• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jarhead1970

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Danville
    Thought long and hard about this but I've decided to register as a democrat. My reasoning for this is quite simple really. That way I can vote AGAINST Hillary TWICE!!:):

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well, you don't "register" you just tell them what ballot you want. I've voted in the Democratic primary most elections as by the time we get around to Indiana, I'm most concerned with local races ant I like some local Democrats.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You need to move to a different state then. Party registrations dont work that way here. You can join a party, but you can still ask for either ballot when you vote in the primary.

And careful with the short posts...

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    Actually if you're going to take the Democratic ballot on the primary you want to vote for the person least likely to win against any Republican candidate which would be you would want to vote for Hillary

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well, you don't "register" you just tell them what ballot you want. I've voted in the Democratic primary most elections as by the time we get around to Indiana, I'm most concerned with local races ant I like some local Democrats.

I though that technically IN doesn't have true open primaries? By requesting a Dem or Rep ballot you are swearing that you either voted for a majority of that party in the last general election or intend to do so in the next. While there is no way to prove it, isn't it technically voter fraud if neither are true?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I though that technically IN doesn't have true open primaries? By requesting a Dem or Rep ballot you are swearing that you either voted for a majority of that party in the last general election or intend to do so in the next. While there is no way to prove it, isn't it technically voter fraud if neither are true?

Voter registration records indicate which party you voted for in the last 8-10 primaries based on which party you chose for your primary vote. When you declare your political party during the primary elections in May you're not swearing to anything.

Our primary is so late in the cycle it has virtually no affect on the outcome...but it is a true open primary.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Voter registration records indicate which party you voted for in the last 8-10 primaries based on which party you chose for your primary vote. When you declare your political party during the primary elections in May you're not swearing to anything.

Our primary is so late in the cycle it has virtually no affect on the outcome...but it is a true open primary.

It may record which primary a person voted in. But not who you voted for in the general. And I was going from memory, which I shouldn't have. The intends to vote applies if the voter didn't vote in the last general. But no IN does not have a true open primary. Per IC.
    So if you voted in the last general for a majority of Rs you are not allowed to take a D primary ballot and vice versa. Doing so is a form of voter fraud.
    A voter may vote at a primary election:
    (1) if the voter, at the last general election, voted for a majority of the regular nominees of the political party holding the primary election; or
    (2) if the voter did not vote at the last general election, but intends to vote at the next general election for a majority of the regular nominees of the political party holding the primary election;
    as long as the voter was registered as a voter at the last general election or has registered since then.
    As added by P.L.5-1986, SEC.6. - See more at: Ind. Code § 3-10-1-6 : Indiana Code - Section 3-10-1-6: Eligible voters

So yes I would say you are swearing that one of the above is true.

Texican

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2016
    Portage
    So, since this will be my first major election as a resident of Indiana, if I vote R in the primary, but in 4 years the L's have an actual candidate contest, I can't vote L?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

I chose a Democrat ballot for the first (and hopefully last!) time for the 2008 primary, since McCain had already been decided as the Republican nominee.
    The reason?
    Operation Chaos - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rush_Limbaugh_Show#Operation_Chaos
    IOW, I wasn't for Hillary, but knew instinctively that Obama was much worse, and it only made sense to throw up some obstructions to his coast to the nomination.
    I knew it wouldn't stop him, but it's worth mentioning that Indiana gave the Hildabeest the advantage in that primary by a narrow margin.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    It may record which primary a person voted in. But not who you voted for in the general. And I was going from memory, which I shouldn't have. The intends to vote applies if the voter didn't vote in the last general. But no IN does not have a true open primary. Per IC.
    So if you voted in the last general for a majority of Rs you are not allowed to take a D primary ballot and vice versa. Doing so is a form of voter fraud.

So yes I would say you are swearing that one of the above is true.

People can change their minds...and they do all the time. Bad law...very hard to enforce.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    So, since this will be my first major election as a resident of Indiana, if I vote R in the primary, but in 4 years the L's have an actual candidate contest, I can't vote L?

It is what you vote in the general not the primary that matters technically, if in the general election you vote a majority R card, then you are supposed to request a R primary card for the next election. And they currently have an actual candidate contest. You have to be a registered L (with them not the state) and attend their convention.

People can change their minds...and they do all the time. Bad law...very hard to enforce.

Virtually impossible to enforce. But do you now agree that technically IN does not have an open primary?

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It is what you vote in the general not the primary that matters technically, if in the general election you vote a majority R card, then you are supposed to request a R primary card for the next election. And they currently have an actual candidate contest. You have to be a registered L (with them not the state) and attend their convention.

Virtually impossible to enforce. But do you now agree that technically IN does not have an open primary?

Okay, not technically an open primary state, but only because it's not expressly written that it is one.
    However, it's still effectively an open primary state.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Okay, not technically an open primary state, but only because it's not expressly written that it is one.
    However, it's still effectively an open primary state.

What do you mean by "only because it's not expressly written that it is one.", by written law it is expressly not one.

And yes it effectively works as one if your dishonest and don't mind committing voter fraud. That is if you know the law, as evidenced in this thread there are a lot that don't. Which kinda pisses me off about all the websites that list open and closed states, along with newscasts and even some politicians who say it is an open primary.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I chose a Democrat ballot for the first (and hopefully last!) time for the 2008 primary, since McCain had already been decided as the Republican nominee.
    The reason?
    Operation Chaos - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rush_Limbaugh_Show#Operation_Chaos
    IOW, I wasn't for Hillary, but knew instinctively that Obama was much worse, and it only made sense to throw up some obstructions to his coast to the nomination.
    I knew it wouldn't stop him, but it's worth mentioning that Indiana gave the Hildabeest the advantage in that primary by a narrow margin.

Lol, "instinctively" ' eh? We'll revisit this in 4 or so years.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    What do you mean by "only because it's not expressly written that it is one.", by written law it is expressly not one.

And yes it effectively works as one if your dishonest and don't mind committing voter fraud. That is if you know the law, as evidenced in this thread there are a lot that don't. Which kinda pisses me off about all the websites that list open and closed states, along with newscasts and even some politicians who say it is an open primary.

Yeah, okay.
    Vote fraud
    I'll start worrying about that the moment that I get killed by a unicorn sliding down a rainbow.

Top Bottom