• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    October 31 is called Reformation Day, commemorating an important event in church history. It was this day in 1517 that Martin Luther distributed his famous “95 theses” which confronted the Roman Catholic Church on its extra-biblical traditions, sale of “indulgences,” the concept of papal supremacy, the role of sacraments, the Catholic doctrine of salvation-by-works, and other perceived blasphemies.

Luther’s letter led to a breakaway from the Roman Catholic Church and the formation of the first Protestant denominations. It was then, for the first time, that scripture was translated into German, Luther’s native language. Protestant reformers agreed that Christianity needed to return to the scripture as a source of truth, not traditions invented by men claiming infallibility.

The reformers came to an agreement on a set of principles known as the “Five Solas.” In summary, salvation comes from God’s grace alone (“sola gratia”), by our faith alone (“sola fide”), in Christ alone (“solus Christus”), for the glory of God alone (“soli Deo gloria”), found in the words of scripture alone (“sola scriptura”).

The Roman Catholics reacted by excommunicating the so-called “heretics” and convened the Council of Trent. There, they reaffirmed their official beliefs: that all non-Catholics are accursed! They produced a long list of canons and decrees which condemned people for differing from the Roman Catholic monopoly on Christianity. Among the condemned:
    • anyone who believes in salvation by faith alone
    • anyone who doubts the existence of Purgatory
    • anyone who writes any unauthorized literature on any religious topic
    • anyone who questions the Catholic use of sacred icons and imagery
    • anyone who doubts the practice of infant baptism
    • anyone who questions the 7 official Catholic sacraments
    • anyone who questions the priesthood
    • anyone who thinks that sacraments are not necessary to receive God’s grace
    • anyone who questions the perpetual sacrifice of Jesus during every Catholic mass
    • anyone who thinks mass should be performed in a language familiar to the people
    • anyone who questions the profitable market of selling indulgences

Point-by-point, all these viewpoints (and more) were anathematized, damned to destruction, and remain that way to this day.

To say the least it is an interesting piece of church history and a gives us a good opportunity to reflect on where our true doctrine comes from.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Also, today is known as "All Saints Day." A great day to remember those that have passed on before us to live with God in Heaven. Today's service had some great hymns, and a few verses in those hymns always stand out to me and bring a lump to my throat thinking of loved ones that have passed.

"For all the saints" has some great metaphors in it, and has some great line that are also quite literal in meaning thinking to our brave men and women that have fallen in the line of duty.
    For All the Saints
    For all the saints, who from their labors rest,
    Who Thee by faith before the world confessed,
    Thy Name, O Jesus, be forever blessed.
    Alleluia, Alleluia!

Thou wast their Rock, their Fortress and their Might;
    Thou, Lord, their Captain in the well fought fight;
    Thou, in the darkness drear, their one true Light.
    Alleluia, Alleluia!

For the Apostles’ glorious company,
    Who bearing forth the Cross o’er land and sea,
    Shook all the mighty world, we sing to Thee:
    Alleluia, Alleluia!

For the Evangelists, by whose blest word,
    Like fourfold streams, the garden of the Lord,
    Is fair and fruitful, be Thy Name adored.
    Alleluia, Alleluia!

For Martyrs, who with rapture kindled eye,
    Saw the bright crown descending from the sky,
    And seeing, grasped it, Thee we glorify.
    Alleluia, Alleluia!

O blest communion, fellowship divine!
    We feebly struggle, they in glory shine;
    All are one in Thee, for all are Thine.
    Alleluia, Alleluia!

O may Thy soldiers, faithful, true and bold,
    Fight as the saints who nobly fought of old,
    And win with them the victor’s crown of gold.
    Alleluia, Alleluia!

And when the strife is fierce, the warfare long,
    Steals on the ear the distant triumph song,
    And hearts are brave, again, and arms are strong.
    Alleluia, Alleluia!

The golden evening brightens in the west;
    Soon, soon to faithful warriors comes their rest;
    Sweet is the calm of paradise the blessed.
    Alleluia, Alleluia!

But lo! there breaks a yet more glorious day;
    The saints triumphant rise in bright array;
    The King of glory passes on His way.
    Alleluia, Alleluia!

From earth’s wide bounds, from ocean’s farthest coast,
    Through gates of pearl streams in the countless host,
    And singing to Father, Son and Holy Ghost:
    Alleluia, Alleluia!

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Thanks for the post.

I am a member of the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church and the sermon on Sunday was about the reformation. It was mentioned that some people believe that because the religion is called "Lutheran" we put Martin Luther above Jesus, and/or pray to him. That is not the case. He was just a guy. A very smart guy who did a lot in his lifetime, but still just a guy. Luther wanted to emphasize scripture and not things that the church has essentially 'made up.' Personally, I agree with that. I have been brought up Lutheran since I was little, so maybe I am biased, but it all makes sense to me.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Some people think that we Southern Baptists value fried chicken and biscuits and gravy above Jesus...

We're working on that.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Thanks for the post.

I am a member of the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church and the sermon on Sunday was about the reformation. It was mentioned that some people believe that because the religion is called "Lutheran" we put Martin Luther above Jesus, and/or pray to him. That is not the case. He was just a guy. A very smart guy who did a lot in his lifetime, but still just a guy. Luther wanted to emphasize scripture and not things that the church has essentially 'made up.' Personally, I agree with that. I have been brought up Lutheran since I was little, so maybe I am biased, but it all makes sense to me.

Are there any Lutheran synods or sects who still adhere to even a fraction of what Luther taught/believed?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Are there any Lutheran synods or sects who still adhere to even a fraction of what Luther taught/believed?

Can you elaborate a bit? By default the Lutheran denomination (of which there are multiple synods) are based on Luther's reforms to the Catholic church.

Some have taken different interpretations of those and do have slightly different doctrine.

If there are specific questions I'm sure myself or Jagee could discuss the Missouri Synod.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Can you elaborate a bit? By default the Lutheran denomination (of which there are multiple synods) are based on Luther's reforms to the Catholic church.

Some have taken different interpretations of those and do have slightly different doctrine.

If there are specific questions I'm sure myself or Jagee could discuss the Missouri Synod.

I know of no modern Lutheran who adheres to Luther's positions on:

1. Contraception
    2. Marriage/divorce
    3. Female Ministers/Priests
    4. Consubstantiation

Etc.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I know of no modern Lutheran who adheres to Luther's positions on:

1. Contraception
    2. Marriage/divorce
    3. Female Ministers/Priests
    4. Consubstantiation

Etc.

Is there any modern religious person who adheres to the church's beliefs/practices 100% without fail no matter the denomination?

I admit I am *relatively* young and naive, so I don't know Luther's positions on the 4 things you listed for sure, but I assume I know his stance. So, just because the church teaches/believes it does not mean the people will do it. It is also wrong to lust and covet, but it still happens. Every single day. This all brings us to the by grace through faith thing. (Eph 2:8-9). We will all sin and fall short of the glory of God, (Rom 3:23), but by His grace through our faith we will be saved. No matter if we used contraception after our divorce or not.

Top Bottom