• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Reliability is not the problem, battering is going to be the potential issue.

16 lbs. is about as low as you want to go. That is what I use for a bullseye gun shooting 200 gr. wadcutters going ~720 fps, so that's quite a step down from 230gr. at 830 fps. I don't know at what point you start battering the gun, but I have to think you're there.
    I may end up reloading reduced loads like I do for the 38 special for him. Similar to what you have.

Something like the 6gr Longshot load here.
    Screenshot_20211213-214101_Brave.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Okay thanks.

I found out the recoil spring is 18lbs and the main spring is 23lbs. So if I reduced it to 16lbs would that be to much for recoil spring reduction? And 19lb main spring?
    If you drop the main spring and run cheap or off shore ammo you may have some light primer strikes and you may not.

Just cock the hammer and then cycle it. Try it. You will be surprised.
    AllenM's suggestions are on point as well/. But just try it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If you drop the main spring and run cheap or off shore ammo you may have some light primer strikes and you may not.

Just cock the hammer and then cycle it. Try it. You will be surprised.
    AllenM's suggestions are on point as well/. But just try it.
    Okay I'll work with him and see what we can accomplish.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Bullseye shooters used to carry a cloth roll bag of recoil springs in 1 pound differences and carefully select the spring to match the ammo for different matches. I think the bottom spring was maybe 12 lb. For 25 foot indoor the ammo would be so light you hardly needed earmuffs. Light, cast semi wadcutters were the norm. That worked for them because they shot very specific ammo and they had already matched up the color coded springs, and kept meticulous records. If you are not doing that, I would avoid anything radical to avoid battering up your frame.

Franc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2021
    Fishers, IN
    I would try not to go below 15lbs on the recoil spring with those loads.
    Another thing that will make it easier to rack is drop the main spring to 19 lbs stock is 23 in most 1911.
    You can also contour the firing pin stop to allow the hammer to cock easier and that will help.

If he cocks the hammer before trying to rack it that will make it easier too
    I second this. Cocking the hammer is a major part of resistance in slide racking. If you precock the hammer, then the slide will be much easier to rack. Of course the gun has to allow slide racking with the safety on, otherwise it will not feel safe.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Hope this helps…. I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure…. To light of a spring is no good but this is doable I believe… I hope. Kudos for taking care of your Dad !!!

That's pretty neat.

We tried several times with the hammer cocked. He almost got it done but just a little to much for him so I'm going to try the 16lb recoil spring. It might be light enough for him to work the slide. The original I found out is 18lbs. So 16lb spring should reduce it enough for him. He doesn't shoot a whole lot anymore so I'm sure it will be fine. I'll keep the 18lb spring in my growing 1911 parts box.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    That's pretty neat.

We tried several times with the hammer cocked. He almost got it done but just a little to much for him so I'm going to try the 16lb recoil spring. It might be light enough for him to work the slide. The original I found out is 18lbs. So 16lb spring should reduce it enough for him. He doesn't shoot a whole lot anymore so I'm sure it will be fine. I'll keep the 18lb spring in my growing 1911 parts box

Keep in mind that is always not how hard it is to rack rather learning the proper technique to rack even the hardest slide.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Nope to the video. Some is right but dude isn’t doing it the best way IMHO. Angle of hold. Strong hand index finger. Etc. it is a hard thing to illustrate but easier to teach one on one. It is like loading mags. If you never have had to learn the easy way to do it, then you will always need a mag loader.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Nope to the video. Some is right but dude isn’t doing it the best way IMHO. Angle of hold. Strong hand index finger. Etc. it is a hard thing to illustrate but easier to teach one on one. It is like loading mags. If you never have had to learn the easy way to do it, then you will always need a mag loader.
    I told him to put his thumb on it in a pinch but the thumb is facing the body and push it back. If you understand where I am coming from. Similar to the video but not quite the same.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I put a lower weight recoil and hammer spring in one for my wife and loaded up some powder puff rounds 185gr and 5.0 bullseye doesn't hammer the gun feeds and extracts just fine and brass lands just off to side real close, heck i been shooting these myself cause brass is easier to pick up. recoil spring was 16 pound can't remember right off what hammer spring is?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I agree, there is still a better way to do it. I've thought about trying to describe the way I teach it and was taught to me by John Farnam but not sure I could explain it well enough through text, even though it's a fairly simple procedure.

Top Bottom