• ...and so much more!
  • Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    This pretty much says it all;

“Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.”
    George Washington
    First President of the United States

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    This teacher is a perfect example of why your daughter needs private school education, not government indoctrination.

She hasn't been in public school all this time. Was in private school until 3 years ago when the school went charter. However, the fact remains that she is pro-constitutionalist :patriot: in spite of many of her teachers over the years being far-left loons. She has taken a strong pro 2A approach to this paper and her teacher has been upset because so few students in the class have taken a pro gun control position.

The teacher has continued to lobby for her anti-gun position and today told them "no one wants to take guns away from people with these laws, only the semi-automatic ones that have a bullet ready to fire". Cracks me up.

I am very proud of my daughter and will post the PowerPoint tomorrow morning when she turns it in.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Be sure to let us know how she does.

When I took history in college I wrote a paper outlining some of the myths surrounding Lincoln and the facts of the "Civil" War. Stuff that would have made a liberal's hair turn white - ways in which Lincoln violated the Constitution, U.S. Grant's support of slavery, why it really wasn't a "Civil" War. Got an A. I'd say surprisingly but sometimes it's a good thing to go to a conservative Christian college.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I am curious how it turns out.

Fwiw I am married to a mostly conservative public education teacher. I remember when she was forced to teach evolution and the kids raised hell(fairly religious inner city youths) she told them 'I don't agree withit but I am forced to teach it).

Not all of them are bad

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Here is my wonderful daughter's presentation in outline form. (couldn't figure out a quick way to link the powerpoint). I am very proud of her for sticking with it. Remember she is 13!

Thanks in part to INGO members and their contributions in this thread she has half a ream of back up statistics, quotes and supporting documentation.

