• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I picked up a cz82 that had been "stripped and polished" by a previous owner. It's in sad shape to say the least. I am wanting to strip it down, sand, and either polish or paint it. I am looking for somewhere that stocks duracoat kits or something similar. If they have spare parts/kits for the CZ82 that's a bonus. I would like somewhere off of 69 or 31 north of Indy between here and Michigan. I am heading up to our property in Michigan on Tuesday and would like to stop somewhere on the way up there.

Now, onto the pics.

1c8f9104.jpg

70d40293.jpg

a2b6dc76.jpg

533091ef.jpg

4a608cbc.jpg

58880d55.jpg

4d0dfa18.jpg

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Just my $0.02, but given the crumby 'prep' that's already been commited I think your most expedient and cost-effective solution might be having it lightly bead blasted and then Dura/Cera/Whatever coated. It's finicky, tedious hand work to try and salvage poor metal prep by hand polishing and doing it well with a wheel takes a good deal of skill and practice.

Just MHO, but it's what I'd likely do if it were mine.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The grips look to be in good shape. :) Seriously though... it's a $200 gun on a good day. (Best $200 gun I've ever bought!) You could probably find one with a decent finish with worse grips and switch 'em out. :dunno: And save the "finished" gun for parts. Internals weren't touched with that grinding stone were they?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just my $0.02, but given the crumby 'prep' that's already been commited I think your most expedient and cost-effective solution might be having it lightly bead blasted and then Dura/Cera/Whatever coated. It's finicky, tedious hand work to try and salvage poor metal prep by hand polishing and doing it well with a wheel takes a good deal of skill and practice.

Just MHO, but it's what I'd likely do if it were mine.

How much would all that cost? I have no knowledge when it comes to that sort of thing, but it sounds expensive! :): I guess you would end up with a pretty good looking pistol though.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    IME, a very large component in the potential cost for this sort of a job is the skilled labor time it takes to detail strip the piece to prepare the slide and frame for the bead blast cabinet and reassembling the finished piece. If you're up to doing those yourself, the saving can be as much or more than the cost for the bead blasting and finish application.

Just having a stripped frame and slide masked properly and bead blasted should run about $50-65 depending on the 'smith's hourly rate. As for the Duracoat, Brownell's, Midway USA and a lot of other outfits sell complete DIY kits, some of which don't even require an air compressor or spray gun. If you're fairly handy with tools, patient, careful and can follow directions the job isn't beyond the realm of DIY. It's the quality of the surface prep that makes the single biggest difference in how well the finished product turns out.

There are several folks here at INGO who do this sort of work either professionally or as a 'second income' hobby. IMHO, it would be worthwhile to make a few calls and see what they say. As the pistol appears to stand now, it's value as either a shooter or "trade goods" ain't likely to amount to much. With a nicely done refinish, IMO, it shouldn't be too hard to at least break-even on it, even after it's seen a good many more rounds of use.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    I have one that you can fire double action but not single. The action slides right past the single action stop making it a DA only. If you "Carefully" operate the slide manually it will work SA. Probably a sear problem but I haven't found a gunsmith to work on it. One old timer I took it to said his eyes and fingers aren't that good any more. Still looking.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    This gun is entirely a learning experience for me. I want to detail strip it to see if I can put it back together. If its going to be apart, I may as well fix what I can with the finish. I'm basically just going to do what I can with the dremel and very minimal hand sanding. I also want to see what the duracoat etc. is like to use.

I don't have a lot of money in the gun really considering it came with 400 rounds of ammo. If it never gets pretty, I'm not worried about it. It can always become a truck gun.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This gun is entirely a learning experience for me. I want to detail strip it to see if I can put it back together. If its going to be apart, I may as well fix what I can with the finish. I'm basically just going to do what I can with the dremel and very minimal hand sanding. I also want to see what the duracoat etc. is like to use.

I don't have a lot of money in the gun really considering it came with 400 rounds of ammo. If it never gets pretty, I'm not worried about it. It can always become a truck gun.
    Well, it would be a good gun to practice your refinishing on I guess. I bought mine as a "beater gun", but it wound up being my EDC (at least in cooler weather) just because I liked it so much and because it's a great shooter. Make sure you post pics of how it comes out! :yesway:

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    If it was me i would "brush finish" it. flatten up all the large angles then take a heavy bristle brush and go at it. All in the same direction of course. Some people use a light wire brush but thats not really what i prefer but it will work

Jmak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I just received a duracoat flat dark earth. I plan on doing a CZ82 and a P6 with it. If I am smart enough, I will then post pictures. I am in no hurry to do this. My biggest concerns is what do I tape off? I do not think it would be good to resin tne firing pin etc. Any thoughts? ( I ordered it through Midway USA. Really fast delivery. You can order direct from the mfr but shipping is more.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom