two of em are over on the neighbor's privacy fence off to my left, about 30 yards away, squeeking and calling back and forth to each other. Maybe the bunny problem will go away? And now, after typing a sentence, they're gone.

Wonder how long they'll stick around? I'll have to keep the regular camera close by.

The one in my picture was up their every morning for over four years. They stick around if the hunting is good.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Looks like an adult Coopers to me... lived at the BSU Field Station for a few years, had a nesting pair there. You seeing the second bird makes sense... of course, junior jumping around the yard like a prairie chicken also makes sense, although that bird on your fence is no juvenile Coopers (nor is it a Red Tail of any description).

Did you happen to see its legs? Did it look like it was wearing "pants" or were the legs bare? From behind it's about the right size and markings very similar to a Sharpshin.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Did you happen to see its legs? Did it look like it was wearing "pants" or were the legs bare? From behind it's about the right size and markings very similar to a Sharpshin.

It looked like he had knickerbockers on. Sorta bald around the bottom of his legs, then rather fluffy looking feathers. The legs looked different than Google Images of the Sharpshin Hawk.

Like I say, I don't know much about birds. I do think the birds of prey are sorta cool. I check out the Falcon Cam that the Indy Star has each year, for the past few years anyways, to see the peregrine falcons nesting over Monument Circle.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The other day, while walking the dog, I saw a Cooper's Hawk chasing a flock of birds. They like to eat birds and it is fun to watch their low-level "dog fighting" as they fly between houses.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I haven't seen any kind of hawk all summer. That would be so cool to see one in you own yard. I love birds of prey, they're cool. If I had one around my place... I'd try to feed it with hot dogs or something. Got two dogs who love to chase the squirrels and rabbits. I still get a good nature show every now and then.

Top Bottom