™[FONT=&quot]Gun Control![/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Civil rights vs. government[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]The 2[/FONT][FONT=&quot]nd[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Amendment[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Let me break down the amendment for you.[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Let’s start at the beginning. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]What does militia mean?[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]A militia is any able bodied citizen, it is not a standing army[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]George Mason defined the militia as “[/FONT][FONT=&quot]It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]George Mason is referred to as “the father of the United [/FONT][FONT=&quot]S[/FONT][FONT=&quot]tates Bill of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]R[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ights”[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]So in short the whole people need to protect their state[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]The 2[/FONT][FONT=&quot]nd[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Amendment [/FONT][FONT=&quot]C[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ontinued[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]this section is pretty self explanatory[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Now put it all together.[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]So all in all it means the citizens need to protect their states and that their civil right to keep and bear arms should not be taken away or trifled with in any way[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Wisdom From The [/FONT][FONT=&quot]F[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ounding Fathers[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]“A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own [/FONT][FONT=&quot]government”------ [/FONT][FONT=&quot]George [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Washington[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]“The [/FONT][FONT=&quot]strongest reason for the people retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]government”--------[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Thomas [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Jefferson[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” -----Thomas Jefferson[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]“A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.”----- Thomas Jefferson[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Wisdom From The Founding Fathers II[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves...and include all men capable of bearing arms." (Richard Henry Lee, Additional Letters from the Federal Framers (1788) at 169) [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -------George Mason[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]"What, Sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.... Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins." (Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts, spoken during floor debate over the Second Amendment [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Important Supreme Court Cases[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]There were 2 major Supreme Court cases[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]District Of Columbia (D.C.) vs. Heller[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]In the D.C. vs. Heller case the Supreme Court ruled D.C.’s gun control laws unconstitutional[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Chicago vs. McDonald[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]In the Chicago vs. McDonald case the Supreme court ruled that Chicago’s gun laws were ruled to be in “conflict” with the Second Amendment.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Firearms from 1700[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Military weapons[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]In the 1700s muskets and swords were the firearms of choice[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]Most of the cannons used in the Revolutionary War were privately owned[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Civilian weapons[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]In the 1700s muskets and rifles were the firearms of choice[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Musket is a smooth bore[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]A rifle puts spin on the bullet[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Civilians owned cannons[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Firearms Today[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Military weapons[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]Full-automatic AR -15 assault rifle[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]Semi-automatic 9mm hand gun[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]Many other high powered and explosive devices [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Civilian weapons [/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]Semi-automatic AR -15 sporting rifle[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]Semi-automatic hand guns [/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]Some fully-automatic weapons available [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Extensive background checks and registration[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]BATF tax stamp required[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Gun Laws 1700-Present[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]In the beginning George Mason, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and James Madison wanted the citizens of the United States to be armed with the same ammunition and arms that the standing army had.[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]They left gun laws very loose.[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]In response to criminal activity, the government started creating gun restriction laws.[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Now there are over 20,000 gun restriction laws.[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Some including you have to pay an allotted amount of money to get a special tax stamp allowing you to own a fully-automatic firearm.[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]It is the same thing for a suppresser (typically known as a silencer) you pay an allotted amount of money to get a special tax stamp that says that you are “qualified” to own one.[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Bans on Firearms?[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]The government has already made it really hard and expensive to get a fully-automatic firearm[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]I feel that banning them all together would be a waste of time[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]Criminals and those who want to hurt other people always find a way[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]For example, the guy in China who went into a school and stabbed all those children[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]So does this mean they should ban knives?[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]It is also notable that those people who committed many of the terrible acts were on Anti-depressant drugs[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]I had a family member on those same drugs and because of that he committed suicide[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]We have to ask our selves, are firearms really the problem? Or are they just an instrument?[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]More Bans on Firearms?[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]The majority of firearms owned in America are in fact semi-automatic [/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]This includes rifles, pistols, and shot guns[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]Semi-automatic is [/FONT][FONT=&quot]not[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the same as fully-automatic[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]The result of making semi-automatic firearms illegal to own is that only the people who don’t abide by the laws will have them[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Is this what we want?[/FONT]
    ™™[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Protection vs. Bans[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot] In an emergency break-in it takes police [/FONT][FONT=&quot]10-15 minutes on average [/FONT][FONT=&quot]to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]respond[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]What do you do until the police arrive?[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]Do you run out of the house, hide in a closet or just scream?[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]If you were home alone with a sibling or someone you were babysitting how would you protect them if an [/FONT][FONT=&quot]armed [/FONT][FONT=&quot]robber broke in?[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]If guns are banned, the only defense you might have is a kitchen knife or something along those lines[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]How do you protect your family?[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Let me describe another situation for you.[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]A petite girl walks home alone after dark and a big burly man comes at her,[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]What happens when he reaches her?[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]When guns are banned physical size decides the issue[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]How do you protect your self?[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Summary[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]The founding fathers intended for all citizens to have the same arms as the standing army[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]The founding fathers included the Second [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A[/FONT][FONT=&quot]mendment so that [/FONT][FONT=&quot]all[/FONT][FONT=&quot] citizens could protect themselves and their states[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Firearms have changed significantly but the principal of self defense has not[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Gun laws have become more restrictive since the writing of the Second Amendment[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Additional legislation is not necessary[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Summary II[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Additional firearms legislation is not necessary [/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]20,000 laws already exist and are not well enforced[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]Banning firearms does not reduce violent crime[/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot]Chicago, New York, Washington D.C. and Detroit have very strict gun control laws and high violent crime rates[/FONT]
    –[FONT=&quot]Law abiding citizens are the only ones that are affected by laws[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ™[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Thanks Mosinowner, great suggestion. She has the Constitution, The Bill of Rights, The Federalist Papers and DC vs Heller all loaded on her laptop. She is "well armed" so to speak.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Another thing that would be interesting would be to incorporate similar language from many STATE constitutions. Take a look at these especially since these states were all involved with the ratification of the Constitution - PA, CT, DE, MA, NH, and VT.

Self-defense is at the root of the 2A. The security of a free state, etc. is simply aggregated self-defense of a government that is "of, by, and for the people."

A related thread - https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._argument_we_all_need_in_our_back_pocket.html

If one doesn't go all the way back to the principle of self-defense,
    concomitant with the right to life, one's political opponent can always point to our large standing army as proof the 2A is no longer relevant. Going back to the root of self-defense prevents this.

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I appreciate all the quality responses so far. She needs to turn in the assignment by Friday so we have time to do more research between now and then.

Classic - Not sure if this will help or not, but this is a short paper I wrote a while back for one of my college course assignments. You (well, your daughter) are free to use it if you believe it might add to her assignment. Even the whackjob liberal Professor had to give me an 'A' for the class, LOL.

IF she uses it, remember she must provide a citation. I do NOT state this out of ego. This is out there on the internet, so I don't want the teacher maybe Googling it, finding it online, then accusing your daughter of some sort of plagiarism. Especially so since the teacher is already giving your daughter a bit of a hard time. PM me if she chooses to use it, or part of it, and I'll most happily provide her the appropriate citation.

The 2nd Amendment

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of thepeople to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed”.

Seems there’s a lot of misinformation about the 2nd Amendment, and what it actually means.Those who hate the 2nd of the rights provided to citizens under the Bill of Rights constantly want to ‘re-interpret’ or ‘re-define’ what that wording means, simply are falsely changing the meaning to suit their own agenda. So, let’s use MODERN definitions and see if we can (once again) figure out what our Founding Fathers were saying.

"A well regulated Militia..." Let's see what a militia actually is:

mi·li·tia - noun

1. a body of citizens enrolled for military service, and called out periodically for drill but serving full time only in emergencies.

2. a body of citizen soldiers as distinguished from professional soldiers.

3. all able-bodied males considered by law eligible for military service.

4. a body of citizens organized in a paramilitary group and typically regarding themselves as defenders of individual rights against the presumed interference of the federal government.

All those definitions are relevant, but I highlighted the two most relevant to discussion of the 2nd Amendment. And note that in ALL the definitions it specifically refers to CITIZENS, civilians, and NOT professional military / soldiers, etc.

"...being necessary to the security of a free State..."

Being necessary to the security of a free State. Being required in order to maintain freedom for the citizens of that particular State / defined land area and to insure freedom in their person, place, and things from any and all that would attempt to usurp that freedom.

"...the right of the people..."

That says the RIGHT​ of the people, a.k.a. the citizens of that State (which includes the conglomeration of individual sovereignties known as the United States). NOT the"privilege" or "permission", or "allowance if someone thinks they should allow it", but the RIGHT.

"...to keep..."

keep - verb

1. to hold or retain in one's possession.

2. to hold or have the use of for a period of time.

"...and bear..."

There aresome 30 definitions, but let’s limit it to those appropriate to the 2nd Amendment.

7. to hold or carry (oneself, one's body, one's head, etc.).

12. to carry; bring.

By either definition (or any other), to 'bear' means to possess and carry. Meaning to take it along and carry it as one moves from place to place.

"...Arms..."

arm - noun

1. Usually, arms. weapons, especially firearms.

"...shall not be infringed..."

infringe - verb (used with object)

1. to commit a breach or infraction of, violate or transgress.

verb (used without object)

2. to encroach or trespass (usually followed by on or upon).

BOTH of those definitions are relevant.

So, it would appear, using MODERN definitions (no reference to "old guys from centuries past"), in layman’s terms the 2nd Amendment states quite specifically that a responsible, law-abiding citizen, in order to protect them self and others in his community or any area in which they are located, have the absolute right to possess and carry with them at all times a firearm, and that right can NOT be violated under any circumstances by any other person or group. Period.

That's MODERN definitions in MODERN times, to discount any argument or debate about the 2nd Amendment or U.S. Constitution being 'old' language or somehow out of date or context.

There is simply no other valid meaning or ‘interpretation’ that can be given.

Last edited:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I do appreciate all of the great responses but I have to add that she gave this presentation 4 weeks ago, in the first week of March. Her teacher was good enough to give her the A she deserved for her work.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I do appreciate all of the great responses but I have to add that she gave this presentation 4 weeks ago, in the first week of March. Her teacher was good enough to give her the A she deserved for her work.

yes, but some of us have this bookmarked for future reference.
    And sooner or later, someone else will ask the same question, and we can send them here.

So, you have helped more than your daughter by posting this question.

Yes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    She did an excellent job! :patriot:

When confronted by such liberal nonsense, I say simply "Have you ever heard of Heroin? It has destroyed milions of lives, and it's entirely illegal!"

Top Bottom